Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Do any of these applications have a trainable spam/junk filter? You indicate which emails are junk and over time the application recognizes junk email based on the history of things you mark as junk?
    A few things about Chatter on the 700p...

1) You MUST upgrade to 2.0 or later, or it won't work properly.

2) The people who are having serious battery drain issues almost certainly have a configuration issue. Just send me a log with an hours' usage and I'll let you know what I find. Logging instructions are in the FAQ at www.chatteremail.com.

Marc
    Chatter linked to an IMAP account, no doubt. I will never go back to non-push email.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    A few things about Chatter on the 700p...

1) You MUST upgrade to 2.0 or later, or it won't work properly.

2) The people who are having serious battery drain issues almost certainly have a configuration issue. Just send me a log with an hours' usage and I'll let you know what I find. Logging instructions are in the FAQ at www.chatteremail.com.

Marc

This is probably the reason why Chattermail is a great product. Marc is probably the most responsive developer there is and really committed to the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoclassicist
    Do any of these applications have a trainable spam/junk filter? You indicate which emails are junk and over time the application recognizes junk email based on the history of things you mark as junk?
    I can't speak for the others, but Snappermail does not have spam filtering. It's often requested, but I think the consensus is that it's not practical to do that much processing on the device. What most people (myself included) seem to do is forward mail through a filtering service. Many people suggested http://fastmail.fm. I'm quite happy with their service (I have a full account).

/jgt
    Quote Originally Posted by tjma
    I'd recommend Snapper.

Used Versamail for a few days but not as convenient as Snapper - I went back to Snapper as I had the registered version anyway. Versamail was OK, but I found it was:

- slower than Snapper
    - not as nice of an interface
    - big one - no single send / receive button - with Snapper you can push one button to receive all marked accounts.

I don't really mind manually checking e-mail as I just hit the button when I want to read e-mail.
    Same here. I'd rather manually get my email by pressing a send / receive button than having the app. automatically fetch my email at specified intervals. I think manually checking saves battery time as well. I'll have to try Snapper out now.

Oh, does Snapper have the ability to save emails directly to SD card?
    Yes, the Premium and Enterprise editions can save e-mails directly to the card.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    I HIGHLY recommend chatteremail. First app I put on my 700. Superb email client and the tech support is phenomenal. He even answered me last year when he was on vacation!! Best developer out there,
    will chatter work with regular yahoo.If not what email app will
    I tried Chatter email, but it doesn't have that dedicated send / receive button that I like in the other email apps..
    I have used SnapperMail for over a year and a half and love it. Tried VersaMail for a couple days and didn't find it as easy to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    I tried Chatter email, but it doesn't have that dedicated send / receive button that I like in the other email apps..
    I use Chatter and as far as I know, Chatter has had this capability for quite some time now. You should try taking a look at preferences --> button/keys --> assign the button you want to "quicksync" etc. The Chatter manual may also be helpful in this situation.
    What features does Chattermail have that SnapperMail doesn't and what are the Chattermail features that you like? I have used SnapperMail for quite a while. I tried VersaMail for 3 or 4 days and decided to go back to SnapperMail. Thanks.
    That's a good question. Before Chatter was around, I purchased Snappermail and found it to be a very good e-mail client. The thing is, after trying out chatter (quite a while ago now) I realized that while snappermail is good, Chatter is just much more tailored towards Treo users (and updated with new features far more frequently). I think that is because Snappermail must work on a number of non-treo devices, while Chatter was originally made only for Treos.

This feature comparison may be worth checking out:
    http://tinyurl.com/c2wu2

My top 3 things I like that Snapper doesn't have:
    1. Asynchronous operation in the background
    2. Real-Time SD Card Storage
    3. Filtered Mailboxes that work in real-time

While I prefer Chatteremail, Snappermail is still a very good e-mail client and there is nothing wrong with preferring one application over another.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    I use Chatter and as far as I know, Chatter has had this capability for quite some time now. You should try taking a look at preferences --> button/keys --> assign the button you want to "quicksync" etc. The Chatter manual may also be helpful in this situation.
    I've been trying out Chatter and I can't find this anywhere. I think you can assign a hard button to do it, but I just want a button on the screen that I can tap to send / receive emails. Also, it seems that Chatter has all these extras you have to install to get it working right. My main email account is with Gmail so I don't have any use for all the IMAP features and don't want to go through the hassle of forwarding to an IMAP account.

