1.    #1  
    I look at the multitude of people on the 700P board in envy wondering if I should buy the damn thing with the minor upgrades. Anyone else have 700P envy?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    I just got mine and I am thinking of switching back to my 650. There are a number of nettlesome issues, some big (Verichat doesn't work; PTunes skips), some small and probably soon fixed (Chatter notifications are weird). All in all, it does NOT seem to be much of an upgrade. Granted, my house isn't in an EVDO area, so in fairness I can't judge that. But I was able to deal with the data speeds on the 650. Faster would be nice, but stuff that works right is far more important to me. Ack.
    I have the same thoughts as you do Mike. When I moved from the Treo 600 to the 650, I was wowed by the new phone. I am not as wowed by the move up to the 700p. I am having the same issues with Chatter, VeriChat, Butler, etc. Bluetooth is just as buggy on the 700p as it was on the 650, but at least the 650 didnt keep dropping pairing with my headet. I know there are some issues that Palm will have to address with a firmware update. My data access speed does not appear to be any faster then what I was getting on my 650.

Overall, I am just not wowed. I look at my 650 sitting in its case, and want to ESN swap, going back to a device I know for certain works the way I want it to. I need to make my decision this weekend, dont want to drag it out too long.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    I can't justify having more internal memory, edvo, and a better camera to buy one yet. Maybe in a few more years, all the bugs will be worked out of the 700's. My 650 w/sd card works well enough for me for now! But then again...You Make The Call!
    Right with you CGordonn... Longing for my 650! It may be back in action by the end of tomorrow.
    I went to the 700p for a couple days and then returned it and am back with my 650 I will wait to buy a 700p when I can get one off of ebay for about 300 dollars......or the insurance upgrades me.....whichever comes first. I just don't think it is worth the money, coming from a 650. If you are coming from a 600 well then it is definately worth it. The things that I didn't like were: 1. The battery life wasn't as good as the 650. 2: Alot of software is not yet compatible 3: The button layout was really freaking me out. 4: I didn't want to buy new cases for my phone 5: I have spent alot of time with my 650 and am really attached to it. I just don't think I could get rid of it, It would be like your first child moving out when they grow up. It would just be to hard. Don't get me wrong the 700p is a great device and will only continue to get better. But I just can't justify the upgrade right now. I would rather spend the money on other stuff. Thanks for reading.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I look at the multitude of people on the 700P board in envy wondering if I should buy the damn thing with the minor upgrades. Anyone else have 700P envy?
    Um...consensus so far? no.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Having had spent lots of time with various Palm/Handspring devices the big deal for me was always internet access.

I used to hook my old 2mb Visor to my Samsung flip phone and surf the internet with a very early version of Blazer. The top speed at the time was 14.4kbps.

Once the treo 300 came out i was so happy because I no longer needed to carry around my phone, pda, cable, and foldaway keyboard. The OS was still 3.5 (same as my 8mb visor platinum) and the treo300 really didn't do anything I already couldn't do with the aforementioned setup (OK there was a color screen). But the big deal was Vision or 1xRtt. At the time it was much faster then anything else I had used on my pda. I used Vision so much more because it easier and faster to use then my old setup.

A year later when the 600 came out I was so happy. New form factor, newer OS, faster processor, improved screen brightness, camera, 5-way, easily a worthwhile upgrade. However, the internet speed was the same, and without webclipping (something the treo300 could do) I found accessing certain information was actually slower.

When the 650 came out I was kind of disappointed that for me the only real benefit was the improved screen, BT, and one of the best camera's on any phone. The internet speed was the same and I was so disappointed it didnít have EVDO, however, after using it for a while I realized that the screen really did make a big deal, especially combined with the improved camera. But I found myself using the internet less and less because now many places had wifi and it was simply faster to startup a laptop and find the info I need.

Now that I have a 700 (and live in EVDO area) I find myself using the internet much more. Speeds are much faster and as a result, I find myself using my phone to Google things once again, and even surfing from my phone for pleasure. Something I almost never did before cause the internet would be slow.

If you donít live in an EVDO area, I wouldnít rush out and get this phone. Hold off till you get EVDO or the phones price comes down and the first service patch is released.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    Now that I have a 700 (and live in EVDO area) I find myself using the internet much more. Speeds are much faster and as a result, I find myself using my phone to Google things once again, and even surfing from my phone for pleasure. Something I almost never did before cause the internet would be slow.

If you donít live in an EVDO area, I wouldnít rush out and get this phone. Hold off till you get EVDO or the phones price comes down and the first service patch is released.
    I tend to agree with this but as far as the internet experience on the 650, its not bad for looking up info if you use various pages set for mobile surfing or DA.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

10.    #10  
    Sounds like there are more than a few that aren't crazy for the 700P. This makes me feel a bit better.
    Last edited by geatches; 06/03/2006 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
    Right with you CGordonn... Longing for my 650! It may be back in action by the end of tomorrow.
    Well, the deed is done. Just ESN swapped back to my trusted 650. I am even re-flashing its firmware and doing a complete rebuild of all my apps. Once that is done, I will call Palm for an RMA number and send the 700p back to them on Monday. Maybe later this year when Palm has made a worthwhile update to the Treo, instead of this incremental update with the 700p, I'll replace my 650. Until then, it does what I need it to do and does it well.

I am happy again.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    My palm is 1 year old, used 1st as phone (verizon), wanted to have all outlook contact data sync, be able to get email remotely, and surf the web for info. Don't surf web as much as i thought, use DA mostly to look stuff up. Purchased volume care, resco for backup, use mp3s natively with real player that came with it. So not using lots of apps, though I boat and I do have some neat freeware/shareware for tidal info.

Can't see spending that type of money, my big question is going to be (and don't shoot me, I know this is a Treo forum), for what I am doing, isn't the new Q for 199 a real contender for me, and I am sure within a year we will see it for less, probably 99, do all that with EVDO.

I want to see the Treo down in these low prices before I think of a minor upgrade. Basically getting EVDO and new phone is what the 700p is over the 650.

But I believe most people reading this forum are on the bleeding edge, and are early adopters, which is great, since they shake it out, and provide excellent feedback.
    I have both of them and the 700p is going back. It does most things WORSE than the 650 and only a few things better. Not only is the 700p not a huge upgrade from the 650 but it's actually a downgrade when you consider all of its faults.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    It seems the more I read about the varying opinions of the 700p, I become less willing to upgrade to a 700p, and just sticking with my reliable and stable 650. Hmmm, I think I'm more than likely pass on the 700p and keep enjoying using my 650. Plus, I have a great Sprint plan that for now I'm better off not messing up.

-----------------------------
    Merlin S620 EVDO
    Treo 650 Sprint 1.13A
    Sony Ericsson HBH-DS970 with SAG coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    I have both of them and the 700p is going back. It does most things WORSE than the 650 and only a few things better. Not only is the 700p not a huge upgrade from the 650 but it's actually a downgrade when you consider all of its faults.
    Interesting. You were not happy with either the 6700 or the 700P. Had you tried the 700W?
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Sounds like there are more than a few that aren't crazy for the 700P. This makes me feel a bit better.
    I think you, dstrauss and I all wondered if this upgrade was worth it long before release. Guess we may have been right on the money.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I have not had my 650 for all that long but I do know I love it, I cant see any real advantadge to the 700, not when you can get a wifi adapter for the 650 for well under $200.00, the problem with the Q (beautiful phone) is as I understand it you cannot edit things like Excel and I use several Excel documents on my 650.
    Terry
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I think you, dstrauss and I all wondered if this upgrade was worth it long before release. Guess we may have been right on the money.
    Great minds think alike. You should be very worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Interesting. You were not happy with either the 6700 or the 700P. Had you tried the 700W?
    Nope. I'm on Sprint.