Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I am using Zlauncher and I have a problem where the SD card is not seen after a reset. I don't remember it disappearing while I am doing anything specific other than resetting the device to change the battery or on a crash.

Art
  2.    #22  
    I too am using zLauncher, but I had the same issue with zLauncher not on the Treo.

I have been able to get everything working ok. The only way I lose the SD card is if I have a software reset (rare). If that happens, I turn off Ludusp, stop intellisync, versamail, and quicknews from autosyncing, and reset. Once the Treo comes back it recognizes the SD card again. Then I can turn all the autosyncs back on.

I assume this is triggering something in saved preferences (that has nothing to do with the apps) but it seems to address my problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by awerry
    I am using Zlauncher and I have a problem where the SD card is not seen after a reset. I don't remember it disappearing while I am doing anything specific other than resetting the device to change the battery or on a crash.

Art
    It sounds like you and I have the same problem. I did a hard reset and reinstalled ClipPro, Cuckoo Clock and Graffiti Anywhere before anything else. Although they're not the cause, if they're on my Treo the card disappears (they were on my 650 with only occassional problems); other apps have done this in the past. I followed that with Unsaved, then Saved Preferences. So far so good.

I then went through my backup restoring each letter of the alphabet separately, followed by a reset. Before reinstalling ZLauncher I backed up the Treo again and used it for awhile with everything working fine. Then I installed a new Zlauncher.prc file - no preferences or associated files. Guess what? My SD card disappeared on reset. Removing it didn't fix the problem so I did another hard reset, restored the last backup and everything worked fine again.

Now to find another launcher....
    Quote Originally Posted by quagsire
    I too am using zLauncher, but I had the same issue with zLauncher not on the Treo.

I have been able to get everything working ok. The only way I lose the SD card is if I have a software reset (rare). If that happens, I turn off Ludusp, stop intellisync, versamail, and quicknews from autosyncing, and reset. Once the Treo comes back it recognizes the SD card again. Then I can turn all the autosyncs back on.

I assume this is triggering something in saved preferences (that has nothing to do with the apps) but it seems to address my problem.
    It may still be a ZLauncher problem, although I've never had a problem on my previous devices.

I've had the card disappear on my Treo after a software reset as well. I tried your suggestion about disabling autosync in Versamail (the only one of those three I have), but it still occurred. Usually I just reset again manually and the card comes back. When it doesn't I know there's a software or preference conflict somewhere. My experiment of removing saved preferences one by one was extremely tedious and I didn't find the problem until Monday's incremental restore, minus ZLauncher.

Not sure I want to switch launchers because ZL does everything I need it to and I've become used to and spoiled by its features, but I don't want to keep randomly losing apps either.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    Are you running ZLauncher? If so see previous post by me regarding this issue. It was corrected with the newest iteration of ZLauncher. I agree that it most likely is a software conflict.
    Oops! That'll teach me for not re-reading earlier posts.
    Don't have my Treo yet so I can't say I have first hand experience with this... but I used to own one of the original Dell Axims and remember there were some similar issues with it. What it boiled down to is that not all SD cards are created equal... and in that situation SanDisk cards were acting up in the Axims while cards from Lexar and some other vendors seemed stable. Back then it was being caused by some sort of a timing issue between Axim's SD controller and SanDisk cards....

Anyway, my point is... if this is happening on newly reset Treo's too. Then it would seem that it isn't purely a software conflict.. maybe there's a pattern here as to what brands of SD card this is happening with.
    Title of this thread makes me giggle...

(Sorry to interrupt)
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    I have been having the same problem. Not running zlauncher. Launcherx here. Before using it, however, the card would mysteriously "unmount". I would hear the tones and the card would not be recognized.

I would have to take the card out and reinsert for it to be recognized. It still happens while running lx, but not as much.

I was running express on auto update, but have turned it off. Only other background program is wireless sync by vzw.
    Visit My Blog

My website -- EsquireTech Solutions
    I bought a 2 gb card on ebay and my 700p would give the notification tone when the card was inserted. As soon as I even accessed any program that was capable of accessing a file on the sd card....the removal tone would sound on my 700p, as if the card had been removed....which it had not. The cardreader on my pc would not detect the card either though.....so I dont know. My 1 GB and 512 MB cards work everytime...without exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by quagsire
    Ok, new weird twist. I went in and disabled auto update on VersaMail, QuickNews, OnDemand, and my Intellisync Client. I rebooted and now it sees the card.
    I've been getting this problem the last couple of days too. I backed up and formatted on my Treo 700 my 2GB SD card. Reinstalled SD from PC. No help.

I tried another SD. No help.

I believe it's a software problem. This seems to be reinforced by the fact when I do a "warm reset" (reboot with 5-way held up) the card is recognized.

I'm using the latest Zlauncher. v5.42b3. This doesn't seem to be the culprit.

I have turned off LupusP, and autoupdates on On Demand and QuickNews.

After a reset, it seems to work.

But this seems to be superstition. I haven't pinned down who the culprit is.

Regards,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
  11.    #31  
    Update on my situation.

I installed uncache (Link) and set it up so that only the apps that need to be notified of reboot are. Now whenever I reset- my card is recognized. Again, without digging too deeply it seems like with less to load the card is recognized.

FWIW YMMV
    I too have installed UnCache (and played with Rlock as well).

Additionally, I've installed CradleCare from the GoTreoSoftware, the people who've brought us ProfileCare and VolumeCare. Mr. Gibson is a very responsive developer.

CradleCare has two features: "Attempt Card Re-Mount" which didn't seem to do it, but "Soft Rest to Recover Card" (I think it means Soft ResEt). That seemed to do it.

I'll try disabling CradleCare and see if UnCache alone does the trick for me.

Thanks everyone for the help on this.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I'm wondering if it's related to the card itself. When I first got a card for my Treo, it didn't work. (A Lexar branded card.) Nothing I did would make it show up, ever.

I exchanged it for a Sandisk ultra card and i've not had to touch it at all, worked great in my 650 as well as my new 700p.

Cheap SD cards are cheap for a reason...
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I just bought a PQI 150x 4gb card at fry's for $99, I am also having the issue of the card disappearing randomly. It will not register until I reset the Treo. So, has anybody determined if its the cards or the Treo 700p ?
    IMO, the issue is with the Treo 700 because none of these issues are present when using the same SD cards in a 650. The theory of the issue being related to cheap memory doesn't hold as I've had this issue span across cards from SanDisk, Lexar, etc.

At the very least, Palm needs to acknowledge this as an issue and certify which cards work then post such a list (if any really do work).
    Quote Originally Posted by migs
    I just bought a PQI 150x 4gb card at fry's for $99, I am also having the issue of the card disappearing randomly. It will not register until I reset the Treo. So, has anybody determined if its the cards or the Treo 700p ?
    I also bought the same card, but I've had this problem with other cards as well - every one in fact, about 6 total from various makers. I took BillPetro's advice and tried Cradle Care and have not had the problem since. I reinstalled all of the apps that displayed the problem and they all work fine and the card is recognized (Thanks for the heads-up Bill).
    I talked to a customer this week that had a similar problem. BTmute was causing this problem in their 700P! After removing BTmute, their SD card was 100% stable.

So please: DO NOT USE BTMUTE ON TREO 700P's. I designed this application only for Treo 650's!!!

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I talked to a customer this week that had a similar problem. BTmute was causing this problem in their 700P! After removing BTmute, their SD card was 100% stable.

So please: DO NOT USE BTMUTE ON TREO 700P's. I designed this application only for Treo 650's!!!

Jeff
    What Jeff said. This may account for some of the problem but I noticed it even without BTMute. Do you have any other thoughts Jeff??

Regards,

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson

Jeff

Yeah... not so fast, Jeff. I don't use BTmute and I am still having this problem. For the record, I have thought I had tracked down the problem to at least different three programs. I would take a program off and the problem would disappear... put the program back on, the problem would come back. Repeat. Just when I was absolutely sure I had found the culprit, the problem would come back without said program being installed. I took another program off yesterday and sure enough, my card started working fine... through about 3 or 4 resets and then the problem returned.

It is the weirdest thing I have seen yet on a Palm device.
    Quote Originally Posted by awerry
    Yeah... not so fast, Jeff. I don't use BTmute and I am still having this problem. For the record, I have thought I had tracked down the problem to at least different three programs. I would take a program off and the problem would disappear... put the program back on, the problem would come back. Repeat. Just when I was absolutely sure I had found the culprit, the problem would come back without said program being installed. I took another program off yesterday and sure enough, my card started working fine... through about 3 or 4 resets and then the problem returned.

It is the weirdest thing I have seen yet on a Palm device.
    I was not saying that BTmute was the only applicaiton causing this problem but I know for a fact that it does cause this problem on the Treo 700P.

I believe but am not positive, that the reason BTmute caused this problem was due to the way it was using the phone library. If this is true, any application that does not completely comply 100% with the Palm API has the potential to cause this problem. Again, I am not prooven this assumption yet but this may be an area for all to look into.

Jeff
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast