Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021 LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 412
  1. #361  
    I think this thread should stay around to haunt PDAapps until THEY release a properly supported version..
  2. #362  
    I quite agree... locking threads is weak. Discussions will die a natrual death without help from closet doms... I would also point out that a hack isn't a fix, and it seems that those not using the 700 or running other combinations of apps haven't found relief with this.

    As for PDAApps, I think their goose is cooked... no sense expecting them to support this product any more.
  3.    #363  
    Locking thread is not weak. It is a normal function of forums for topics that have run their course.

    The fix is there. It works. No one is having issues is they have properly implemented the fix.

    I started the thread, and just think it's time to end this particular thread.

    The mods can do as the please.

    Mods, any comment?
  4. #364  
    i say leave the thread open
  5. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #365  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    The fix is there. It works. No one is having issues is they have properly implemented the fix.

    I started the thread, and just think it's time to end this particular thread.
    Mikec,

    1) As I have posted.....twice, I "properly implemented" the hack....twice. I followed all the instructions for warm resetting, getting rid of ALL Verichat files, etc. It does not work FOR ME as it should in data mode. But I'm glad it works for you.

    2) You don't own the thread. Treocentral owns the thread. Just because you started it doesn't mean it's your thread. You can ask the mods to close it, but others can ask to keep it open. Their position is just as important as yours....
  6.    #366  
    dcpmark,

    1.) The hacked version works. I've done it to over a dozen 700P and it works. If you can't get it working, there is something either wrong with your method or your Treo.

    2.) Please don't cop an attitude and try to goad me. I never said my opinion way worth more than anyone else. I just commented that I brought the topic up, and now there's a fix, and the thread ran it's course.

    And I said the mods could decide.

    Clear enough?
  7. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #367  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    dcpmark,

    1.) The hacked version works. I've done it to over a dozen 700P and it works. If you can't get it working, there is something either wrong with your method or your Treo.
    Mikec,

    Why are those the only two choices? How about these possibilities:

    1) Have you got the hack to work successfully in Data mode on a Verizon unit? I'm guessing the answer is no, and there MAY be a difference between the way Verizon and Sprint implements their EVDO network;

    2) Are you running Chatter or some other program that keeps the EVDO connection artificially open on those dozen Sprint units? Maybe that's another possibility, since I'm not running Chatter.

    There are just two other choices that I can think of off the top of my head. But you assume that because you have successfully gotten it to work on your Sprint units, there must be a problem with me or my unit.

    I must admit that I have a problem with how matter-of-fact some people are on this board....as if their word is fact, and there can be no other way. I had trouble with 2000 Man spouting his phony "50% slower" benchmark crap in every thread, and I don't like the way you seem to think the problem is fixed because you have had no trouble with your Sprint units. I'm GLAD you've gotten to work for you......seriously. I'm very jealous, having recently paid for a VeriChat renewal. But I'm not exactly a rookie when it comes to Palm devices, and Causerie does NOT terminate the EVDO connection, so I believe that VeriChat's implementation is faulty.....for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    2.) Please don't cop an attitude and try to goad me. I never said my opinion way worth more than anyone else. I just commented that I brought the topic up, and now there's a fix, and the thread ran it's course.

    And I said the mods could decide.

    Clear enough?
    I'm not trying to goad you into anything, and I thought it was you who copped an attitude because you, as you stated when someone disagreed with your opinion, "started the thread." If you didn't think that entitled you to some special right, why bring it up? What difference would that make? I perceived that that was what you meant when you said that, but I also understand if you say that was not your intent.
  8.    #368  
    dcp...

    I am running about 80% Sprint 700P's and 20% Verizon. They are working the same (meaning perfectly).

    Also, Chatter is not running any of the devices.

    As I've said, I leave it to the mods.
  9. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #369  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    dcp...

    I am running about 80% Sprint 700P's and 20% Verizon. They are working the same (meaning perfectly).

    Also, Chatter is not running any of the devices.

    As I've said, I leave it to the mods.
    Done.

    Are any of the Verizon units using Data mode? The reason I ask is that I got the impression from your previous posts in this thread that all your testing was done in SMS mode:

    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...&page=16&pp=20
  10. #370  
    dcpmark, i can CONFIRM the hack works. -works well, as well.

    i think there is a misconfiguration on your end...

    --why dont you try a hard reset (backup your data first) and run it from scratch?

    just a heads up..
  11. #371  
    ^^^^

    I am using Sprint if that matters or not.
  12. #372  
    Well, the issue here is pretty simple. The original poster hacked to solve the problem they were experiencing because PDAApps is MIA, and then decided to make that hack public. That's great, but it doesn't imply that it will or that they care to make it work in everyone's configuration. That lovely blight still falls onto PDAApps. So, as far as the hack is concerned it's pretty much done. If it doesn't work for you, then your issue is with PDAApps... as it always was. Whether the original poster wishes to extend themselves to look at other alternatives is up to them, naturally, but since it was only expressly done to serve their needs I certainly wouldn't expect them to do this just because others have further problems with it.

    Bottom line is that if the vendor isn't supporting the product or pushing the source out as alternative, then it's dead. The hack will only breathe so much life into it -- enough to support the 700p in this case -- but a dead product is a dead product. Sad, I must admit... but nonetheless true.
  13.    #373  
    dcp,

    I tested all modes on the hacked version and they worked fine. (even though I use SMS mode most of the time.)
  14. #374  
    I use verizon/Data mode, and it works well for me. I have seen Verichat Reconnecting data, but never disconnecting it first. There are certain places at home where I have very poor signal, and if I leave my phone there I notice Vchat reconnecting a lot, but I highly doubt it is doing anything to kill the data connection -- just forcing a reconnect when the phone might normally "coast offline" untill it gets back on a stronger signal.

    I'm not a CDMA engineer, but I understand that data/voice connection handoff beween towers will only happen if that connection is active. If you are in EVDO "standby" mode and are in a zone where you hop between APs a lot it may transparently try to handoff the standby connection and possibly give you a new IP (anyone know the specifica on this?), but since Verichat is contantly trying to connect that gets disrupted and a manual connection attempt is forced. That's just a theory.
  15. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #375  
    Interesting.....when you say you've seen VeriChat reconnecting data, do you mean the VeriChat dialog box saying it's reconnecting to AIM, or are you seeing the network dialog box saying it's connecting to the network? As far as I know, there is no warning that the network is disconnected....you would only know it was disconnected by its attempt to reconnect to the network. In my case, when I had the the hack installed in data mode, I noticed not only that several times a day I would get the dialog box saying that VeriChat was trying to re-connect to AIM when I awoke the screen, but that the network was also attempting to reconnect. I have Snappermail set to get my mail every 30 minutes during the weekday, and I noticed that it too had to reconnect to the network before it would get mail multiple times a day. Same with using Blazer. These things don't happen when VeriChat is not installed, and they do not happen with Causerie. I can only conclude that VeriChat is somehow causing the network to disconnect. I've tried it twice using the instructions exactly, and I'm going to try it one more time....if that doesn't work, I'll try a hard reset.
    Last edited by dcpmark; 07/04/2006 at 07:34 PM.
  16. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #376  
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase
    After 11 months, I'll chime in on why I no longer have any faith in the developers of Verichat: IT'S BROKEN AS AN IM SERVICE FOR YOUR PHONE, and not just on the 700p, but any Sprint Treo (and probably Verizon Treo as well, but I'm speculating).
    ......

    So I then set up a script on my PC, so that everytime my primary AIM identity would drop off, my PC would send me a SMS that said "Verichat not working". Over the next week of using Verichat, I learned that about 80% of the time, my AIM identity would log off within minutes or a few hours of not actively using Verichat.
    .......

    So for everyone out there, buyer beware, and try what I did: create another IM identity, login via your PC, and monitor your primary IM identity to see if your "online" via Verichat. Run it for a few days, and see what happens. Perhaps you'll have better luck than me, but I doubt it.
    Okay. I've now done even more testing on my Verizon unit, and it's still not working for me. I did a third install of the hack after removing all traces of VeriChat (and Causerie, just in case) using ZLauncher's File Manager following a warm reset. I then set up AIM only...it's the only one I use. Always-on data connection mode.

    I then set up test screen names, and set up one of my computers to log AIM disconnects and reconnects. I then signed on using VeriChat, and tested sending the IMs back and forth. Worked perfectly as always. Leaving the chat open, I then switched to the Phone App, putting VeriChat in "background" mode. I then put the screen to sleep. I then watched the 700p. And watched. I noticed that every once in a while the screen would come on by itself, and I would get a VeriChat dialog box saying that it is connecting to AIM, followed by Network dialog boxes saying that is connecting to Broadband Access, signing on, establishing the network, etc.

    Then I checked the computer log, and sure enough, I was being logged off AIM approximately every 5 minutes. VeriChat would automatically reconnect, but obviously it is NOT supposed to work this way. It is the the very same thing that happened to Headcase, so clearly it's not a Verizon issue (he had Sprint), nor is it related to just the 700p (he was using a 650 at the time). This mystery just gets deeper and deeper. Here is the pic of my log results:
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17.    #377  
    dcpmark,

    Time for a hard reset.
  18. #378  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    dcpmark,

    Time for a hard reset.
    Should've done that a long time ago or as soon as he thought he was done testing everything.
  19. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    #379  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Should've done that a long time ago or as soon as he thought he was done testing everything.
    Not quite done logging my results yet.....but a hard reset may be my next step. As it turns out, VeriChat not been logging me out of AIM every five minutes: it has been sending 'away' notices every 5 minutes and 2 seconds. It will then send a 'back' notice a short time later. It only logged me out of AIM twice by itself in the last 12 hours. However, it is still disconnecting my network. I'm starting to think it's a 3rd party software conflict....more testing to come.

    Amtatar,

    Since you are on Verizon and using the data mode, would it be possible to set up a log to see what VeriChat is doing for you, if anything?
  20. #380  
    Quote Originally Posted by causerie
    Taroliw: Not everyone would like debug versions (unknown crashes) and we would not want to release it without any bugs and full testing. We take testing seriously and it usually takes 2-3 weeks for a build to come out.

    A new site (would be deployed in 2 weeks) would give a link to download development version as an option.

    I'd love to buy Causerie, but I need the ability to upload pics during my IM sessions. Does or will Causerie be supporting this functionality?

Posting Permissions