I've seen some posts by Chatter's developer on how you can get a free IMAP account and have your emails forwarded to it. How does that work anyway? Can I still use my Gmail address? Or do I have to use an email address that the free IMAP service assigns me? Also, how much storage space do I get with this free IMAP service?

Another big thing I don't like about Chatter is that you can't access the menu without having to use the menu key. I like being able to tap in the top right corner to access the menu.
    I was an old Snappermail user (since the Treo 300) but was quite happy with the built-in email app of the Treo 600. It just plain worked.

When I upgraded to the 650 I gave VersaMail a fair shot but it gave me nothing but grief. I was constantly seeing in the log that it had problems connecting and there were a few UI annoyances compared to Snappermail, so I eventually switched back to Snappermail (and upgraded to the latest version at the time).

During my time with the 650, I also gave Chattermail a shot but I couldn't stand the single-line list view. I *have* to have the two-line view. Single-line sucks. So that was pretty much a deal-killer for me. The promise of push mail was enticing, but I found that having Snappermail auto-fetch every 30 minutes or so and then pushing the email hard button (just to make sure I was "up-to-date") was good enough for me.

With the 700p, I'm trying to give VersaMail a chance again (just so that I can save some storage space), but I suspect that I'll be reloading Snappermail again. I think that Chattermail still lacks a two-line view, so that sucks. And now I'm on a SERO plan so I've got no SMS. I don't do SMS for anything so if I needed it for Chattermail, it would be like I was paying $XX/month just for Chattermail.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    I've been trying out Chatter and I can't find this anywhere. I think you can assign a hard button to do it, but I just want a button on the screen that I can tap to send / receive emails. Also, it seems that Chatter has all these extras you have to install to get it working right. My main email account is with Gmail so I don't have any use for all the IMAP features and don't want to go through the hassle of forwarding to an IMAP account.

I've seen some posts by Chatter's developer on how you can get a free IMAP account and have your emails forwarded to it. How does that work anyway? Can I still use my Gmail address? Or do I have to use an email address that the free IMAP service assigns me? Also, how much storage space do I get with this free IMAP service?

Another big thing I don't like about Chatter is that you can't access the menu without having to use the menu key. I like being able to tap in the top right corner to access the menu.
    That's right, I was referring to assigning the sms/mail button to your mail program (Chatteremail etc). If you don't mind me asking, if you don't have your hard button assigned to your email program, how do you quickly get to it? As I mentioned, since Chatter is really designed with the Treo in mind, that means that it really facilitates you doing things one-handed (hence using buttons or keys instead of tapping on the screen). It's all personal preference of course. I'm not sure what you are referring to as "extras" in order to get chatter working correctly? I haven't installed any extras and it works fine (it is possible that I'm missing something though).

Regarding IMAP, you may want to look into a free fastmail.fm account. If you want to use it in conjunction with gmail, you should check out this thread:
    http://tinyurl.com/fcxhz

In general, you should be able to forward your gmail to fastmail and still use your gmail address for outgoing messages. Having said that, you mention above that you don't want to use IMAP anyway, so I'm not sure where that leaves you. Either way, you should be able to use pop with gmail and chatteremail. Keeping all this in mind, make sure to go with the application that meets your particular needs and that you are most comfortable with.
    Yeah, I have the mail button launch my email program, but I thought you were talking about setting that mail button up so that when it's pressed, it will do a manual send / receive in Chatter. I'd rather have an on screen button for that (yes, my personal preference) and I can easily press it by using the 5-way.

The extras I'm talking about are a file you need to install just for POP3 access, then the SSL thing so I can get Gmail POP3 working, then in the menu is that annoying free offer for an account.

Another thing about having that Push feature is that I see lots of people complaining that it uses up alot of the battery.
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I haven't tried Chatter (push is something I definitely don't want -- checking email every time another message arrives seems like a hell of a time waster to me), but I've been very happy with Snapper.

I tried Versamail briefly on my 700, but gave up when I found that, if you use imap (much better than pop or webmail on the Treo), Versamail can't deal with sub-folder names longer than ~15 characters. For me that means it doesn't see most of the folders that I want to sync on the Treo. I could re-name folders to fit Versamail's constraints, but I'm much happier going back to Snappermail.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I have a question about Snapper Mail. Maybe someone here can help. How do you get Gmail to work with it. I put in the settings that I need to put in but then I try to get email I get an error message. Thanks in advance.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast