Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Love DA but doesn't work fully on the 700p. Is there any alternative with similar functionality? There are some small websites that are decent but much harder to work with and can't load info from your contacts.

When I use it, the issues are:

- no button navigation on many screens, have to use pen
    - will look up a listing, but the call to dial the number doesn't work
    - will accept input for directions but call for web page says something about invalid browser

Thanks,
    I love DA too, I am sorry to hear from you that it does not seem to work on the 700p. genius by hobbyist software is not a replacement for DA but does some similar things.
    The directory functionality within On Demand on the 700p seems to provide decent search capabilities, and it even allows you to copy the contact results into your contact database.

I'm using that until DA is updated.
    headcase, I know dir lookup in OnDemand is free now but will it remain free?
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    headcase, I know dir lookup in OnDemand is free now but will it remain free?
    No it is a trial. I do not remember how long the trial is, but they will want a monthly charge , hopefully DA is fixed by then. I heard the developer is working on it.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Have this speed dialed@ 'D':
    m.yp.com/mindex.php
    I just tried DA on my Sprint 700p.

It works. The Navigation is a bit off -- no 5way -- but I think it was like that on my 650.

It does connect to the server and does get the information, though.

--------

Then I tried On Demand. The "Add to Contacts" option is pretty slick.

They returned the same information for the same lookup, btw.
    The "Sprint Power Vision Network" pamphlet that came with the 700p describes On Demand as "Sprint Power Vision's exclusive On Demand feature" offering news, sports, weather, money, movies, and more. They say that it "also offers optional categories (for an additional monthly charge)." So maybe the main categories will remain free on the 700p?

Handmark (the company that makes the program) says news, sports, and weather will remain free. Otherwise, it's $6.99/month or $69.90/year...ouch! And they consider that a "low price." I pay less than that per month for TiVo service.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjma

- will accept input for directions but call for web page says something about invalid browser

Thanks,
    You're right about everything except for the "invalid browser" message. You need to go to the start up page of DA and press the menu button, go to preferences and change "Browser to use" to "Treo Web". Now everything should work except the navigation, which you can just tap the screen and dial won't work but you can save to contacts and dial from there. At least till there is an update.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    The "Sprint Power Vision Network" pamphlet that came with the 700p describes On Demand as "Sprint Power Vision's exclusive On Demand feature" offering news, sports, weather, money, movies, and more. They say that it "also offers optional categories (for an additional monthly charge)." So maybe the main categories will remain free on the 700p?
    I believe that is the case.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MHR
    I

--------

Then I tried On Demand. The "Add to Contacts" option is pretty slick.

They returned the same information for the same lookup, btw.
    DA has an add to contacts function as well
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Yeah but when you tap to "dial," the current version of DA says "your smartphone is not supported."
    Quote Originally Posted by tjma
    Love DA but doesn't work fully on the 700p. Is there any alternative with similar functionality? There are some small websites that are decent but much harder to work with and can't load info from your contacts.

Thanks,

You can fix the "invalid" browswer problem. Go into preferences and change the browser from "Blazer" to something like "Treo Web" (can't remember exactly).
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Yeah but when you tap to "dial," the current version of DA says "your smartphone is not supported."
    Ahhh, that would cause a problem on the 700P.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    DA has an add to contacts function as well
    It does? Perhaps I'm using an old version. Mine allows me to copy stuff, but it does not just automatically add it to the contacts app like OD does.
    da 3.22 copy feature: "copy to new adress book entry" ... it's there. just 5-way navigation on 700p not working -- I don't know if there are new keycodes or if it's only for developers who don't use the palm "recommended" method for checking for 5-way events, but half of the 3rd-party programs I've tried on the 700p don't support navigation ... the other half do.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    just 5-way navigation on 700p not working -- I don't know if there are new keycodes or if it's only for developers who don't use the palm "recommended" method for checking for 5-way events, but half of the 3rd-party programs I've tried on the 700p don't support navigation ... the other half do.
    Maybe LudusP's SharkNav can "fix" this?
    SharkNav

The "dial this number" still doesn't work on the 700p though, which is a bummer.
    I get incompatible device error with sharknav.
    Jimmie Geddes
    what about infoman
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eldiablo
    what about infoman
    Looks good, and is available for download here, but according to this page:

iNoah, iPedia and InfoMan are no longer available. We'll try to keep them working as long as feasible.
    The app is also apparently subscription based, at $40/year, so I'm not sure I'd want to plunk down the dough if it's discontinued and can stop working at any time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast