Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Jeff you are the man...!!! Thanks for such an awesome support.

Al
    Jeff,

It looks like I spoke too soon. With Cradlecare and SD card monitoring enabled, I lost the mounting of the card. Then when I changed the battery it went into a reset loop. When the Treo reset the phone would turn back on. Then immediately after the service connection process it would reset again.

I managed to stop the reset cycle (after trying about 7 or 8 different things) by popping out the SD card while the connection process was underway. That brought up the SD card removed warning. I hit snooze and that kept it from resetting again.

I did a soft reset and it went back into the loop (even when the card was out). The only way to stop the loop was by putting the card in and popping it out before the next reset.

Once I disabled Cradlecare my reset loop ended completely. BTW, I did not have the "reset to recover card" box checked.

What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    Jeff,

It looks like I spoke too soon. With Cradlecare and SD card monitoring enabled, I lost the mounting of the card. Then when I changed the battery it went into a reset loop. When the Treo reset the phone would turn back on. Then immediately after the service connection process it would reset again.

I managed to stop the reset cycle (after trying about 7 or 8 different things) by popping out the SD card while the connection process was underway. That brought up the SD card removed warning. I hit snooze and that kept it from resetting again.

I did a soft reset and it went back into the loop (even when the card was out). The only way to stop the loop was by putting the card in and popping it out before the next reset.

Once I disabled Cradlecare my reset loop ended completely. BTW, I did not have the "reset to recover card" box checked.

What do you think?
    Hard to tell. CradleCare has never produced a reset loop before this. Can you try and repeat the test? Did you do a ##377 to get an error log?

Jeff
    I did repeat it several times yesterday. All I have to do is enable CradleCare and SD Card support and then do a reset and it starts again. At least it is pretty easy to get out of.

However, my SD card is completely worthless. It won't mount and neither will any others (tried two others of different mfg and size).

I did a ##377 and it said reset caused by CradleCare.
    I don't think it is CradleCare. You need to disable all your hacks and anything that modifies your system. Are you using a Treo 700p? If so this Treo has problems with mounting cards and cradlecare is helping us.

Jeff, I can't wait for the new version that supports the Treo 700p with card bigger than 1GB?

Thanks,

Al
    Here's a thought:

Check your number of reset notifications and alarms in general. Turn off an auto-update or five instead of outright deleting apps. Post your results. Maybe Jeff can add some logic to what I've observed:

I have:

QuickNews
    OD:Sports
    4Cast
    Chatter
    TreoHelper
    Verichat
    MacroPlay

all set to do something at different times of the day. I tried adding Causerie, which was set to poll the server every 2 minutes and initialize on start up. Next time I reset I lost the card. Then I deleted several apps not in the list above, reset, no card. I dumped QuickNews and the card was back. Restored QuickNews with auto-update alarm, card was gone again.
    So then I decided to turn off QN auto-update but did not delete the app. Soft reset and the card came back.

Same pattern in general- too many notifications at start up or too many time-based alarms during seem to trigger the card error. Try to turn some of the notifications off and let us know what happens.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Hummm.

This is strange. I was able to easily recreate the reset loop yesterday but not now. I re-enabled cradlecare and then my 2 GB Corsair SD card remounted.

I have reset the machine 4 or 5 times and it does not go back into the loop.

One difference I noted is that after the phone starts back up I do not get a "service connection" window like I did yesterday. Yessterday it started connecting as soon as the phone had turned back on.

BTW, yes I am using a 700p - this is the 700p forum right

thanks for your help. Looks like it is fine right now. ## 377 did say cradlecare each time though that doesn't necessarily prove anything.
    Palms and more Palms till the 700p ruined it for me. Blackberry and now the Pre. Sprint customer since 1994! They had 1 tower in town.
    Most of the cards that have been discussed on this thread are not the newer 4 Gigabyte cards which I have the impression do not suffer from the affliction of disappearing and needing CradleCare to be recognized. I'm just wondering if I'm wrong about this, and whether or not the new filing system is more in tune with the larger cards...
    Last edited by copernicus; 08/12/2006 at 08:49 PM.
    This is utter bull$h!t. I've had my device about a week now--no problems. I've made two changes within the past couple of hours. Now, whamo. No freaking recognition of card (4 GB Transcend, with which I've had no problem).

1) I installed kblightsout (which I barred from the 650 for various reasons).

2) I loaded OnDemand. Which seems to have placed about a dozen pieces of garbage in my saved preferences.

EDIT #1 - Uninstalled KB & OD with Uninstaller. Still no recognition of card. I did a warm reboot (by holding the 5-way up) and used Palm's native card program (in ROM). It definitely knows there's a card in.

In fact, it says

Card SDC
    Type Secure Digital Card
    Size none

Pop the card out, and it says
    No card inserted.

Time to restore backup.

EDIT #2 -

Did a HARD reset.
    Card was recognized.
    Restored from backup. No Card recognition.

Thankfully, I have multiple backup sets (I keep 10 "incremental" backups with resco, and make a new backup whenever I make a software/major change to the device. At the end of each day run a daily backup in a separate folder. I restored the backup with KB and without OD). Again, no card recognition.

Time to hard reset, and restore from a backup that has NEITHER KB nor OD.

EDIT #3 - Okay. No OD No KB and NO FREAKING CARD. Further investigation reveals I had forgotten that I put on the newest version of DA (the beta 3). Time for another hard reset.

EDIT #4 - Okay.

No OD
    No KB
    No DA
    No freaking card.

Could it be the voice-mail alert that I've been ignoring? Everytime the phone has been booting up after a reset, the blinking green light goes off, because I've not retrieved a message.

Is the blinking light because of the Treo, natively?
    Or is it related to Butler?

EDIT #4 -

I listened to the voice-mail.
    No Card.
    I soft reset this time (soft resets hadn't worked before now).
    The blinking light went off again.
    The new voice-mail envelope icon was still there, despite my having listened to the message.

Then they both disappeared. And my card came back.

WTF? I also did a PRL update this evening, now that I think of it. XXXX21 to XXXX23. Thoughts?

I'm going to hard reset and restore the device WITH DA & KB (I hadn't done a backup with OD).

EDIT #5 - No Card.
    Soft Reset
    Card's back.

I check the PRL (and despite a *2, earlier, and message saying the phone was installing an update, it still says XXXX21, not 23. Whatever that means).

Conclusion: NO IDEA. This is nuts.
    Last edited by CheckPt.Charlie; 08/13/2006 at 02:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckPt.Charlie
    This is utter bull$h!t. I've had my device about a week now--no problems. I've made two changes within the past couple of hours. Now, whamo. No freaking recognition of card (4 GB Transcend, with which I've had no problem).

<snip>

This is nuts.
    Darned, and here I was just asking about the 4 Gigabyte cards! There has to be a good answer and workaround for this kind of thing or we are going to be stumped.
    I was reading back through the thread and saw your question (and edited my post to add that info).

I've used the card with my 650 since the FAT32 hack came out, without issue.

After I logged off the board, I figured I'd better image my card before the data disappeared. So I put it in my card-reader, which has never failed me, and plugged it into my computer. Not recognized.

Pull it out. Blow on the metal tines (which I've never had to do, either), put it back in, and it works just fine. Now, this might lead some to believe it's a physical problem with the card, but I don't think so. Each time I did a warm/hard reset on the Treo, the card was instantly recognized.

But it's strange, nonetheless. I imaged my card to the computer. Burned to a CDRom. Reformatted in the card reader. Recopied all the data back to the card. And will go from there, and report back with anything weird.

I still haven't put OnDemand back on my device. As I recall (from th 10 minutes I had it on), it has a whole crapload of autoupdate features w/regard to AddIt (whatever that is) or something. Others have experienced autoupdate problems & card recognition whether with QuickNews or (I think Chatter, too--I use Snapper). I think I may have said earlier, I'm fairly conservative with hacks and anything that's scheduled (except for alarms) because eliminating all of these seemed to increase stability on my 650.

I included a detailed journal last night, because perhaps someone else will sleuth out something I've neglected to see that might clue us all into what's going on.

EDIT - Interestingly, I just dialed *2 talk to see if the phone would update, having been flagged yesterday. Phone for the second time (as last night, once, but not any time since when I dial *2) the phone told me it was updating. And the process was complete. PRL still says 21 instead of 23 however. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    Darned, and here I was just asking about the 4 Gigabyte cards! There has to be a good answer and workaround for this kind of thing or we are going to be stumped.
    Last edited by CheckPt.Charlie; 08/13/2006 at 05:07 PM.
    This kind of thing can drive you crazy. Thanks for the update.
    Was reading e-mail this morning and couldn't understand why only four messgaes showed, despite Snapper's saying there were 80 in my in-box. Then it occurred to me my card was probably unmounted. Yep. So so much for the re-format I did (as described in the post, above).

I have cradlecare, however (even though I had no idea about it's mounting feature until people mentioned it, here). Enabled it and the card was back. Didn't even have to reset.

So I'm okay so long as cradle care continues to work. If it doesn't (no fault of Jeff's) then I'll go crazy. Again.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Im having a similiar issue. i just bought a 4gb sd card on ebay. i loaded it and immediately notice a problem right out the box. I put it in my treo 700p and it took about 10 secs before it was recognized. as soon as i would access an app from the card the card would disconnect and it showed in card info that the card was not inserted. the card by the way was still in the treo. if i took it out and put it back in it would still take about 5-10 secs to be recognized. I have hard resetted my treo and formatted the card and the same thing keeps happening

The card works fine in the card reader connected to my laptop. I save all my old memory cards. Every other memory card is recognized immediately and works fine. i have a 64mb mmc, 1gb sd card, and even a 2gb mini sd card with the adapter and they all worked in the 700...

I then noticed that in card info, the sd card was actually reading multimedia card. so i tried an old 64mb mmc that i had and it worked. Now im convinced that there is just something wrong with the card. But why does my PC recognize it and read/write to it with no problem.

I wonder if its a problem with it being a 4 gb card.

I ordered another 4gb card and i will let yall know whats up in a few days...
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    well i figured out the problem. i had to format the memory card on my pc. formatting it on the treo itself didnt do it. i did the format with the fat32 and now the damn thing works like a charm. I made it a blockbuster night. Renting movies and using the pocketdvd studio... no problems at all now!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by RStall
    well i figured out the problem. i had to format the memory card on my pc. formatting it on the treo itself didnt do it. i did the format with the fat32 and now the damn thing works like a charm. I made it a blockbuster night. Renting movies and using the pocketdvd studio... no problems at all now!!!!!
    That's great! Thanks for the additional info.
    I've lost my card, once, since doing just that (formatting in PC). CradleCare brought it back. No issues since, but I don't believe the problem has disappeared--it's just not resurfaced, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RStall
    For me it seems like if I add one more thing to my Treo, this happens consistantly.. But as it is, sometimes I have to reset twice to get the card to show up. I'm going to try CradleCare and see what happens. I have a 650, btw.

EDIT: Cool! I re-added YAHM and FontSmoother to try it out, which just like some other program I tried last week "knocked out" my SD card. Set CradleCare to Alert with No Sound, and Attempt to Remount, and it seems to be fine now!

Jeff, should one have to set 'Alert' for it to do the re-mount? It didn't seem to do it without it.
    Last edited by khaytsus; 08/17/2006 at 10:45 PM.
    I use a 4GB PQI card with my 700p and have had no issues since I installed CradleCare after reading about it earlier in this thread. Sometimes the card does disappear, but going to another program effectively refreshes the view and shows the card. Slightly annoying, but far better than it used to be. Thanks Jeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by otterman
    I use a 4GB PQI card with my 700p and have had no issues since I installed CradleCare after reading about it earlier in this thread. Sometimes the card does disappear, but going to another program effectively refreshes the view and shows the card. Slightly annoying, but far better than it used to be. Thanks Jeff!
    I bought that PQI 4 Gig card. I wonder if everyone that has it is having (disappearing) issues with it as the Transcend 4 Gig I have hasn't disappeard at all.