Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 90
  1. #41  
    The 650 now the king of smartphones wasn't looked at like that in the beginning. I remember treocentral, and many web sites criticizing it when it came out. Remember these? The 650 had to get fixed.

    The Sprint v1.12 update provides improvements in several areas including:

    Enables Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking (DUN) allows a Treo 650 to act as a modem when paired with a Bluetooth enabled laptop. (Use of this functionality requires the selection of an appropriate pricing plan from Sprint.)
    Adds support for more Bluetooth carkits including Acura, BMW, Chrysler and Toyota Prius (see all compatible car kits )
    Reduces post-dial delay before a call is connected
    Provides additional ways to send a SMS message from the Missed Call Alert or Call Log
    Updates VersaMail to version 3.1 to enhance stability and add improvements


    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 Updater 1.13
    The Unlocked GSM software v1.13 update provides improvements in several areas including:
    Improved memory management -- includes non-volatile file system (NVFS) improvements that optimize memory handling and free up more memory. palmOne implemented a NVFS system in the new Treo 650 because of the strong benefits it provides: preserving data and applications if the battery runs down, and the ability to change the battery on the fly. In the original implementation, NVFS stored each record in 512 byte blocks.
    This software update reduces the overhead of storing database records in the file system. It does so by compacting more than one record into a single 512 byte block. In effect, each 512 block is divided into 16 32 byte subblocks, which allows small and large records to be stored more efficiently.

    Overall voice quality improvements and enhanced call clarity
    Updates VersaMail to enhance stability and add improvements
    Latest carrier settings files

    Palm was giving customers 128mb sd cards because of the memory issue. In my opinion the 700p is doing well compared to the first days of the 650.
    Jimmie Geddes
  2. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    I don't understand people that complain that something sucks or is worthless, when they can just return it, get their money back and move on, theres many other devices out there, no 1 device is perfect, people with the 700w are not happy and the ones with the 700p either, same goes with all products out there, people always think the grass is greener on the other side.Try Different products and be the judge and choose the one that best fits your needs.
    alright, now you've done it. here we are rehashing, and rehashing. then you have to chime in with common sense. the nerve of some people.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    Let me help you to understand, at least with Apple: they consistently improve on their devices, their OS gets better with ever iteration.
    I wish that were true with the iPods!
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    Let me help you to understand, at least with Apple: they consistently improve on their devices, their OS gets better with ever iteration. I like Sony hardware because it works great; their pro audio gear is excellent, and is used by many professional musicians, myself included, in studios all over Nashville.

    As to Palm, I won't get my 700p until tomorrow, so I hope not to be one of those complaining about the 700p. I can't imagine using it without loading my favorite apps (Agendus, Snapper, TakePhone, 2Dial, Verichat, 4Cast, SplashPhoto, StockBroker, etc.), so if adding software presents an issue, then I too will be an unhappy camper.

    Apple is careful to test their hardware (and software) thoroughly before releasing it; Apple's famous for not releasing constant "beta" software to the general public, as opposed to a well-known "other" operating system which shall remain nameless. As to their hardware, I have a machine room with 28 Apple servers in it, and in the 10+ years that I've been hosting websites and databases, I've had 1 motherboard failure and 2 hard drive failures; on my PC I've now replaced the motherboard twice, the CPU once. This isn't a slam against Windows, this is a slam of mediocre hardware manufacturers who throw together PC boxes with little regard for quality.

    As to Palm releasing a device that's not ready for public use, I'll have more to say on that in 24 hours; if the 700p indeed fails to best the 650, then they rushed to market too soon and should have done more testing.

    It's interesting to note that there are literally millions of iPods in the world, and you rarely if ever hear about any hardware problems with that device, in any of the many versions. There are many many more iPods than Treos in the world, yet you never read articles about their having design flaws; this is a tribute to a successful alpha and beta campaign.

    However, having said all that, what I get tired of reading are all the negative posts about the Treo, no matter what Palm chooses to do. If they release a new device, there are guaranteed to be a pile of Treo-bashers; if they wait to release it, then there are another pile of disgruntled potential buyers who say that it's taking too long to reach the market. The old adage still holds true: you can't please all of the people ALL of the time.

    I guess you haven't heard of the constant batteries exploding with the MacBooks. As for iPods, have you ever wondered why the batteries fail after one year? Steve Jobs recently slipped his toungue on record, doing an interview for a magazine stating "the batteries don't last because we have a new model out every year, why would consumers want to keep an outdated one". Again, I stand behind my original statement. All major companies care about one thing, PROFITS.
  5. #45  
    I appreciate this type of thread because it addresses what seems to be the principal complaint regarding the 700p. While I am not completely discouraged from purchasing one, this issue has certainly given me pause. If the 700p requires a standard tweak of the software programs that were running fine on the 650, I think we would have known it by now; I don't think that's it. There seems to be a more fundamental problem and people are trying to find it, some by complaining, which is understandable imho. There seems to be some disagreement as to whether or not all 700ps are affected (it's beginning to look like they are) and these discussions will be helpful in getting to the bottom of it all a bit faster maybe.
  6. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by snahabed
    This is a big reason I am waiting for an 800S (Symbian), 800L (Linux), or dream of all dreams, 800M (Mac). I refuse to further support Palm OS and I will be damned if I am moving to Windows Mobile.

    Maybe the Linuxification of Palm OS will be a good thing, but the Palm OS was a dinosaur YEARS ago, and not acceptable for me in 2006.
    Well, I'm sure Palm will be morified to here that. I hear the stock market crashing right now.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon
    I don't really understand how Palm is at fault completely when I'm certain that a lot of older apps are what are causing the slowdowns.
    The sad part is that history suggests you are right. Every new Palm leaves orphan application programs in its wake.
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon
    My Treo is plenty fast, but I noticed when re-installing older apps that I would get lag and even a crash or two. Don''t you guys think that when we get some updated apps that are designed to work with the new version of frankengarnet we'll solve some of these issues?
    Perhaps. However, Palm's disregard for backwards compatibility inflates the coffers of the software publishers at the expense of their most loyal customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon
    Patience is a virtue. I, for one, welcome our new 700p overlords.
    Perhaps. Perhaps the real virtue is making one out of a necessity.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    I don't understand people that complain that something sucks or is worthless, ......
    Might it be because they expected an upgrade for their $700-?
  9. akula34's Avatar
    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Might it be because they expected an upgrade for their $700-?
    Would you buy a car without test driving it? Why would you pay $700 before you'd even put your hands on the device to try it out? C'mon now. Don't blame Palm because you think it should be something it's not.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  10. #50  
    Until I read this I was excited about the speed my 700p has over the 650. Substantial increase in web access. Now I will have to reconsider. Or, maybe not.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by cha0s
    As for iPods, have you ever wondered why the batteries fail after one year? Steve Jobs recently slipped his toungue on record, doing an interview for a magazine stating "the batteries don't last because we have a new model out every year, why would consumers want to keep an outdated one".
    OT
    Okay, now I don't like Mac's myself and dont' ever use 'em and I hate how the Ipod battery doesn't last too long...

    having said that I really think you misconstrued what Jobs said (unless I have it wrong and this is something else, which by all means please correct with link)

    Jobs said, in response to a question from Williams about why a new iPod might seem outdated as soon as you take it out of the box. Then Jobs offered a bit of advice to consumers: "If you always want the latest and greatest, then you have to buy a new iPod at least once a year."
    Link

    Nothing about why this is why the battery doesn't last long and he certainly didn't let his tongue slip as what he said is freakin' obvious.

    feel so dirty now for defending Jobs...

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by cha0s
    I guess you haven't heard of the constant batteries exploding with the MacBooks. As for iPods, have you ever wondered why the batteries fail after one year? Steve Jobs recently slipped his toungue on record, doing an interview for a magazine stating "the batteries don't last because we have a new model out every year, why would consumers want to keep an outdated one".
    I don't recall that article; I'd love to know where that quote originated... they still manage to have 80% market share.

    Quote Originally Posted by cha0s
    Again, I stand behind my original statement. All major companies care about one thing, PROFITS.
    I do know that *some* batteries have been troublesome on MacBooks, but it certainly hasn't been a "constant" problem.

    As for iPod battery issues, I'm on my 3rd one (just because I wanted newer and better), and none of them had battery issues.

    OF COURSE major companies care about profits; that's the reason they're in business. They're not humanitarian concerns, they're business entities. However, having said that, it's clear that Apple's hardware record is far superior to most hardware companies these days, as the recent PC World award clearly shows. However, hardware by its very nature is never perfect, and there are going to be problems; even the best-made products have bad runs sometimes, as was clearly the case with MacBook batteries.

    But let's not spin into an Apple flame war... there's no point in it, and this isn't the forum for it anyway.

    The thing is this: if all companies concerned themselves with was profits, then none of them would last very long. Product quality is what has kept me returning to certain brands, chief among them Apple, Sony, Palm, Infiniti, Honda, TiVo, Yamaha (musical instruments).
    Last edited by longterm; 06/04/2006 at 03:39 PM.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34
    Would you buy a car without test driving it? Why would you pay $700 before you'd even put your hands on the device to try it out? C'mon now. Don't blame Palm because you think it should be something it's not.
    You need not get all huffy with me. I was not blaming anyone. I only suggested a reasonable possibility to someone who was puzzled.

    As to buying without test driving, the problems being discussed here would not show up in anything short of a full-scale, instrumented, test. Perhaps someone should send the Palm developers a copy of pbench.

    Perhaps I am a lucky GSM customer. Those here are doing all the testing for me.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    Thanks for the WARNING. Now get rid of your Treo and get a Nokia 3588i...

    My T650 flies out of the gate at 110 clicks in 1 second. Always has with nothing running in hede..

    My new T700p flies out of the gate at 94 clicks in one second. Nothing running in hede. It appears the T700p is faster according to Palminternals speed test.

    The 700p connects calls a LOT faster than the T650.

    Apps load faster on the 700p.

    Chuck
    Total BS. Please post your pbench data access score. After that, let me know just how much less it is than the nearly 1400% that my 650 gets. LOL
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstorm92
    The reason he is complaining is because he spent $650 for something that is inferior in many ways to its predecessor. This is a lot of money. Sure he can return it, but we all had hopes that this product would be everything the treo 650 is and then some. But it is not. It is a legitimate complaint. This thing is SLOW. I dont feel it is reasonable for users to bash him for stating opinions on these things.
    I see your point but look at the 650 when it came out , i was an early adopter and it had a bunch of problems and after a few Rom updates , almost everyone was happy with it, that is what happens when you want to be an early adopter, its the price you pay, its an over priced toy, and people that know how Palm works, know this was not going to be perfect out of the box, but we all wanted our new toy, you will see give it some time and most of the kinks will be worked out of this damn thing.
  16. #56  
    I don't mind that they released it prior to removing all of the bugs. If they had waited, I might not have been able to get in with this phone on the SERO plan since it expires at the end of this month.

    Besides, I understand that any new piece of technology and/or software will have its issues. Look at MS Windows...it has constant bugs, but it hold the majority of market share. If we were to wait for all its bugs to be worked out, we might still be on Windows 3.1 http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34
    Would you buy a car without test driving it? Why would you pay $700 before you'd even put your hands on the device to try it out? C'mon now. Don't blame Palm because you think it should be something it's not.
    What he said, most people that buy Treo's are moving on from another smart device, not some crappy regular phone, why would someone spend $700 on a phone that they are just going to use to Text and make calls? so if your going to spend $700 on a phone you better know its features and what your getting for your money, most 650 owners knew exactly what upgrades they were getting, some say they are small upgrades some think they are great like myself. Now if you know the upgrades you are getting for $700 are not worth it, why the hell go out and throw your money away, just keep your old phone that your oviosly happy with and wait for a major upgrade that will make it worth spending $700, dont go buy a Ferrari and then complain that you dont like to drive a manual tranny, you knew what you were getting, its not like Palm lied about their upgrades to this device.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34
    Would you buy a car without test driving it?
    See your local exotic car dealer. Not meant to pick on you, but I'm a gearhead, so I had to clarify some things. Nevertheless, I agree with you on people should do their homework first before flinging around money, and blaming others for being disappointed
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    ...its not like Palm lied about their upgrades to this device.
    With the exception of MP3 ringtones, but I like AAC better anyways
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  20. rockky's Avatar
    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    #60  
    I wanted the 700p for one reason: my 650 browsing was unacceptable.
    I have to say I'm completely satisfied. It blows the 650 out.
    Web to phone produces a lag sometimes and that's it.
    App to app is instantaneous....so is surfing.
    I timed blazer vs 650 Xiino downloading some large sites and it was faster..... dumped Xiino...thank God.I hated that browser.
    It's doubly strange cause syncing issues had me restore data wholesale to my 700 from backupman on my card...(which is how it remains for now).
    It's hard to make sense of this whole speed issue.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions