Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  

Quote Originally Posted by PdaNet

Ok our email is flooded by users asking for PdaNet on the Treo 700p. We hear you (and thank you for your support!). We are almost there :-)

This is only a pre-mature version of the beta build. We list it here so that if you have a Treo 700p already and can't wait to get connected, this will give you some network access temporarily before the fully functional version is ready. So read the following descriptions carefully. If you can wait, we prefer you come back and get Beta 2 one week later.
    Mobile speed test

965 kbps/sec

0.667s latency
    9.154s d/l time

Addendum: PdaNet Beta 2 released 6-June-2006
    Last edited by 4spammers; 06/06/2006 at 11:09 PM.
    I bet they will charge full price - AGAIN for it...

300...600...650...700...They got a good deal going...but it kills me to have to pay for the same software 4 times in a little over 2 years.

oh well.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec

300...600...650...700...They got a good deal going...but it kills me to have to pay for the same software 4 times in a little over 2 years.

oh well.
    Maybe they will give repeat buyers a break.

Forget about $$$ for a moment and celebrate the 965 kbps!!!
    Why would I want to buy this software when the 700p has the capability built in?
  5.    #5  
    Built in? Tethering is not built in. From what I understand, you either pay for PAM (phone as modem) for $25-40/mo or you use PdaNet.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    Built in? Tethering is not built in. From what I understand, you either pay for PAM (phone as modem) for $25-40/mo or you use PdaNet.
    Or use the modified file posted here a couple days ago to disable modemnai

Mobile speed test

965 kbps/sec

0.667s latency
    9.154s d/l time
    So if I may ask, what's different about PDAnet, like why would we wanna use that and not the simple hack devised the other day?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    So if I may ask, what's different about PDAnet, like why would we wanna use that and not the simple hack devised the other day?
    At this point, the only advantages I see for PdaNet over the hack are safety (trusting that it's working right), reliability (1,2,3), significantly faster connections (e.g., 67-100 kbps, 243 kbps), and lack of side effects. That and the lack of the word hack in the title.

I don't think I'm alone in my thinking, either.

It's very possible that the tethering hack will mature...I'll definitely keep an eye on it. If it keeps JuneFabrics on their toes & keeps their price down, I'm all for that too.
    Yeah, I agree about keeping the price down. I just purchased PDAnet about 8 months ago for my 650. If i get a 700, i do not want to shell out another 34(?) dollars. Their should be an upgrade price of $10 or so. Anymore is pushing it.
    At this point, the only advantages I see for PdaNet over the hack are safety (trusting that it's working right), reliability (1,2,3), significantly faster connections (e.g., 67-100 kbps, 243 kbps), and lack of side effects. That and the lack of the word hack in the title.

I don't think I'm alone in my thinking, either.

It's very possible that the tethering hack will mature...I'll definitely keep an eye on it. If it keeps JuneFabrics on their toes & keeps their price down, I'm all for that too.
    Actually - the reason a lot of people are having issues with the 700p and the tethering hack seem to be that they are using bizarre or unstable drivers or are running incompatible software.

I suppose that PDANet might help some of this by running a client proxy, but Sprint can still detect PAM-type traffic with simple traffic analysis - heck, even User Agent sniffing of HTTP traffic. Of course, PDANet could always change your browser user agent to that of blazer, but that would break 25% of websites out there. Basically, you won't find a guarantee of safety in either solution if you use it this way.

The only safe way to fake PAM (with the hack or with PDANet) is to run all your traffic over a VPN of some sort so that Sprint can't analyze it. Google seems to offer a sort of free world-wide VPN that might work well for this purpose. Sprint won't be able to read any of the data and won't be able to tell you are skimping on the PAM plan.
    Correct me if I misunderstood but I thought to use your "phone as a modem" was "out of the box" easy for th 700p?

Also, I thought Sprint could detect (with the 700p)when you use your PAM (non-sprint)and could cut you off?

thus...PDANET allows you to use your PAM at NO CHARGE until Sprint figures out a way to negate it?
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleNickle
    Correct me if I misunderstood but I thought to use your "phone as a modem" was "out of the box" easy for th 700p?

Also, I thought Sprint could detect (with the 700p)when you use your PAM (non-sprint)and could cut you off?

thus...PDANET allows you to use your PAM at NO CHARGE until Sprint figures out a way to negate it?
    Yeah - for both the tethering hack and PDANet... unless you use a VPN of some sort. Might be a good time for people to learn how to set up personal VPNs to their home PCs!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec

oh well.
    As they should IMHO. It's not the same software, same function to the end users per se, but not the same software. If that was they case, there would not be a 300/180 version, 600 version, 650 vresion, 700W version and now a new 700P version.

What pays for R&D of the new version?

Most companies charge for major updates. (I know Pocket Tunes does and so does DataViz (Doc-to-Go)) like from V2.0 to V3.0, I would say adding 700P support is a major update. Now if it was just the same software and all they did was add/allow the 700P to the list, then could see not paying for it. But I doubt it's the case.

I do think they should offer a return customer discount plan (if they don't already have one)

Just my useless opinion and 2-cents worth...
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndon_h
    Yeah, I agree about keeping the price down. I just purchased PDAnet about 8 months ago for my 650. If i get a 700, i do not want to shell out another 34(?) dollars. Their should be an upgrade price of $10 or so. Anymore is pushing it.

I bought the 600 version then the 650 version
    hopefully its time to show a little customer loyalty
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Hopefully Bluetooth DUN will be available for Mac when using PDANet on a Treo 700p, just as it is for the 700w.

I installed the tethering hack yesterday - worked great in my limited testing - but if I can get better speeds and PDANet proves more reliable, I'd rather use PDANet.
    I'll tell you who pays for R&D....early adopters.

Even Dataviz (Docs2Go) and Iambic (Agendus) offer upgrade discounts for previous customers - and they are adding functionality!

PDANet is offering the same thing.

So while I don't begrudge them making their buck, it makes me less likely to buy anything else from them moving forward.

JuneFabrics is a one-trick pony. Sure it will ride....but it's going to the glue factory eventually.
    I'm interested in trying out PDANet, I'm having great success with the hack at this point though.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Has anyone tried www.mobile-stream.com? I got 320K over usb, but my treo was a little quirky after closing the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meistro
    Has anyone tried www.mobile-stream.com? I got 320K over usb, but my treo was a little quirky after closing the app.
    I tried it and it worked great, I got 597K on my treo connected via USB.
  20.    #20  
    I'd be interested in hearing what kinds of speeds other folks get using PdaNet for Treo 700p Beta 1. It's clearly in beta form, but I was able to get to some websites, including http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed. Internet Explorer works better than Firefox at the moment (in terms of detecting proxy settings). Bluetooth connection was too unreliable to test.

Anyway, if you can download beta 1 and make it to dslreports.com/mspeed for a speed test (using 600K or 1MB), please post your results here.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast