Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    For what it's worth, I recall that PDANet did offer a discount to upgrade from the 600 to the 650 version. You can see on this page that they offered a $10 discount.

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/buy650.php
    To add my two cents worth...

I recently upgraded from the 600 to the 700. PDANet on the 600 was my most used app, although I was careful to use it sparingly (when not near wi-fi). Of course now that I have the 700, I already miss PDANet.

The hack works great. I was able to copy it to the SD card and use Resco to put it in RAM. After installing the Sprint PCS Connection Manager from the 700 install disk, everything worked great. It did seem slower than I thought, though. I used the stock USB charge cable, as my laptop doesn't have BT.

If PDANet for 700 offers at least the same level of functionality as PDANet for 600, then I think it makes for a "cleaner" way to tether and will probably upgrade. It does seems like June Fabrics should reward customer loyalty with some sort of upgrade discount.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I will say that with the hi-res screen and EVDO speeds, the laptop seems less essential than it did when I had a 600.
    I have to say that unless the final version of PDANet improves alot over the beta, I'll just be staying with the "hack". I couldn't get PDANet to do much at all for me. I ran it using the USB cable and in IE (which I hate to start with), it was excrutiatingly slow. In fact, I couldn't even connect to TC for some reason. I tried BT, but never could get it to work period. I uninstalled it all and am back with the hack which works great via BT.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    For what it's worth, I recall that PDANet did offer a discount to upgrade from the 600 to the 650 version. You can see on this page that they offered a $10 discount.

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/buy650.php
    Sounds more then fair to me, lets hope they offer it again...
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    I'd be interested in hearing what kinds of speeds other folks get using PdaNet for Treo 700p Beta 1.

Anyway, if you can download beta 1 and make it to dslreports.com/mspeed for a speed test (using 600K or 1MB), please post your results here.
    I'm using PAM. I get 500k down, 50k up using PAM over Bluetooth.
    So it looks like PDAnet is a windoze only piece of software. Is there any mac support out there for pdanet-like tethering?
    I can not seem to get this to work and I think it might have something to do with Symantec firewall but I tried turning that off and still nothing. Any suggestions?
    And where is that Mac version?

Still looking for that USB PAM option. Oh well, the bluetooth is still pretty slick.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by delao13
    I'm using PAM. I get 500k down, 50k up using PAM over Bluetooth.
    Thanks. What do you get over USB?
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Does this require the tether feature to be activated?

Quote Originally Posted by Meistro
    Has anyone tried www.mobile-stream.com? I got 320K over usb, but my treo was a little quirky after closing the app.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by NateBracey
    I can not seem to get this to work and I think it might have something to do with Symantec firewall but I tried turning that off and still nothing. Any suggestions?
    I think we'll have to wait for PdaNet to make a Beta 2. They're trying to appease us early adopters with a sneak preview, but it's flakey. They've implied that Beta 2 should be out within a week.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zyprexa

Still looking for that USB PAM option. Oh well, the bluetooth is still pretty slick.
    Check out link below. Getting my 700P this week, but looks like support from folks in link for Mac USB connection...

http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html
    Mac? I don't need Mac... I need Linux!
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    Mac? I don't need Mac... I need Linux!
    Ummm...their page claims to support Linux.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    Thanks. What do you get over USB?
    1000k down, 56 up.
    I installed USB Modem last night and got around 458K via USB cable. Easy, fast and worked great!
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by delao13
    1000k down, 56 up.
    Sweet! That's about what I got. I haven't seen another 700p solution at these speeds yet. Unfortunately, Beta 1 is a bit too flakey to use (at least it was for me).

Looking forward to PdaNet for 700p Beta 2 ... and an initial release.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jalampi
    I installed USB Modem last night and got around 458K via USB cable. Easy, fast and worked great!
    jalampi,
    are you sure that USB Modem doesn't need a data plan? PdaNet comes out and says that you won't. I didn't see such confidence w/ USB Modem. I'm probably just being paranoid.

Personally, I hope all of these solutions (patch, USB modem, PdaNet) work well. More choices.
  19.    #39  
    PdaNet Beta 2 is here!

http://www.junefabrics.com/images/pdanet650.gif

It boasts EVDO Boost (speed optimization) and Proxy Mode (avoid PAM charges)
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneFabrics

The price for a single user license of PdaNet for Treo 700p will be:
    • $34 if you have not purchased any versions of PdaNet before.
    • $29 for site license (set quantity to 10 or above in next page).
    • $29 if you have previously purchased PdaNet for Treo 600.
    • $19 if you have previously purchased PdaNet for Treo 650 (limited time offer)
    I'm able to get 800-900+ kbps through a USB connection with this version of PdaNet!

I've already registered (it's the early adopter in me). Heck, I can't even go to a movie for $19 nowadays.
    Last edited by 4spammers; 06/06/2006 at 10:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyprexa

Today I tried the Mobile-Stream.com USB modem software, and it seems to work with my AlBook. Much faster than BT. I got 800k over USB, only 300+ k with BT.

However, I encountered some kind of bug with both BT and USB tethering today, too. What happens is that it'll be working fine, and then all of a sudden, I'll lose connection (for example, web pages won't load any more) although the timer is still running. When I tell Internet Connect to "disconnect", it just hangs forever on "disconnecting". The only way to reconnect is to restart the computer.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast