Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been using a Treo 600 and have just ordered a 700p that is being shipped. In eager anticipation, I downloaded the 700p User's Guide and have been reading it to learn the new (for me) features.

On the 600, I am using Calendar v.5.2H. In "Day" view, if I select "New", I am given options of Appointment, Floating Event, To Do, Daily Journal, and Template. I have found the floating events to be a handy way to manage what would normally be items on a to-do list: if I don't get the task done on the day I set for it, then it just keeps shifting to the next day. If I complete it and check it off, it stays recorded on that day.

These floating events don't appear to be an option on the 700p calendar, if I am reading the guide correctly. Is that correct? Were they available on the 650? Were they considered redundant to the To Do application? Did any one other than me find them useful? Any idea what will happen to my old, completed floating events after I migrate to the 700p? (On the desktop, each is just shown as an appointment with an attached, 3-character memo that indicates their status -- i.e., the date doesn't automatically update on the desktop -- so I'm guessing that's what I will wind up with.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J
    On the 600, I am using Calendar v.5.2H. In "Day" view, if I select "New", I am given options of Appointment, Floating Event, To Do, Daily Journal, and Template. I have found the floating events to be a handy way to manage what would normally be items on a to-do list: if I don't get the task done on the day I set for it, then it just keeps shifting to the next day. If I complete it and check it off, it stays recorded on that day.

These floating events don't appear to be an option on the 700p calendar, if I am reading the guide correctly. Is that correct? Were they available on the 650? Were they considered redundant to the To Do application? Did any one other than me find them useful? Any idea what will happen to my old, completed floating events after I migrate to the 700p? (On the desktop, each is just shown as an appointment with an attached, 3-character memo that indicates their status -- i.e., the date doesn't automatically update on the desktop -- so I'm guessing that's what I will wind up with.)
    My understanding is that this stuff was licensed from the company that makes DateBk. These options do not appear in the Calendar app that ships with the 700p. You can't see ToDo items or floating items in the Calendar, and you can't set things like the default appointment duration.

I guess we can buy DateBk5 or something like that, but I've tried DateBk5 and the interface seems very cluttered and complicated. I miss the features and simplicity of the 600's Datebook. It's unfortunate Palm made this change.

/jgt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J
    I have been using a Treo 600 and have just ordered a 700p that is being shipped. In eager anticipation, I downloaded the 700p User's Guide and have been reading it to learn the new (for me) features.

floating events have not been an option since palm updated the 600 to 650. I found them very useful. The datebk 5 is a bit much for some people, but you can get a scaled down version called datebk 4 from pimlico software that has weekly view and floating events, but is simpler. Trouble is, I am not sure that it is compatible with 700p. You may want to do a trial and let others know.
    I also upgraded from the 600. I will miss 'Template' for sure. Does Datebk have this feature?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Bumping this topic. I just upgraded from a 600 to a 700p and am really missing my floating events and tasks in the cal view. Is DateBk the only way to get this back? What are people out there doing?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Just this week (or last, I can't remember) Rob from hobbyist software released a beta app that adds back the "floating events."

Rob is the guy that makes Butler, Phone Technician, Initiate and other Treo software. I haven't personally used the float app, but I use most of his other apps and couldn't live without them.

You can check out the beta by going to http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/downloads.php. You've got to scroll to the bottom to find this beta app.
    cool. I'll have to try that out.
    Can you let me know if the beta works well?

(Would like to hear some feedback before installing the beta)..

Thanks!
    I have the same issue. Why would they take such a cool feature away? It was the first thing I noticed about the 700 when Sprint upgraded me...it almost made me not want the free upgrade.

I may try thr beta...I love this phone otherwise.
    Has anyone tried Datebook 6 on a Verizon Treo 700P? If so, any problems, bugs etc? I looked at their on line info and bug fixes.
    Yeah, not having Float Events kinda sucks. I got around it by creating a new Task category called zzFloat Eventzz and then I'll put whatever task in there and set it to be a due date for whatever day the event takes place. Then I set the calendar to show tasks that are due that day and they show up in the calendar.

Not the greatest, but it works.
    I'm sure datebook6 is great, but I din't want to pay for something that: worked just fine, was free, that my "older lesser" Treo used to have.
    Ah yes, one of the many disappointing "upgrades" we lamented over when the 650 was first released. I use tasks instead of calendar items for floating events. Datebk was overkill, but I'll certainly try out the beta.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    One thing at least that helps is set display to be Agenda. At least top to do task or two is shown on the daily schedule.
    I wish I knew enough to know what the inventor means when he says "probably buggy" next to the beta download. I'm not computer savvy enough to know if thats a risk of major problems or just an annoyance. My setup is stable now and I dont want to screw it up.

...has anyone tried the beta?
  16.    #16  
    Well, I started this thread six months ago before I even got my 700p, so I guess I should reply. I had the same reservations about a "probably buggy" beta, but I downloaded it and did the installation today.

So far, I have not encountered any bugs, but I do have a couple of preliminary comments. After installation, you must run the "Float" application and enable floating events before you see any change to the calendar application. Rather than allowing you to specify that a personal, business, etc. event is a floating event, this beta creates a new category named Floating Event. You then designate which of your categories (apparently only one) can float. It appears that the default of having the Floating Event category be the one one that floats makes the most sense. This just means that you can't also desginate this event as being in one of your other categories. For example, I like to have a floating event to remind me to clean the hot tub, and if I don't get around to doing it, that event should keep on my schedule every day until I get it done. I also like to list that event in the "House" category, which I apparently cannot do in this beta unless I let all "House" events float. Not a real problem, but it is different from the way floating events worked with the Treo 600 calendar.

Within the Float application, there is a button to click to "update floating events to today." That seems to work, but until tomorrow I cannot verify that the automatic updating of floating at midnight actually occurs. If I encounter any of the "probable" bugs, I will post it here.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Thanks. What you say is all I need for my use. I can get around the other.

So the event stays on the same page with appointments, like the 600 used to, right?

If you still like it tomorrow I may try it also. Its a small thing, but would go a long way to making the 700 what I want.
  18.    #18  
    You understand that since this is the first day that I have had the beta installed, I really haven't checked it out fully....

Yes, the floating event is on the calendar page with other appointments. It can be timed or untimed, and you create the event just like any other -- you just choose "Floating Event" as the category. You can rename that category and assign it an identifying color, or you can use any of your other categories, but only one category can be set to float. I can't yet see any reason to have any of the other standard or personalized categories set as the floating category, since all past events in that category would presumably be moved to tomorrow come midnight tonight -- not a pleasant prospect for most calendars -- and I would hope you have a backup.

The floating event shows up in each of the calendar views and on the desktop application just as any other event. I think the only thing different about these events is that if you don't move them to another category (which marks them as "complete") by midnight (approximately) of the scheduled day, they move to the next day. As I noted before, the Float app has a button that updates floating events, but I don't know any reason to use that other than just testing that it works, which I did. You must run the Float app once to enable floating events, then I don't know of any reason to launch it again unless you want to disable floating. If you do that, I assume that the events remain where they are and that the same thing would happen if you deleted the Float app. I haven't bothered to check either of those assumptions, and I don't know whether deleting the app would also delete the Floating Event category.

Unlike the Treo 600 calendar, there is no check box to mark the floating event as complete. Instead, I think the only way to stop it from floating is to move it to another category.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    OK, I just tried it and it went wierd immediately. It took deleted events from the past and addedc them in, and made single letters a catagory (ie a capital "L" as an event). I chickened out and uninstalled it...even that took 2 tries.

Good luck.

I'm almost tempted to spring for datebook.
  20.    #20  
    Sorry to hear about such a disaster -- not at all what I have experienced.

I don't have any idea where to begin to guess what caused such a problem. If there is anyone else who is inclined to guess, I should point out that when deleting events I never save an archive copy, so I assume that deleted events are gone completely and forever once I perform a hotsync, unless I restore from a backup. I don't know where jeffandpamsmith's deleted events reappeared from.

The only new info I have to offer is that the sole floating event that I created yesterday did indeed float to today sometime during the night, so this beta seems to be doing for me all that is advertised, with no bugs encountered yet.
    Dr J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast