Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    I see about $80 in additional charges...and I did not even use PDANet!

Looks like the Power Vision and SMS raping that Sprint is trying to foist on customers.

Time to call and dispute...
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    Re. plans I have the $25 Power Vision plan. I first installed the hack. Then I've been using PDANet to connect mostly in dial-up mode but some in proxy mode. I just checked my Sprint bill this morning which ended Thursday and saw the charge. It just says Data Usage. I have not disputed it. We are on vacation in Hawaii right now so it's not high on my list of things to do. I know I won't use DUN anymore. I will probably just pay it. I knew there was a risk in doing it. Live and learn.
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

I planned to use the hack while on vacation so it looks like I will need to have PAM to do this on the up and up. I do not have PDANet installed.

It is about time the reports for data charges start coming in.
    Well the jury may still be out. I called Sprint and my data usage charges are related to Sprint TV not DUN. Turns out they did not have me as Ultimate PV. She removed the data usage charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    New to this proxy thing.. With PDANet, if you choose Proxy(Beta2) mode instead of dial up, you get a "PdaNet Proxy Launcher" pop up box. It has the explorer launcher and a box that says +Add which is to add some type of executable file. Can I just click on the explorer icon and be good to go in proxy mode or do I have to add something. Don't want PAM charges and am afraid of the charges that might be handed to me as an infrequent user. Please someone explain this to me in retard form.
    Reposting my previous question. Still do not know answer, hoping for an answer from someone more computer literate than me although that is practically everybody.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Reposting my previous question. Still do not know answer, hoping for an answer from someone more computer literate than me although that is practically everybody.
    Yes- just click on the explorer icon and explorer will fire up and be running in proxy mode. If you have some other program, like firefox, that you want to proxy, you would use the 'add' button to add it to the list.

Proxy mode seemed a lot slower for me. I have not been using it.
  6.    #106  
    New to this proxy thing.. With PDANet, if you choose Proxy(Beta2) mode instead of dial up, you get a "PdaNet Proxy Launcher" pop up box. It has the explorer launcher and a box that says +Add which is to add some type of executable file. Can I just click on the explorer icon and be good to go in proxy mode or do I have to add something. Don't want PAM charges and am afraid of the charges that might be handed to me as an infrequent user. Please someone explain this to me in retard form.
    You can just click the Internet Explorer icon. If you are cool , then you will prefer running Firefox. To use Firefox, you click the +Add button and browse to c:\program files\mozilla firefox\ to find firefox.exe and add it. You'll then have two little icons on the popup: one for Internet Explorer and a second for Firefox. You need to start your browser from the popup for it to work.

Semi-technical stuff...the popup just provides a convenient means of resetting the browser's proxy mode so you don't have to do it manually. PDANet on your phone is actually providing a couple ports for non-secure and secure web access. You can either manually tell your browsers to use those ports in "proxy" mode or take advantage of the little popup to do it magically for you.

In any case, as long as you are using the proxy mode with PDANet, you should be fine. Using PDANet's "dialup" mode will be faster, but will likely result in additional charges if you don't have a PAM plan.

Hope that helps.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo
    Yes- just click on the explorer icon and explorer will fire up and be running in proxy mode. If you have some other program, like FireFox, that you want to proxy, you would use the 'add' button to add it to the list.

Proxy mode seemed a lot slower for me. I have not been using it.
    Be careful. Proxy mode is slower because it uses the phone's browser as a proxy to the internet, essentially guaranteeing that Sprint will see your activity as phone-based activity (I'm not privy to the technical details, but I would assume this activity would be indistinguishable from a 3rd-party app on the phone using the internet connection).

I believe PDANet's dialup mode is the typical PAM connection, simply using the phone as a modem and doing the heavy lifting on your laptop. That will make for a much faster connection...but could result in extra charges.

Granted, I was able to do PAM on my Vision connection w/ a Treo 650 now & then without ever getting extra charges...and the 700p may work out the same way. But time are changing and Sprint could be getting better at distinguishing (and charging for) PAM activity. I'll feel more comfortable after a couple billing cycles have passed.
    Thank you, thank you again. I too used the 650 dial up occasionally and had no problems. My understanding also is that Sprint is a little more hip to our usage with EVDO and the 700p. The proxy mode is suppose to keep us technically in line with their contract provisions but I just wasn't sure if I was in proxy mode. I accidently used the dial up for a few short sessions when I bought the program for the 700p (bought it because of prior positive experience) and was afraid I would see charges on my first bill for PAM. Didn't happen. Still going proxy in the future though. Is firfox that much better?
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Is firfox that much better?
    imho, YES! set tabbed browsing to load new tabs in the background on control-right click, scroll through a treo central forum and and control-right click on all the threads that look interesting, and then just click through the tabs to read them. This is really nice on a slow connection!
  10.    #110  
    Is firfox (sic) that much better?
    As far as browsers go, FireFox runs circles around Internot Expoorer. In the browser world, Mozilla owns Microsoft and then some.

But with PDANet, I think I've gotten better results to date with IE over FF. Not because of FF's failing, but I think JuneFabrics has PDANet's proxy mode working a little smoother for IE at the moment.

I haven't been using PDANet much yet...just playin' around. But vacation is coming very soon, so I'm sure I'll be testing it on the road (while my honey is driving, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    Well the jury may still be out. I called Sprint and my data usage charges are related to Sprint TV not DUN. Turns out they did not have me as Ultimate PV. She removed the data usage charges.
    Update: I received my bill today and there were no data charges for the hack.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456