Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Sprint's T & C in this regard has been a bit difficult to ascertain:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=106657

The closest detail I was able to find described what wasn’t allowed, which wasn’t as restrictive as Verizon or as loose as Cingular. Sprint PCS’s branded Vision plan can’t be used for services, whether “host computer” or “server devices,” can’t replace wireline connections, and can’t drive continuous traffic or ongoing data sessions. Sprint says it can terminate without notice for any violation.
    Has anyone been able to get Proxy mode to work with BT? It works fine for me USB but it keeps dropping the connection when used with BT.
    So if I want to use the dial up mode & not proxy, will Srint know I am using DUN? Or can I install that hack AND use Pdanet & they won't??
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Just curious if anyone has ever done a true comparison of speed compared to using PDANet or actually being a subscriber to POM? Are they the same speeds etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    So if I want to use the dial up mode & not proxy, will Srint know I am using DUN? Or can I install that hack AND use Pdanet & they won't??
    Question is do you want to take a chance at .02 per kb?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    Question is do you want to take a chance at .02 per kb?
    Yes.

I've been testing with the patch hack for a bit, and obsessively check my Sprint bill online (it's updated in pretty much real time) and see no charges from that. I think they see it as regular EVDO data usage, which my plan offers unlimited access. And I think it would be the same with PDANet.

Regardless, many of us will simply be using this once for an hour or so, every few months when we travel. I'm not about to pay $40/month for that once-in-a-blue-moon convenience. Maybe if Sprint was smart, they'd have a $5/day option as well. But they're not. And so I install the hack.

If I got a bill for this usage, I will simply say I never signed up for PAM, so what they are charging me for is, quite simply, impossible. And I will refute and reverse the charges.

That said, I think the folks Sprint would target (and rightfully so) are the folks who'd be using this as their "full time, 24/7" net connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    I'm not about to pay $40/month for that once-in-a-blue-moon convenience. Maybe if Sprint was smart, they'd have a $5/day option as well. But they're not.
    My understanding is that Sprint PAM costs $40 dollars a month, BUT, that includes your Power Vision... So basically, it's an additional $20.

If it's really $40 in addition to the Vision plan, then I'm not interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1davis
    My understanding is that Sprint PAM costs $40 dollars a month, BUT, that includes your Power Vision... So basically, it's an additional $20.

If it's really $40 in addition to the Vision plan, then I'm not interested.

NO you cant have BOTH..... I just did this with Sprint. You cant have Sprint Vision plan and a PAM at the same time. Their system wont let them do it, she told me.

What I did was had them delete my $25 UltimatePVision Plan and REPLACE it with the $39.99/mo Promo PAM unlimited plan, then if you wish you can add PIc Mail $5, Video mail $5 etc ala cart. I rarely use these. I wasnt impressed with Sprint TV. In essence for me, it was $15.00 more per month as the PAM is the most important for me. I also added $5 Text Message plan (100) as I use Text messaging (again not alot) more than Pics , etc. I have it working with my Mac PB G4 on bluetooth and USB Modem with good speeds.
    I can't register PDANet. I paid the $34 and got the code. When I click on the "register PDANet" box it opens up and lets me put in my email and registration code, but there is no "register" button to push. The box seems missized. I have written June Fabric twice with no response. Am I doing something stupid?
    Laissez Faire
    Has anyone compared actual performance between PAM Sprint Connection Manager vs. PDANet vs the Hack with DUN setup vs the USB Modem program? Using DUN with USB I wonder if they all basically provide the same performance. I am seriously considering going ahead and purchasing the $40 PAM plan, but just because I purchase the plan doesn't mean I have to use Connection Manager. I much prefer PDANet or just simple hack with DUN. I've thought about just not going with PAM, but I can't really say this would be something I would use just occasionally. I can see myself using it quite often, so I think I might go ahead and get PAM while you can get it for $40 unlimited use.
    The proxy mode on this is great. it works great with my company's Juniper web-based VPN. Awesome for quick email checking.
    So if I don't use proxy mode, sprint will see I am DUN?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    So if I don't use proxy mode, sprint will see I am DUN?

No one seems to have the answer yet...has anyone been charged for not having the PAM plan or is is safe to say that we can use PDAnet et. al. as long as we do not abuse it? Anyone? Thanks.
    Ran into same problem as earlier poster.

When connected via PDANet.

Phone call comes in (I called myself from a landline to test) -

Connection gets disconnected AND phone doesn't ring (worst of both worlds I guess).

My device doesn't soft reset though as the earlier poster indicated their device did.

Anyone know if that is the same behavior when paying for the official tethered solution?
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin
    I can't register PDANet. I paid the $34 and got the code. When I click on the "register PDANet" box it opens up and lets me put in my email and registration code, but there is no "register" button to push. The box seems missized. I have written June Fabric twice with no response. Am I doing something stupid?
    You need to just scroll down. Point inside the registration box and scroll down and you will see the button to register.
    Quote Originally Posted by teriq
    You need to just scroll down. Point inside the registration box and scroll down and you will see the button to register.
    Desn't work. It does not scroll.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin
    Desn't work. It does not scroll.
    I seem to recall that I had to register within my laptop computer (not through the Treo) when I clicked on the PdaNet icon on the bottom right taskbar of my laptop. This was the process for PdaNet for my Treo 650. I don't have the 700p version of PdaNet yet so I don't know if anything has changed.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    ^also the case for 300 & 600. You register the app on your PC, not the treo.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I signed up for the POM service. I have tried out PdaNet in both modes and both worked though the dialup mode was much faster. I am doing some quick testing of PdaNet vs SCM and I haven't registered any speed differences when doing bandwidth tests. Has anyone else done any experimenting with this? I do like the fact that SCM will disconnect when a call comes in and reconnect after you get off the call. I believe some people have had issue with that with PdaNet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    I seem to recall that I had to register within my laptop computer (not through the Treo) when I clicked on the PdaNet icon on the bottom right taskbar of my laptop. This was the process for PdaNet for my Treo 650. I don't have the 700p version of PdaNet yet so I don't know if anything has changed.
    Yes but it is on tghe laptop that I CANNOT ACCESS THE COMpLETE BOX FOR REGISTRATION. There is a space for my email but not for the code and no button to push to register and I cannot scroll or expand the box,
    Laissez Faire
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast