Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Lost the Transcend 4GB card today after a backup with RescoBackup. I had taken quite a few pictures and made several recordings and modifications. I had just installed SharkLinks as well (without much researching, appears to checkout on the 700p though), so there were a lot of things going on. RescoBackup completed the backup perfectly without resetting, but after I did an immediate manual reset using LauncherX, the card was not recognized. Ouch! ...and I just bought a second one of these cards yesterday thinking they were reasonably stable. Ouch! Ouch!

After few soft resets in various combinations and permutations, the card came back, but I don't know how long it intends to stay with me, and I really don't know what I did to get it back (remove, reset, reset, insert, reset?). I sweated out the backup to my laptop (via Card Reader which saved the day), and fortunately all my work was safely stored away. Now, I'm just waiting for the next disappearance...

This is the second time the card has disappeard (I don't remember what program I was using the last time) and it's really getting uncomfortable. After reading about the CradleCare cure, and about one of the group running into a reset loop after installing it, I'm just going to sit tight for a while and see what happens.

When in doubt, do nothing.
    I really don't think most of these problems are directly related to the card itself.. My Treo doesn't like either of two cards I have, one Sandisc, one Transcend. I think it has to do with how much stuff I have in ram. If I disable 2-3 things in ram the card is recognized almost all of the time, but with the stuff I have in, it's NEVER recognised. At least with CradleCare I can launch it and tick/untick something in the Card section and the card is remounted.. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to do it itself without Alarm on.

The reason I don't turn on Alarm is it seems to cause lockups on my Treo every time. I should get with Jeff on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    If I disable 2-3 things in ram the card is recognized almost all of the time, but with the stuff I have in, it's NEVER recognised.
    khaytsus, can you mention the 2 or 3 things you disable to get the Treo to recognize these cards? Also, did you format the cards in the Treo and did that not make a difference? It definitely does look like something in the handheld itself.
    Last edited by copernicus; 08/26/2006 at 11:57 AM.
    I've got my new treo 650 a couple of days ago, realized the problem of SD card auto-eject. For some reason the card get recognized, when pressing the power button at some instances the device hangs for a few seconds, you hear that ding sound (happens when the card is ejected manually), then the card is not recognized. After a few more seconds, I turn off the unit (only power button, not reset) then turn it on, the card is recognized. This problem doesn't occur on the treo 600.

After reading the thread, I installed cradle care, it seems to be usefull, I turned on the SD card auto remount utility, also checking the master enable. I have to say the number of card failures went down, but only once I got the "Card disconnected" alarm without touching the card.
    I still couldn't get to the bottom of the issue, why does the device eject the card occasionally. It seems that something is trying to access the card, and fails.

One other thing, I formatted the card on my pc using a card reader, FAT system. When I plugged the card in the phone everything is fine, but once the problem happens I realize that the DCIM folder get created. After then the problem happens occasionally. If I use fileZ to delete the DCIM folder, the problem goes, until that app tries to access the card.

note: this problem happens with my 2GB card, 512MB, 64MB, 16MB, all kinds (sandisk, lexar, unbranded ...), doesn't seem to be from the card.

Anyways, thanks Jeff for the application, didn't completely solve the problem, but I think it gets us closer
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Here's a thought:

I have:

QuickNews
    OD:Sports
    4Cast
    Chatter
    TreoHelper
    Verichat
    MacroPlay

all set to do something at different times of the day. I tried adding Causerie, which was set to poll the server every 2 minutes and initialize on start up. Next time I reset I lost the card. Then I deleted several apps not in the list above, reset, no card. I dumped QuickNews and the card was back. Restored QuickNews with auto-update alarm, card was gone again.
    So then I decided to turn off QN auto-update but did not delete the app. Soft reset and the card came back.

Same pattern in general- too many notifications at start up or too many time-based alarms during seem to trigger the card error. Try to turn some of the notifications off and let us know what happens.
    OK, I have also find out that QuickNews auto-update causes the SD card to unmount after a reset and unchecking this option makes the Treo recognize the card again. The question now is Why is this happening? I have contacted StandAlone and they are clueless as to why is that happening. They wanna to know what they can do to fix it. Anybody could share some ideas to get this awesome application working on the Treo 700p?

Thanks,

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Lost the Transcend 4GB card today after a backup with RescoBackup. I had taken quite a few pictures and made several recordings and modifications. I had just installed SharkLinks as well (without much researching, appears to checkout on the 700p though), so there were a lot of things going on. RescoBackup completed the backup perfectly without resetting, but after I did an immediate manual reset using LauncherX, the card was not recognized. Ouch! ...and I just bought a second one of these cards yesterday thinking they were reasonably stable. Ouch! Ouch!

After few soft resets in various combinations and permutations, the card came back, but I don't know how long it intends to stay with me, and I really don't know what I did to get it back (remove, reset, reset, insert, reset?). I sweated out the backup to my laptop (via Card Reader which saved the day), and fortunately all my work was safely stored away. Now, I'm just waiting for the next disappearance...

This is the second time the card has disappeard (I don't remember what program I was using the last time) and it's really getting uncomfortable. After reading about the CradleCare cure, and about one of the group running into a reset loop after installing it, I'm just going to sit tight for a while and see what happens.

When in doubt, do nothing.
    For what it's worth, I've been using CradleCare for about a month now, and have not had any card dismounts (or reset loops) since I've been using it. I went from daily dismounts to none. And I'm using the same card as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    khaytsus, can you mention the 2 or 3 things you disable to get the Treo to recognize these cards? Also, did you format the cards in the Treo and did that not make a difference? It definitely does look like something in the handheld itself.
    No.. I meant that in a general sense. Like if I disable just about ANYTHING it makes the SD card more likely to mount on its own.

I think Jeff already mentioned that it might be a timing issue, more programs in ram = more time to boot.

By the way, I updated to 1.20 software last weekend and my problem with CradleCare freezing the Treo with the card alert enabled is gone, so now CradleCare does all of the work automagically. I was having to go in and toggle options to get it to mount the card (still better than soft resetting until it showed up)
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    No.. I meant that in a general sense. Like if I disable just about ANYTHING it makes the SD card more likely to mount on its own.

I think Jeff already mentioned that it might be a timing issue, more programs in ram = more time to boot.

By the way, I updated to 1.20 software last weekend and my problem with CradleCare freezing the Treo with the card alert enabled is gone, so now CradleCare does all of the work automagically. I was having to go in and toggle options to get it to mount the card (still better than soft resetting until it showed up)
    Very much appreciate the input khaytsus!
    I just ran across this thread today.

I'm stunned, I am having an intermitant issue with the my 650 not seeing the external card. I'm using a Ultra SD 2GB card. Have had no problems with it.

But occassionally, after reboot it or removing the card and re-inserting it, it will not recognize the card.

In all of this, I just never went to re-format the card.

My first thought (and the one that I guess I still hold onto today) is that the contacts are dirty and need to be cleaned.

I did see in the stores that there indeed a SD card cleaning kit which cleans the contact points in the slot.

I haven't tried to do this yet.

But as I said, all I did is remove the card put it back in and reboot the Treo, so far the card and all it's data do come back.

So, I ask could this problem just be dirty contacts. Is it possible that there is a virus running around?

Maybe what I am getting is not exactly what you guys are talking about here.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Below is post #41 that EXACTLY describes my problem today. Are there any real solutions to this one?

Originally Posted by ERicJ
    Similar experience tonight, my previously working (650 and 700p) PNY 2GB SD card has suddenly stopped working.

Or more accurately I should say my Treo700p has stopped recognizing any SD Cards. I tried a 32MB HP card and a 128MB Simpletech card and each one results in the "Unrecognized Card: The handheld cannot recognize this card." error.

I tried reformatting the 2GB in my PC as both FAT and FAT32. Neither one enabled the card to be recognized in the 700p.

CardInfo says the name is "*SD02G" (where * is a hollow-box character). Attempting to format from CardInfo yields: "! Format Failed".

I tried a safe-mode reset (5-way up + reset button) and it still errors out on all three cards.

I successfully reformatted the 2GB in my Treo650. The 650 and the PC recognize it but the 700p gives the same error.

Only a Hard Reset enabled the 700p to recognize the card again....

ERic
    Quote Originally Posted by vatech78 View Post
    Below is post #41 that EXACTLY describes my problem today. Are there any real solutions to this one?

Originally Posted by ERicJ
    Similar experience tonight, my previously working (650 and 700p) PNY 2GB SD card has suddenly stopped working.

Or more accurately I should say my Treo700p has stopped recognizing any SD Cards. I tried a 32MB HP card and a 128MB Simpletech card and each one results in the "Unrecognized Card: The handheld cannot recognize this card." error.

I tried reformatting the 2GB in my PC as both FAT and FAT32. Neither one enabled the card to be recognized in the 700p.

CardInfo says the name is "*SD02G" (where * is a hollow-box character). Attempting to format from CardInfo yields: "! Format Failed".

I tried a safe-mode reset (5-way up + reset button) and it still errors out on all three cards.

I successfully reformatted the 2GB in my Treo650. The 650 and the PC recognize it but the 700p gives the same error.

Only a Hard Reset enabled the 700p to recognize the card again....

ERic
    Have you tried installing CradleCare? Are you using any backup software (other than HotSync Manager) with a lot of programs installed?
    Great. It's back. Nothing's changed on my device (no problems for the better part of a month, now). Just the latest PRL update. Damn Palm.
    My 650 does with quite often. It seems to only not see the card after coming back up from a non-user-prompted reset (ie, some program conflict caused it to reboot).

I've tried all the stuff in the previous posts and nothing seems foolproof on bringing the card back. Sometimes simply waiting a few minutes brings it back, other times it can take 15 minutes. Last night it did it twice while I was playing with Java and I brought it back consecuitively by 1) ejecting the card with the treo on. 2) turning screen off and 3) inserting card with treo off and 3a) IMMEDIATELY pressing the power button and 3b) unlocking the phone.

Dunno if it is a coincidence, but like I said, this procedure brought it back twice in a row, when before, only luck and time seemed to.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Just to throw in my $.02, CradleCare solved my SD card not mounting on soft rest problem too. As an added bonus, I can also delete PalmPuke and CardKeeper, both of which I had been using to notify me if my card popped out.

Great app Jeff!
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    AMAZING... Iv'e had this problem for 1month 1/2 now and havent seen this thread or been told about it..
    (I will read this full thread tonight and try every suggestion..)

Im usually pretty swift with the Palm OS/hardware and usually don't ask/need help..
    But I have been agitated to no end for more than a month now with something.

Right before I upgraded to a 700p, my 650 had the same problem of;
    Some internal hack/app/plug-in is causing the SD slot to not detect an insert. It's very weird because it detects an eject(Sound), but no sound with insert and Zlauncher does not see it. When running software card readers, Softstick Card Export or Card Reader, it mounts on the desktop and works. Those apps see the SD card.
    I have spent literally, days trying to solve this. I have tried comparing REsco backupsets with non-working/ working backups.. process of elimination.. deleting apps&reset after each one... but no JOY.... :_(

I used to get around this annoyance by taking the battery out and holding reset for 10sec. , for some reason that's not working anymore.
    I tried PalmInternals app, but not sure the best way to use it..

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Sincerely,

Wilson Bradley
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    So, I ask could this problem just be dirty contacts. Is it possible that there is a virus running around?

Maybe what I am getting is not exactly what you guys are talking about here.

Rob
    I think you have a diff. prob.
    You know I know almost for certain that this symptom we are seeing is software/hack related. If it works after a hard reset without moving the device.. it tells you it's software.

Iv'e been dealing with this for more than a month now and it's VERY irritating.

It has happened to me so many times now that I thought I found the culprit and after comp. removing the app, it happened again. I think if we all put our heads together we will find the app or hack that is causing this. I wouldnt be surprised if it turns out to be Agendus or some very common app we are all using.

I suggest we post what/ and what version we have installed and use the process of elimination. I have tried this myself however with no success using the resco backup.

There has to be someone who writes code for palm reading this who knows the internals and how to troubleshoot this better than myself..
    HELP

Honestly, I have 30mb+ of software on my device alone(not SD), so I might not be the perfect person to list all my apps. Is there someone here that uses a minimal amount of apps 15mb or less, that is seeing this?

You know, it feels like we are doing R&D for Palm here. It might not be their fault, but they could at least include or make Debugging tools..
    Last edited by Wilsonb; 10/28/2006 at 01:26 PM.
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vatech78 View Post
    I have never had it this bad to where it wouldn't work after a 5-way up and reset. It's like safe mode on a pc. It doesn't load things when it returns.. that's why a lot of other stuff don't work after this.

When you say it Errors out.. do you mean It doesn't recognize when inserting.. just want to make sure were staying with one type of problem at a time.

It's gotten worse for me also. I used to be able get it back by pulling the battery and holding reset for 10sec.

Now that doesn't work anymore.

I have to revert to an older(working) backup.
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sherif_taher View Post
    After reading the thread, I installed cradle care, it seems to be usefull,
    For me CradleCare did not bring back the SD insert function.
    _________

Actually, tried it again and looked a little closer.. It seems to see the card in zlauncher after exiting Cradlecare..but no sound and the card disappears soon after the card is ejected...So don't eject card to use.

I think CradleCare is getting close.

If this ends up fixing it.. I'll buy this in a heartbeat!

I can easly test this because I use Tomtom software. Tomtom autolaunches when the card is inserted. I used to activate Tomtom by eject/inserting card. I can live with using an icon in Zlauncher instead.

FOR those of you who have tried Cradlecare without success, be sure and check to see if the card is truly mounted. It might not make a sound.!!

Im VERY happy about this..because I custom the crap out of mine (30megs) and like a PC, once you have it the way you want.. the card issue could put a damper to all that.

It doesn't explain the problem but it does fix it...
    Last edited by Wilsonb; 10/28/2006 at 02:50 PM.
    Wilson, I assume you did this but just to be sure; on the Main screen of CradleCare you have Master Enable selected then on the Card screen you have Attempt Card Re-Mount selected.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Wilson, I assume you did this but just to be sure; on the Main screen of CradleCare you have Master Enable selected then on the Card screen you have Attempt Card Re-Mount selected.
    Yes, sir.. Thanks for being detailed.

I think that the Cradlecare would be complete if it refreshed when the card was ejected. (At least thats' how mine is acting.) I have to go back into app and uncheck/check Re-Mount.

This SD insert lost issue really made me sour towards palm, I guess because I am so dependent on the SD. Including TomTom for driving.

I think were almost there!!!
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn