Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I agree that the 700p is slower than the 650 when using objective measures. However I don't think it's so slow as to be unusable. As a previous poster said, it doesn't feel twice as slow as the 650. Further, in my daily use (typical pda stuff and phone, I don't stream video or audio much and I use an iPod for music) the minimal lag is not at all bothersome.

This obviously bothers the op and he has a right to his opinion--though it could've gone in an existing thread.

Cheers!
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Slower but 100 times more stable..

Only Palm makes their next version slower...

With the 600 to 650, they did less usuable memory...until the rom fix.

I think it has to do with the NV RAM...there's more of it and takes longer to save when switching.
    T700p, The slowest of ALL. DO NOT GET IT
    Oops, too late. I guess I'm stuck with this horrid thing! What will I do!?!!?
    I don't understand people that complain that something sucks or is worthless, when they can just return it, get their money back and move on, theres many other devices out there, no 1 device is perfect, people with the 700w are not happy and the ones with the 700p either, same goes with all products out there, people always think the grass is greener on the other side.Try Different products and be the judge and choose the one that best fits your needs.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    I can't remember exactly, but was the Treo 650 perfect when it was first released or did it take multiple firmware updates to get it to the point its at today? http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/rolleyes.gif
    This is a good point, but must we go through it everytime? This wasn't a HUGE upgrade. There weren't any significant modifications to the way data is stored/accessed. We went through that with the 650-it shouldn't be happening now. I plan on keeping my 700p because after deleting the "hepe" programs the phone is usable though far from perfect. As soon as they figure out the data access problems this phone will be freaking fast. I just think THE MORE WE BOTHER THEM, THE SOONER THEY'LL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. The tech support people keep logs of what kind of issues people have when calling in. CALL THEM AND B**CH THEM OUT!
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    I don't understand people that complain that something sucks or is worthless, when they can just return it, get their money back and move on, theres many other devices out there, no 1 device is perfect, people with the 700w are not happy and the ones with the 700p either, same goes with all products out there, people always think the grass is greener on the other side.Try Different products and be the judge and choose the one that best fits your needs.
    Great point. If I deem my Treo "worthless" it's going back, simple as that. I'm the consumer, not the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203

The reason he is complaining is because he spent $650 for something that is inferior in many ways to its predecessor. This is a lot of money. Sure he can return it, but we all had hopes that this product would be everything the treo 650 is and then some. But it is not. It is a legitimate complaint. This thing is SLOW. I dont feel it is reasonable for users to bash him for stating opinions on these things.
    I can't remember exactly, but was the Treo 650 perfect when it was first released or did it take multiple firmware updates to get it to the point its at today? http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/rolleyes.gif
    HA!
    There was so much screaming about the 650 on here that it caused me (and others) to just skip it and wait for the next (EVDO) generation.
    I don't think it was a bash, it's the cold hard truth. When you have something that you don't like, you have options, you can complain about it, or you can do something about it. Since when is truth "bashing?" I think people like things sugar coated too much these days. I'm having slow problems too, and yes, I've stated my concerns on this forum. However, when it gets to the point where I can't deal with it anymore, it's going back. Simple.
    I can't remember exactly either, but wasn't the treocentral forum full of people complaining about the Treo 650's problems before it had those multiple firmware updates?

Maybe the only reason they updated the firmware was because they read the treocentral forums and did thread counts?
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2
    I don't think it was a bash, it's the cold hard truth. When you have something that you don't like, you have options, you can complain about it, or you can do something about it. Since when is truth "bashing?" I think people like things sugar coated too much these days. I'm having slow problems too, and yes, I've stated my concerns on this forum. However, when it gets to the point where I can't deal with it anymore, it's going back. Simple.
    Please make an "I'm returning my Treo 700p" thread when you do.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    lol. For sure.
    Thanks for the WARNING. Now get rid of your Treo and get a Nokia 3588i...

My T650 flies out of the gate at 110 clicks in 1 second. Always has with nothing running in hede..

My new T700p flies out of the gate at 94 clicks in one second. Nothing running in hede. It appears the T700p is faster according to Palminternals speed test.

The 700p connects calls a LOT faster than the T650.

Apps load faster on the 700p.

Chuck
    Just state it where it's already been stated... if all 567 users (current active # at time of post) had the same b*tch/moan or praise for something, for that matter) - and posted them separately - TC would be an unusable tool...

Same info in 200 different places with no clear direction in getting questions answered or problems solved...

We are here to help one another, and if he doesn't like it... it's all good - move on and best wishes! I just prefer to use this board to learn and help others when they don't have the answer and I do... or they haven't tried it and I have...

Bottom line to consider is that Palm doesn't troll in here to see what the next fix should be... ***** to them as a consumer - few, if any, in here (TC) can change the issue he has -
    -jscott
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    Thanks for the WARNING. Now get rid of your Treo and get a Nokia 3588i...

My T650 flies out of the gate at 110 clicks in 1 second. Always has with nothing running in hede..

My new T700p flies out of the gate at 94 clicks in one second. Nothing running in hede. It appears the T700p is faster according to Palminternals speed test.

The 700p connects calls a LOT faster than the T650.

Apps load faster on the 700p.

Chuck
    pBench data access percentage please...
    Quote Originally Posted by cha0s
    I just don't understand the loyalty some of these customers show to manufacturers such as Palm, Apple, Sony etc. I mean these are companies which only care for one thing, profits. It's not like they are giving away their products for dirt cheap, quite the contrary, we have to shell out big bucks and usually still get a half-assed product. I never, ever owned any electronic equipment which I could honestly believe to be flawless. These overpaid executives are laughing all the way to the bank because we choose to accept these terms.
    Let me help you to understand, at least with Apple: they consistently improve on their devices, their OS gets better with ever iteration. I like Sony hardware because it works great; their pro audio gear is excellent, and is used by many professional musicians, myself included, in studios all over Nashville.

As to Palm, I won't get my 700p until tomorrow, so I hope not to be one of those complaining about the 700p. I can't imagine using it without loading my favorite apps (Agendus, Snapper, TakePhone, 2Dial, Verichat, 4Cast, SplashPhoto, StockBroker, etc.), so if adding software presents an issue, then I too will be an unhappy camper.

Apple is careful to test their hardware (and software) thoroughly before releasing it; Apple's famous for not releasing constant "beta" software to the general public, as opposed to a well-known "other" operating system which shall remain nameless. As to their hardware, I have a machine room with 28 Apple servers in it, and in the 10+ years that I've been hosting websites and databases, I've had 1 motherboard failure and 2 hard drive failures; on my PC I've now replaced the motherboard twice, the CPU once. This isn't a slam against Windows, this is a slam of mediocre hardware manufacturers who throw together PC boxes with little regard for quality.

As to Palm releasing a device that's not ready for public use, I'll have more to say on that in 24 hours; if the 700p indeed fails to best the 650, then they rushed to market too soon and should have done more testing.

It's interesting to note that there are literally millions of iPods in the world, and you rarely if ever hear about any hardware problems with that device, in any of the many versions. There are many many more iPods than Treos in the world, yet you never read articles about their having design flaws; this is a tribute to a successful alpha and beta campaign.

However, having said all that, what I get tired of reading are all the negative posts about the Treo, no matter what Palm chooses to do. If they release a new device, there are guaranteed to be a pile of Treo-bashers; if they wait to release it, then there are another pile of disgruntled potential buyers who say that it's taking too long to reach the market. The old adage still holds true: you can't please all of the people ALL of the time.
    You had me at Apple...
    Quote Originally Posted by cnewtonne
    Execuse for starting a new thread on this. I just felt so strong to warn people of this serious issue. The Treo is painfully slow. Having to encounter 2-3 secs of while screen lags to switch apps is JUST NOT ACCEPATABLE.
    I'll be sure to keep that in mind... and consider yourself "execused." I wouldn't want to buy a device that's not "ACCEPATABLE."

no, not at all...

but I'm not sure that's a good thing either! I think the 700P will be seriously really nice and all that everyone wants it to be...in 6-12 months.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by snahabed
    ... dream of all dreams, 800M (Mac).
    I was one of those people who bought a Newton; it was the most amazing handheld device I've ever seen, and that includes the half-dozen or so different Palms I've owned, including the 650.

The Newton 2000 was too large by half, weighed too much, was only black & white, but what a great device. Its handwriting-recognition was never matched by Graffiti, which incidentally was written for the Newton and which then leapt to the original Palm 100.

We Mac lovers (why do we never hear about PC lovers?) can only dream of an Apple smartphone...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast