Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 154
  1. #21  
    Versamail is ton's better on the 700p than before. What I really want is push, and purchased Chatter for my 650. I think Marc has done an amazing job and should be complimented on his efforts.

    My experience with Chatter on the 700p was disappointing. I D/L'd the latest version (last week), and installed it. My reg code still worked, so that was great.

    However, after installing and configuring Chatter and letting it run overnight, in the morning, my phone was quite warm, which I attributed to the fact that a data call was always in progress. I also began to see hangs on the 700p, even though Chatter was my only aftermarket app. I tried to set Chatter to check my mail only every 30 mins to see if the heat issue subsided, but it did not. That and the impact on battery life made me (sadly) uninstall Chatter. All is back to normal now. I'm hoping that there is something Marc can do to address this, unless my phone is the only one doing it (which could be).

    I'm back to using Versamail, and while not delighted in its polling and limited alerts, the phone is back to being rock stable and running cool.

    Anyone else seeing this behavior?
    Jeff

    Motorola StarTac => Cingular Treo 270 => Sprint Treo 600 => Sprint Treo 650 => Sprint Treo 700p
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcnaught
    Versamail is ton's better on the 700p than before. What I really want is push, and purchased Chatter for my 650. I think Marc has done an amazing job and should be complimented on his efforts.

    My experience with Chatter on the 700p was disappointing. I D/L'd the latest version (last week), and installed it. My reg code still worked, so that was great.

    However, after installing and configuring Chatter and letting it run overnight, in the morning, my phone was quite warm, which I attributed to the fact that a data call was always in progress. I also began to see hangs on the 700p, even though Chatter was my only aftermarket app. I tried to set Chatter to check my mail only every 30 mins to see if the heat issue subsided, but it did not. That and the impact on battery life made me (sadly) uninstall Chatter. All is back to normal now. I'm hoping that there is something Marc can do to address this, unless my phone is the only one doing it (which could be).

    I'm back to using Versamail, and while not delighted in its polling and limited alerts, the phone is back to being rock stable and running cool.

    Anyone else seeing this behavior?
    You should post what you're seeing on the Chatteremail.com forums. Marc had posted that he has not gotten a 700p to fully play with. Hopefully, once he gets one he'll be able to correct things.

    I switched from my 700w to a 700p solely for the stability of Palm OS and Chatter's push capability.
  3. #23  
    I was a long time Snapper user, had no problems with it, but switched a few months ago to Chatter to work with my Fastmail account. Since then, I have found myself swearing at my phone virtually every time I try to use it. I was prepared for the shorter battery life and increased missed-calls-direct-to-voice-mail, but I wasn't prepared for:

    -excessive delay in responding to buttons
    -outrageous delay in contact lookup
    -excessive delay in opening contacts after synch due to "updating contacts" window
    -frequent unexplained automatic soft resets

    I changed nothing else. I do have a lot of mail in my inbox, which I keep on the SD card, and lots of contacts, but I'm eager to understand why everyone else seems to love this app which has made my phone the subject of despair rather than delight for me.
  4. #24  
    Barry, I had a similar experience with Chatter.

    That is why I stick with tried and true Snappermail.
  5. #25  
    Is no one using Business Connect for push email? Its been pretty reliable for several years now.
  6. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #26  
    I have only been using Chatter for a short while, so can't comment on your gripes. I do see it's got some rough edges... I'm thinking with all it's bells and whistles it has the potential to get wiggy from time to time. The connection mechanism is a battery hog and the sheer amount of customizations and preferences (while welcome!) can also be overwhelming.

    Snapper is more "rock solid," I suppose, but it also doesn't yet have some of the features I've really come to expect on a 2006 smartphone - addressing auto-complete, and "true" push email, to name a couple.

    Quote Originally Posted by barryrosenbaum
    excessive delay in opening contacts after synch due to "updating contacts" window
    You know, can turn this off in the prefs:

    Composing -> Rebuild when contacts change
  7. #27  
    I highly recommend, if you have unlimited SMS, that Chatter users, especially those who are frustrated by the constant data connection, to try using SMS as their push mechanism while leaving the mailbox offline.

    I've been very happy with this configuration and it really does away with most of the problems Barry and others are having.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  8. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    I highly recommend, if you have unlimited SMS, that Chatter users, especially those who are frustrated by the constant data connection, to try using SMS as their push mechanism while leaving the mailbox offline.
    That's not a bad idea, and that's what I'd done previously with SnapperMail (along with TreoHelper as the SMS trigger app.)


    Does Chatter also automatically delete the SMS, too? Or does your SMS inbox get filled with all of these trigger messages?
  9. #29  
    Hmmm...I'd like to try the push Y!Mail (referred to on page one of this thread). However, when I go to the Yahoo link and enter my phone number to receive an SMS to download the .prc program, the link is outdated or incorrect. Does anybody know where to find the download? I've scoured the Yahoo website to no avail.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Does Chatter also automatically delete the SMS, too? Or does your SMS inbox get filled with all of these trigger messages?
    yes, it does delete the SMS automatically. In fact, there's no option to not have it delete the message. It doesn't even turn on the screen, it's wonderful!
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  11. #31  
    Whats the best app to use if you don't have an exchange server? I use BB now and use the email that BB gave me to forward emails to. Want to switch and want something close to push email like i am getting without having exchange. Any info? Thanks
  12. #32  
    if I get a 3rd party email program. is there a way to remove versamail? or "hide" it?
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
  13. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    yes, it does delete the SMS automatically. In fact, there's no option to not have it delete the message. It doesn't even turn on the screen, it's wonderful!
    Cool. I'm checking it out now. Thanks for the recco.

    And I'm installing Java on my 700p to check out your Widgets too!
  14. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    if I get a 3rd party email program. is there a way to remove versamail? or "hide" it?
    I use LauncherX and hide the unused apps, as well as the ones I can get to with hard buttons.
  15. #35  
    Chatter hands down

    Fred
  16. ink883's Avatar
    Posts
    872 Posts
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    if I get a 3rd party email program. is there a way to remove versamail? or "hide" it?
    You can also use Obfuscate (freeware) if you don't want to hassle with a 3rd party launcher.

    http://www.pocketscience.com.au/products.asp#Obfuscate
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  17. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #37  
    Here's another tip on how to "hide" apps, using the default launcher:
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    If you use the default Palm launcher, create a new category .... Re-categorize the apps you want to see to this new category, leave the rest in where they are. Set the Palm launcher pref's to "remember last category", then always use your new category. This will in effect hide the apps you dont want cluttering your launcher.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...29&postcount=4
  18. #38  
    I tried Chatter and liked all the features, but it kept freezing my 700p, so I'm sticking with Versamail.
  19. Fofer's Avatar
    Posts
    576 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    yes, it does delete the SMS automatically. In fact, there's no option to not have it delete the message. It doesn't even turn on the screen, it's wonderful!
    Testing this out now, it seems to be working well. Will leave it this way for a few days and see if I like it. I like how this power / functionality and choice is built in to Chatter, whereas you had to cobble stuff together with Snapper or Versa to try and approach the same level of complexity. And even then it really wasn't seamless.

    But, I also think this is why Chatter sometimes gets a bad rap. Marc is constantly developing it and adding tons of new tweaks, features, and prefs all the time. Sure, power users love this... but folks who just want a "basic" email app might be overwhelmed and turned off by it all. The manual doesn't mention some of the newest prefs, some have confusing labels or short descriptions, and overall some of the commands aren't organized elegantly. I'm a tech-head and a power user, and some of the prefs didn't make sense to me, either.

    Once it's tweaked to your liking, Chatter is an awesome app. I'll agree it's the most powerful emailer for the Treo right now. But it seems that with that power comes some responsibility - to learn what it can do, and how to harness it best. Most folks probably aren't even aware of 10% of it's capabilities. They install it, set the basic prefs, and complain that their Treo's battery life suffered... so they end up deleting Chatter. Once you read and learn and understand what the prefs can do, I think it's clear that Chatter is an amazing lil' app, far more powerful than Versa or Snapper.

    But if you just want something simple... a button to press to check your mail... I'd say the new Versa and Snapper are neck and neck. Hopefully Snapper will raise the bar soon (add true push email!) so we have real competition back in play.


    P.S. I realize I'll be using a lot more SMS now. Is it just me, or has Sprint never accurately counted SMS in their billing? I know I've used more than 100 every month, yet my bill always has a very low number (less than 20?) I'm paying $5 for 100, and would pay $15 for unlimited if I had to... but it seems like their system has been giving me a break every month for the last year or so. Anyone else?
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    but it seems like their system has been giving me a break every month for the last year or so. Anyone else?
    Did you happen to have a Treo 600 during 2003? Sprint gave unlimited SMS away to all 600 owners at the time for 'testing' and never took it away. That's how I still have it, and why I haven't changed my plan in over 3 years
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions