Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry for the monologue, quit reading now if you are impatient.

I have been a Tom Tom Navigator 5 user since January using my 650. I was very happy with it. When I upgraded to the 700P I decided to get a Bluetooth GPS receiver to gain portability over my previous cradle based receiver from Seidio. I bought the Globalsat BT-339 through the Telenav offer mentioned on these boards. When I went to install and activate TT on the 700P they locked me out because it was the 2nd reactivation in 6 months due to a previous replaced 650 install. I figured I would have to wait until they open Monday to get the new product and activation codes. However I got an email this evening(Saturday) during the Mavs' victory over Phoenix with the info. Less than 24 hour turn around. I understand the efforts TT is using to fight piracy and I appreciated the rapid response. The Globalsat receiver is great. It is extremely small(slightly larger than 2 treo batteries stacked together) and gets signal under very suboptimal conditions like in my glove box with car in garage. I love the idea of having this receiver in my pocket and using my 700P to navigate while hiking or walking around an area I'm not familiar with looking for a Starbucks!!! Love this technology! Go Mavs!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ttoppins

I have been a Tom Tom Navigator 5 user since January using my 650. I was very happy with it. When I upgraded to the 700P I decided to get a Bluetooth GPS receiver to gain portability over my previous cradle based receiver from Seidio. I bought the Globalsat BT-339 through the Telenav offer mentioned on these boards. When I went to install and activate TT on the 700P they locked me out because it was the 2nd reactivation in 6 months due to a previous replaced 650 install. I figured I would have to wait until they open Monday to get the new product and activation codes. However I got an email this evening(Saturday) during the Mavs' victory over Phoenix with the info. Less than 24 hour turn around. I understand the efforts TT is using to fight piracy and I appreciated the rapid response. The Globalsat receiver is great. It is extremely small(slightly larger than 2 treo batteries stacked together) and gets signal under very suboptimal conditions like in my glove box with car in garage. I love the idea of having this receiver in my pocket and using my 700P to navigate while hiking or walking around an area I'm not familiar with looking for a Starbucks!!! Love this technology! Go Mavs!!!
    But can you still receive phone calls while you are receiving navigation instructions?
    I think Navigator 5 is a nightmare. On the 650 I was getting out of memory messages even though I had 11 Megs remaining. On the 700p, I'm not getting memory messages, but it's not finding the GPS.

I have the same GPS unit and it's like 10 minutes into the drive before Navigator can find and connect with the GPS...

Quote Originally Posted by ttoppins

Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    But can you still receive phone calls while you are receiving navigation instructions?
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    I also would like to know if you can be navigating w tomtom/treo and be able to make/receive calls but continue navigating, rather than having to return to the nav screen only when the call has ended.
    Thanks.
    Have you tried driving around with it - 700p with the BT GPS? On mine the BT is dropped every 2 min or so.
    Are you guys kidding? Or speaking of the Globalsat BT-339 specifically? Or of the installation on a 700?

I bought mine last June (for 650 GSM), had to call Tom Tom to get Europe maps that hadn't been released yet. They shipped them to me direct, walked me through installation on the phone. They were great.

I used in Europe for 2 months in my new 330ci Convertible that I picked up there. Tom Tom 5 wasa lifesaver. Everyday was an actual sight seeing day, not having to look at maps.

Never once did Blue Tooth ever drop nor has it ever in the last year. I use Tom Tom Receiver (Cuz I was buying direct I had to buy it in a package) I am very happy I did. 90% of the time it picks up in less than 1 minute, usually less than 30 seconds.

Not only did I have Navigation in Europe but I had full phone service in every county, SMS and Data service in most.

Here, in America Tom Tom is very very good. I will say that I have had a wierd direction or two on my well known local streets but I love Tom Tom.

Never any bluetooth drop though. In US though my biggest nightmare has been the Sedieo holster for the windshield.
    Seems to a bit of hit and miss for people, very much like the thousands of "my 700p sux0rs!!11!!one!!!" here on TC.

For me, the TTN5 migration from T3 to 700p was extremely easy. I believe that's due to both the app and maps being installed on the card, unlike previous versions.

And yes, one can receive calls while running TTN5. The caveat to that is that the user will need to go back into TTN5 from the launcher; however, the route will recalculate itself. That is, one doesn't (or shouldn't) need to re-enter in the route.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Are you guys kidding? Or speaking of the Globalsat BT-339 specifically? Or of the installation on a 700?

I bought mine last June (for 650 GSM), had to call Tom Tom to get Europe maps that hadn't been released yet. They shipped them to me direct, walked me through installation on the phone. They were great.

I used in Europe for 2 months in my new 330ci Convertible that I picked up there. Tom Tom 5 wasa lifesaver. Everyday was an actual sight seeing day, not having to look at maps.

Never once did Blue Tooth ever drop nor has it ever in the last year. I use Tom Tom Receiver (Cuz I was buying direct I had to buy it in a package) I am very happy I did. 90% of the time it picks up in less than 1 minute, usually less than 30 seconds.

Not only did I have Navigation in Europe but I had full phone service in every county, SMS and Data service in most.

Here, in America Tom Tom is very very good. I will say that I have had a wierd direction or two on my well known local streets but I love Tom Tom.

Never any bluetooth drop though. In US though my biggest nightmare has been the Sedieo holster for the windshield.
    Talking about TT5 on a 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator
    Talking about TT5 on a 700p
    No problems here. One very very minor bug where if I put it in the "see how many satellites we're connected to" mode, then it shuts off (and disconnects) after the normal timeout for Treo 700p.

Other than that, I've been using it without issues forweeks now.

DougKoz
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    Other than that, I've been using it without issues forweeks now.

DougKoz
    Really, how long have you had the 700p?
    Really, how long have you had the 700p?
    Heh. Sorry, "a week", not "weeks"

I got it last Monday and had TomTom installed that night.

DougKoz
    Thanks, DougKoz.
    BTW what version are you using? The TT I mean.
    All I did was put my 650 card into my new 700p. And all is well! (of course I did have to reactiveate it via the website. NO PROBLEMS just wish my voice dial worked!
    Ymeagle

Treo 700p Sprint Favorite apps in order: phone, navigator (tomtomGPS) , NV Backup, Docstogo, Versa, keycaps, minitones, PdaNet, Butler, palmPDF, volcare, AOL im, DA, BOLD MEANS FREE
    Had to use tomtom all weekend on trip to cubs cards game. The number one problem I had with it is that the screen shuts off after the pre-determined amount of time when its not being used (3 minutes on my setting). On my 650, I would stay on as long as I wanted it to. This is more of a problem than when it sounds like because tomtom would sometimes lock after I turned the screen back on. It didn't always lock up, but 1 out of 4 times (approx) it would. Also it reset my phone a couple of times and when it did reset, it sometimes would have to be reset manually because the palm symbol would just stay there on the screen for over a minute. I would hit the reset button, and then it was fine. (Don't understand it myself) NO OTHER APPS ON THE PHONE. Phone was TOTALLY clean of all extra software. Using GlobSats new receiver.
    Last edited by groomer; 06/04/2006 at 09:57 PM.
    Thanks, DougKoz.
    BTW what version are you using? The TT I mean.
    If I go into "Show Version" it says 5.201 (5344).

I had purchased TT5 then upgraded the version from the web site (which says it was necessary to upgrade for Treo compatability).
    I drove all the way from Modesto to San Francisco yesterday using my TomTom 5 navigator on my 700p and did not experienced a single problem. The only issue is that 5way navigation doesn't work.

Al
    Wow, definitely hit or miss.

groomer - I wonder if it's a software issue. You might want to perform the TTN5 update if you haven't already. I've never heard of the screen going out when TT's running. Heck, I've even had TT drain my entire battery because of that.

Treolo - The only function that I got out of the 5-way nav within TT, is the zoom-in/out capability. It seems that I've lost the ability to control volume via the 5-way, which was available on my Tungsten T3.
    Quote Originally Posted by groomer
    Had to use tomtom all weekend on trip to cubs cards game. The number one problem I had with it is that the screen shuts off after the pre-determined amount of time when its not being used (3 minutes on my setting). On my 650, I would stay on as long as I wanted it to. This is more of a problem than when it sounds like because tomtom would sometimes lock after I turned the screen back on. It didn't always lock up, but 1 out of 4 times (approx) it would. Also it reset my phone a couple of times and when it did reset, it sometimes would have to be reset manually because the palm symbol would just stay there on the screen for over a minute. I would hit the reset button, and then it was fine. (Don't understand it myself) NO OTHER APPS ON THE PHONE. Phone was TOTALLY clean of all extra software. Using GlobSats new receiver.
    Exactly what I have been talking about. God! its nice to know that it was not just me going insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I drove all the way from Modesto to San Francisco yesterday using my TomTom 5 navigator on my 700p and did not experienced a single problem. The only issue is that 5way navigation doesn't work.

Al
    Just curious, what BT GPS receiver are you using?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast