Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, I'm looking at gettting a BT GPS for my 650.
    It seems like the TomTom Nav. 5 bundle is popular.
    But I see Garmin is coming out with a new Palm BT GPS set-up in July. (The Mobile 20, No price yet).
    And of course, I could just buy a seperate GPS unit and not use my Treo at all.
    I am curious to those who own a TomTom or Garmin BT GPS with their Treos:
    How easy to set up?
    How easy to use?
    Is the Treo's screen size a problem?
    Where do you put the GPS? On top of the car, on the dashboard?
    There is a lot of info out there and some of it is confusing.
    Such as, there are 2 kinds of TomTom (the TomTom Navigator 5 Bundle and TomTom 5 + Bluetooth GPS.)
    What's the difference, besides the price?
    And what about the Palm GPS Navigator?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    I'm using Telenav (it works on the 700p). You get a free BT GPS with a 6 month sign up ($60). So I'm using them for my 6 months, then i'll get Tomtom software!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    I have TomTom and a Globalstat 338. Setup was fairly easy, changing routes on the fly is simple. I bought the Navigator product and a seperate GPS since the one that came bundled used older technology. I place the GPS in my glove compartment - it can operate fine out-of-sight.
    I have a Treo 650 with TomTom 5 installed using an OnCourse GPS (rebadged Globalstat 338..no difference except the shell) - very good! Bought it at buygpsnow(dot)com...they include a free mount as well.

How easy to set up?
    Easy I think, pairing it with the treo was quick and simple.

How easy to use?
    I usually turn the gps on..wait about 30 seconds, launch TomTom and 95% of the times it's good to go. If it didn't find the gps, i usually exit tomtom, and go back in after twenty seconds - I think you have to wait for the gps to get a fix before it starts communciating to the treo.

Is the Treo's screen size a problem?
    Not really..I have the gps on the dashboard (in the corner left though it can communicate up to about 15 feet easily) - the gps has two rubber slips underneath so it doesn't slip easily at all, the treo is mounted to the a/c grills...the voice from tomtom usually does the trick. TomTom zooms into the map whenever a turn must be made so it's pretty clear what you have to do.

TomTom Navigator 5 Bundle is just the software.

TomTom 5 + Bluetooth GPS is the software above plus whatever gps they mention it comes with...this is good if the gps included is what you want and combining it save you money than buying it seperately.

And what about the Palm GPS Navigator?
    Not too familair with it, but it probably uses older gps technology. Do some research, you'll quickly find the Globalstat 338 (or the rebadged OnCourse 339) uses the latest gps tech: SiRF Star III chip and including waas technology which helps improve your position.

I quickly showed this off to a friend who has a treo 650 and in two weeks, he bought his own!

Reason for buying the OnCourse over the Globalstat? Only because i think it looks sleeker than the Globalstat 338 ...it's the same othewise..notice both gps uses the same model numbering..BT-338 and BT-339 and offers it in black or silver. OnCourse is a competitor software to TomTom and wanted their own GPS so they contacted Globalstat to redesign the shell so they can print their name on it. I heard good things about the OnCourse sofware but never seen it or tried it myself.
    Last edited by opacityzero; 06/02/2006 at 10:07 AM.
    I've got TomTom 5 w/ bt and I love it. It was easy enough to install following the directions posted here and it's worked great since.
    I have the Tomtom Nav5 with their BT GPS receiver. Just finished a 2 week trip back east and it worked well. I used a gooseneck suction mount in the rental car and had the Treo at dash level to the right of the steering wheel. In this location, I could actually touch the screen to add waypoints without removing my hand from the wheel. The Treo screen size works fine with the 3D map display. I just put the GPS receiver in a compartment under the dash. No problems with reception.
  7.    #7  
    Appreciate all of the quick replys.
    Does anyone think this new Garmin is worth waiting for?
    http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/030806a.html
    It looks interesting - the intergrated speakerphone which is nice to have when you're not using the gps. The Sirf (3?) chipset and waas

Personally though, I'd rather have a bluetooth gps unit that's not built into a car mount for several reasons - unless it can be seperated??

Can't comment on Garmin's gps software.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Has any one tried the DeLorme blue tooth and street software for palm?
    Thanks
    Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    Does anyone think this new Garmin is worth waiting for?
    Looks like it would be similar to a Tomtom unit with a Seidio car kit. Some folks really like Garmin units but Tomtom seems to get the most votes when it comes to running on Palm OS. Maybe this model will change that. Hard to tell from just the writeup. Have you searched for Garmin on this site? I remember several posts where Garmin advocates chimed in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair
    Has any one tried the DeLorme blue tooth and street software for palm?
    Thanks
    Terry
    I have tried the Steet Atlas 2005 and it was basically worthless IMHO. I could set the route on my PC and then move it over to the SD card and that seemed to work okay. But, if I needed to alter a route or choose a different route on the Treo, it would literally take over an hour to process the new route. It was the same if I wanted to simply select a route to another address. That address may only be 30 miles away. It would also not do a good job recalculating a route if you made a wrong turn or something. By the time it recalculated, you may be a hundred miles away.

I have not tried the 2006 version. Their website says that the calculating time it greatly enhance. But, it would have to be enhanced by 1000% to be any good. I still use the Blue Logger GPS and it works excellent with TomTom. Plus, the Blue Logger stores data within itself and I can import that onto a Street Atlas map and show anywhere the vehicle traveled and at what time and how fast it was travelling.
    Well, I just ordered Street Atlas '06 for Palm tonight so I guess we'll see how it works now. I've used DeLorme on my laptop since '04 with good luck and was hoping for the same on the 650.

I bought a GPS called the Holux GR 236 Bluetooth GPS Receiver SiRF III, low power consumption and supposedly fast.

Fortunately, the SA '06 is only 40 bucks so if it's useless it isn't a huge loss but it is amazing how much I'm spending on toys for my damn phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardCarver
    Well, I just ordered Street Atlas '06 for Palm tonight so I guess we'll see how it works now. I've used DeLorme on my laptop since '04 with good luck and was hoping for the same on the 650.

I bought a GPS called the Holux GR 236 Bluetooth GPS Receiver SiRF III, low power consumption and supposedly fast.

Fortunately, the SA '06 is only 40 bucks so if it's useless it isn't a huge loss but it is amazing how much I'm spending on toys for my damn phone.
    I would be very interested in your review after you get the '06 version. I only had the '05 version and I would really like to know if they did indeed fix the calculating problem as they stated.
    There is also Garmin GPS 10 with Palm Que software. Maps are better then Tomtom, although software doesn't have quite as many features.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    There is also Garmin GPS 10 with Palm Que software. Maps are better then Tomtom, although software doesn't have quite as many features.
    I'm wondering if this the way to go instead of waiting for the new 20 to come out.
    It's either going to be this or the TT5, I just want an easy out-of-the-box GPS for my 650.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I think the biggest problem with any gps software for the palm is size, I have signed up for the promo deal from Telenav, I should be getting my recever in a couple of days, I thought I would also try the reciever with the earthcomber maps just to see if it could find me, I do like the idea of haveing a good set up for finding my way on the roads, but I also have a concern about being out and about away from any kind of server access, if the gps unit works with Earthcomber I think that might be the way for me to go, use Telenav on the road and have those earthcomber maps for when I need them, I looked at the mapopolis web site and their downloadable maps are very similar to earthcomber.
    anyway my .02
    Terry
    I have Mapopolis on Treo 650 with i.Trek M3 BT GPS and love it. The only thing I don't like (and it is a serious drawback) is that you can't use the phone functionality while you are using the GPS. PalmOS, essntially being a single tasking OS (except for being able to Play music). there is not much you can do. May be things are different on Treo 700w.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    I can receive phone calls all the time while in mapopolis or TT5. Pretty sure it would do it in mapopolis too.

Can make the T650 a bit unhappy if it's low on dbcache, but it will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz
    I can receive phone calls all the time while in mapopolis or TT5. Pretty sure it would do it in mapopolis too.

Can make the T650 a bit unhappy if it's low on dbcache, but it will work.
    I stand corrected. I can receive calls, but I can't make outgoing calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I would be very interested in your review after you get the '06 version. I only had the '05 version and I would really like to know if they did indeed fix the calculating problem as they stated.

After reading review all over the internet I cancelled the order. I just posted a review of Earthcomber and a Holux GPSlim236 BT module in the accessory forum (should have posted it here, maybe someone will move it )
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast