Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Update - July 17, 2009
    Fixed per changes in weather feed. Nothing major changed except the 7 Day forecast is now 5 Day forecast. Everything else is working normally.

Update - August 12, 2007
    • Location Favorites: Save your favorite locations for easy switching.

(Full Version History Below)

Hi all,

Welcome to HourlyXCast! As you may know, I like my forecasts Hourly and with HourlyXCast I now have the ability to know with a single glance the hour I should be expecting it to rain, providing for a very different kind of forecast.

http://tinyurl.com/p2tpz

Features:
    1. Save your favorite locations and their corresponding maps!
    2. Search for locations! You don't need to get a code from weather.com nor do you have to hunt for a local zip code. Just search! (available under Preferences)
    3. Radar images from accuweather that download in the background very quickly. You'll see the M appear once the map is finished downloading. You must select your region in the Preferences, or else you'll always see the default NY area.
    4. Severe Weather Alerts: A ticker at the top of the screen only when there's a severe weather alert in the area.

This application is not for weather geeks, it's for those of us who want to know the basics, and need to know it quickly. Right on the frontpage, you get:

• Current Conditions
    • Hour where precipitation is first expected (No more scrolling down to find it)
    • Icon for the next 6 days along with hi/lo information

You'll notice the buttons for Hourly and Hx. 'Hourly' (below, left) gives you hourly forecast information, hour by hour. The program downloads 24 hours worth instead of the old 12. I like the 'Hx' view (below, right) alot...Sometimes, the weather doesn't change for hours at a time, so this joins all the hours with similar weather and gives you a compressed view of the next 24 hours.

http://tinyurl.com/r8qas

Finally, if you need a little more information about the next 7 days, you can hit the 7D button and it will give you a short description of that day's weather.

http://tinyurl.com/2ul25w

Installing Java
    Don't have Java? Follow these steps:
    1. Download this file and extract it to some folder on your PC
    2. Locate and Hotsync the files J9JavaVMMidp20.prc and JavaVMCheck_enUS.prc that are found in the JVM\ARM4T folder
    3. Hotsync the j9secpol.prc file attached to this post (this prevents a silly airtime warning from popping up). This must be done AFTER the installation/hotsyncing of the two previous files in order to work, not at the same time!
    4. That's it!

HourlyXCast Setup
    Hit the 'Prefs' button to update the zip & state for the map, and that's it! The default zip is 11358, so change after the first run.

Notes
    The program is small, (less than 100k), but does require java. This iteration does not cache data, but it downloads the data so quickly and easily (no prompts), you may not even mind. Don't forget to install the j9secpol.prc (if you've already installed it, you don't need to) for uninterrupted data access.

And that's it. Thanks for stopping by and checking it out. If you like it, do say so.

https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but04.gif
    PS: And if you really like it, a 99 cent contribution to the g-funkster HourlyXCast fund is very much appreciated

Enjoy,
    -G

Version History
    Update - August 12, 2007
    • Location Favorites: Save your favorite locations for easy switching.

Update - May 20, 2007 (Version 1.21)
    • Minor fix for 755p & 680 radar selection issue
    • Additional error checking for unsupported locations

Update - May 06, 2007 (Version 1.2)
    • Allows you to reset preferences after checking invalid location
    • Added Retry button on error when acquiring weather data
    • Removed the alternating of HiLo/Feels like and combined the two (for power reasons)
    • Alabama, you've been mapped!
    • Search added to preferences for searching new locations by name ("New York" for example)

Update - August 10, 2006: Added Radar Images and Weather Alerts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by g-funkster; 07/17/2009 at 05:23 PM.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Hey there g-funkmaster; can java apps beinstalled from me treo o.t.a.?
    Weren't you working on your pilots license awhile back? how'd that go?
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by leardvr
    Hey there g-funkmaster; can java apps beinstalled from me treo o.t.a.?
    Weren't you working on your pilots license awhile back? how'd that go?
    If you have java installed on your treo, you can install this over the air just like any other java application.

If you don't have java, download this zip file here, then extract it. Install the files J9JavaVMMidp20.prc and JavaVMCheck_enUS.prc under the JVM\ARM4T folder. That's it! Then (afterwards) optionally install the j9secpol.prc file attached in the original message so you don't get a permission prompt to use the internet.

lol, the pilot thing was probably the g-funkmaster with the cute avatar, i'm regular ol' g-funkster
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I just installed this on a Treo 700p. On first launch it crashed with a verbose java error. I launched again, and now it seems to be working... cool little app, thanks for sharing it!
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Thanks for sharing and making it so easy to install.
    This is probably a stupid question but where does it get the weather info from? Does it download it from accuweather?
  7.    #7  
    actually it gets the weather from weather.com, just like hourly4cast.
    Last edited by g-funkster; 08/10/2006 at 08:28 PM.
  8.    #8  
    New update! Check the first post, you'll find a few new changes such as radar images & severe weather alerts. Neat stuff!

-g
    another reason to have Java around thx I'll be sure to test it out this weekend.

just a side question to the author/developer. since it's a java applications can't this run on desktop (PC) also?
    Last edited by justdoit2; 08/10/2006 at 09:06 PM.
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
    Quick bug report: Selecting Illinois as the locale returns an Idaho map. (selecting Idaho brings up Idaho, and selecting Indiana brings up Indiana). Otherwise, very useful little app! Thanks G-funkster!
    Can the JAVA files be moved to the card?
    Laissez Faire
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad
    Quick bug report: Selecting Illinois as the locale returns an Idaho map. (selecting Idaho brings up Idaho, and selecting Indiana brings up Indiana). Otherwise, very useful little app! Thanks G-funkster!
    Good Catch! I ran a script that gathered the image urls, and it looks like the rest of the states are fine but there was indeed an issue with illinois. It's been fixed, get the updated PRC in the first post.
    Last edited by g-funkster; 08/11/2006 at 09:00 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin
    Can the JAVA files be moved to the card?
    It is definately possible to do this, I don't do it myself but here are two threads that discusss it:

Moving/running Java files from SD Card - Successful!

Java DOES work from the SD card, with KMaps at least!
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    It is definately possible to do this, I don't do it myself but here are two threads that discusss it:

Moving/running Java files from SD Card - Successful!

Java DOES work from the SD card, with KMaps at least!

Thanks. Doesn't look like it is worth the effort to me. I will leave it on the Treo. Great app.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Great app and donation worthy. Paypal on its way.

g-funkster: Have you considered writing an app on traffic? I know Palm has the "Traffic" app which may be competing but if you can come up with one similar to HourlyXCast's platform, I'm sure you'll have a lot of donations!
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Great app and donation worthy. Paypal on its way.

g-funkster: Have you considered writing an app on traffic? I know Palm has the "Traffic" app which may be competing but if you can come up with one similar to HourlyXCast's platform, I'm sure you'll have a lot of donations!
    thank you!!

As a (for now?) hobby developer, I try to focus on applications that I need & use for features that I can't find anywhere else, so I can monitor them and grow with them depending on what I could see as improvements (the addition of calendar to TV2Nite, radar/alerts for hourlyxcast). As a NYC subway rider, I could never apply myself in the same way to a traffic application.

but thanks for the suggestion
    g - nice app! PayPal on the way!
    what about ondemand the free app. doesn't do the same thing?
    Hmm trying to figure out if something is messed up on my treo now..
    just upgraded to the version with graphics except that i don't get the M at anytime...has something changed or is just my treo acting screwy again?
    This is better than Ondemand since it can broadcast hourly weather report. Just the other week, my friend and I were trying to decide if we were going out in the evening. It was raining and he checked yahoo and it said shower in the evening but did not say when it would clear. Checked hourly4cast which is the older version of this app and was able to find out that rain was clear at 9pm. We were able to proceed with our outting.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast