Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    How many reception bars are you getting at those 800K+ speeds?
    Sweet! I just installed the latest version and got some pretty good speeds via USB (Dial-up mode).

DSLreports (1MB) = 521 kbps
    SBC speed test = 742.58 kbps

Question:
    JUne Fabrics says Proxy mode helps prevent Sprint from deteting PAM usage, but what if we use Dial-up mode with the the tether hack PRC installed? Would that be good enough to hide from the PAM police?
    What if Sprint can detect what browser we're using? What are the chances of that? Obviously, IE, Firefox, etc. are not Blazer, Xiino, or others.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Oh my God - this is the bomb!!!! I connected at 2.4Mbps and it was incredibly fast!!!

This is a must-have for every 700 owner!!!

SMEGGIE
    What happens if you are connected and you get a phone call? It seems to not answer and also disconnect from the internet and soft reset the phone. Is that right or am I doning something wrong?
    Laissez Faire
    Regardless of which browser you are using and how the device is reporting the connection, wouldn't Sprint/Verizon intrinsically know you are tethering when the fastest that Blazer can do is ~400-500 kbps and suddenly you are getting 600-800kbps? Surely, they have tested and logged the speeds of device only versus device PAM.
    Anyone with Verizon noticed that the "supported" VZAccess USB tethering solution uses a modem driver signed by June Fabrics? Whazzup with that? Is VZAccess just a repackaged branded version of PDANet?

I paid to be legitimate. Why would I pay extra for PDANet? If VZAccess uses the same software as PDANet what's the value add here?

Thanks in advance.

Sam

PS. BTW the VZAccess solution has yielded a top speed of 1200Kbps averaging 400-600Kbps. PDANet can make that go even faster?
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
    Regardless of which browser you are using and how the device is reporting the connection, wouldn't Sprint/Verizon intrinsically know you are tethering when the fastest that Blazer can do is ~400-500 kbps and suddenly you are getting 600-800kbps? Surely, they have tested and logged the speeds of device only versus device PAM.
    They can always sniff your HTTP traffic and see the IE or Firefox header. Best to use a VPN with either JuneFabrics' proxy or the tethering hack.
    Are they allowed to sniff our traffic? Isn't that sort of like listening in on our phone calls? I'm not saying that they won't do this but I don't think that they would be foolish enough to pursue action against you (legal or non-legal) based on this sort of information.

It's kind of like telling your boss that you know he could have given you a bigger raise because you hacked into his inbox and saw that he had more budget than he told you.
    Can anyone confirm that PDA Net with dial-up mode (proxy mode is too slow for this 1XRT user) on VERIZON will not incur their PAM charges?
    How do folks feel about the new Proxy mode? June Fabrics is kind of stating that this doesn't violate the PAM plans because you are not actually using the Treo as a modem. I've tried it and the speeds seem to be very good. Maybe not as good as PAM mode, but much better than what I was getting on my 650. I don't really want to break any Sprint policies and possibly end up with some huge data bills to pay but I don't mind using a fine point in the plan rules .
    Four questions:

1. Can Sprint tell when you are in non-proxy mode that you are using PAM?
    2. Is proxy mode slower than normal PDAnet (for curiosity sake why)?
    3. Had anyone here gotten charged for non-proxy PDAnet use?
    3. I have not gotten my 700p yet in the mail...is this current version of PDNnet trialware or is it still a beta (i.e. unlimited).

Thank you.
    Last edited by bluetieman; 06/08/2006 at 06:42 AM.
    I think you have to pay for the new Preview version or it stops working after 15 days. I just went ahead and purchased the 650 upgrade. I figured it is working fine now, so the final version would just be that much better. I haven't tried the normal mode very much, just Proxy mode. I'm fine with it. It works great with both Firefox and Thunderbird. It's kind of strange the way it works. They have a special launcher that appears on the screen, that way you don't have to go in and change the proxy settings directly. Speed is excellent IMO. In fact, I'm using it right now and had forgot I wasn't plugged into my cable modem.
    I have been able to get the proxy mode to work with IE6 and Firefox browswers on my laptop, but I cannot get Outlook to work. Is this proxy mode supposed to work with any/all applications (including VPN), or does it just work for browsers?

The non-proxy PAM mode works fine with Outlook by the way.
    PDAnet IMO to be great but I have one question: If its installed with Windows, am I able to use Bluetooth or USB on a Mac to then allow my Mac to connect through the proxy via internet/EVDO? Thanks for everyones hard work on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    Ummm...their page claims to support Linux.
    That would be great. All I see is this however: "It only runs on Windows XP/2000/ME/98SE and does not support Mac." June Fabrics Page
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditto
    PDAnet IMO to be great but I have one question: If its installed with Windows, am I able to use Bluetooth or USB on a Mac to then allow my Mac to connect through the proxy via internet/EVDO?
    I don't think so. BUT you could probably enable Internet sharing via Wi-Fi on the PC, and connect your Mac that way...
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    That would be great. All I see is this however: "It only runs on Windows XP/2000/ME/98SE and does not support Mac." June Fabrics Page
    I believe the poster was referring to USB Modem, not PDANet.
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
    PureInstinct has asked exactly my question. I want to get up on PAM right away, but I just don't see the point in PDANet.

Blazer is hella slow. There's only so much data you could reasonably get through it in a given month. Never mind which browser you're using, the faster bandwidth or the PAM flag. Surely Sprint could simply look for users with heavy data usage at the end of the month and conclude that they must be tethering.
    http://portal.treobits.com/index.php...ingle&ide=2410

PdaNet for the Treo 700p has two main features that are specific to the 700p. There is EVDO Boost and Proxy Mode. The EVDO Boost could potentially double your download speed. The more interesting in my opinion is Proxy Mode, which is described as providing the following functionality:

Once you install PdaNet, you will notice an additional Proxy Mode in addition to the classic Dialup Mode (also called Phone-As-Modem mode) we have seen from previous versions of PdaNet. The way Proxy Mode work is that it routes network traffic of applications you specified on your computer to the smartphone device and uses a network application on the smartphone device to relay such network traffic.

The reason for this being needed is the following:

I guess you must have the million dollar question in mind: why do we need Proxy Mode if Dialup Mode is working perfectly well and better? Well...in case you don't know...when you use your Treo device for Phone-As-Modem usage on your laptop, your carrier would usually require you to pay for an additional Phone-As-Modem plan on top of the usual data plan on the phone. If you don't have such a subscription, there is always a concern that your carrier might not be happy one day. Since Proxy Mode is virtually a network application on the device and do not use your device for Phone-As-Modem usage, it should well address such concern and will always work as long as you have network access on your smartphone.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast