Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Now, I'm leaning towards a stand-alone GPS and leaving the Treo out of the mix.
    Bigger screen, easier set up, not fiddling with the phone to take a call, etc.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardCarver
    After reading review all over the internet I cancelled the order. I just posted a review of Earthcomber and a Holux GPSlim236 BT module in the accessory forum (should have posted it here, maybe someone will move it )
    Well darn it I was kind of looking forward to the review of the DeLorme software.
    I just recieved my Televan GPS unit it works great just like they said, once it has my position locked I can throw it in the glove box, or in my pocket! One problem I have with the telenav program, to day I am traveling to an out of the way spot I already know how to get there but wanted to try out the Telenav system, so I went to my Street atlas program on the lap top got the exact address/location of where I am heading and it could not find it, I tried every possible combination I could think of for the address, I have e mailed them to see what they say.
    The GPS unit does work with earthcomber, I just wish there was a way to make it track my travel.
    Also read your review in accessory thanks
    Terry
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    Now, I'm leaning towards a stand-alone GPS and leaving the Treo out of the mix.
    Bigger screen, easier set up, not fiddling with the phone to take a call, etc.
    I have a stand alone GPS unit, paid around $500 for it, called them up about 6 months ago (Eagle/Lowrance) to see if they had a USB kit because my cable for dowloading maps is serial, and to get the updated maps and was told they no longer supported that device, $500 and basiclily usless today.
    I also have the GPS software in my laptop and in my opinion using the laptop for just driving is the absolute one and only GPS system, but hard to take the laptop on a hike. I do like Telenav, but it has some bugs and I am looking at Earthcomber which I do like, you can add points that it will remember and it will down load turn by turn directions to where you are going but will not (at least as far as I can see) add them to the map.
    Terry
  4.    #24  
    I'm leaning towards the Garmin StreetPilot i5 Automotive GPS Navigator.
    Anyone have it?
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs
    I'm leaning towards the Garmin StreetPilot i5 Automotive GPS Navigator. Anyone have it?
    If you haven't already, check out GPSpassion.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    If you haven't already, check out GPSpassion.
    Thanks, I have seen that site. Some good stuff there.
  7.    #27  
    Ordered the Garmin StreetPilot C320.
    In the end, the price wasn't too much more than if I had ordered a BT setup for the 650 and I don't have to worry about fooling with answering the phone.
    Thanks for your opinions.
    Hi, everyone!

I'm about to get a Treo 650 and I'm all excited!

O f course I want a BT headset and BT headphones and BT GPS and, oh EVERYTHING! Bwahahahah!

Ahem

anyway can anyone here tell me where I can get a BT GPS reciever that can also be connected to my 650 with a cord? See there are times, like in the car, when I'd like to be able to use the BT headset and plug the GPS unit into the 650. I like the idea of having the option to use either BT or a cable.

Oh, I'd like a set of stereo headphones that work that way too if you know of any...

Thanks!
    My 1st cent is don't be all fired up for a BT GPS solution:

1. You can't use a BT headset while using BT GPS ..."pick one or da udder".

2. Too much stuff to carry car to car.

While I thot I would like the freedom to say throw the GPS receiver on my bike helmet and carry the Treo on my person, there isn't really good software for trail riding or walking. For in the car usage BT has no real advantage.

To my mind if you gonna use Treo as GPS, then a crdale is just about mandatory..so what if the BT receiver batteries last 19 hours if your Treo lasts 4-5....da Treo eitehr dies half way into a long trip or is just about dead by the time you do the NY->DC run.

If ya gotta have the cradle, then why not just put the receiver IN the cradle and forget about batteries, extra things to carry and extra things to charge.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Not nessisarily, the other day I had mine out boating, I just got the unit so stupid me, when I got to the place I was going to boat I left the treo and gps unit in the car, it turns out the boat ramp was way primitive, every thing overgrowen had a devil of a time finding that ramp again (first time at that lake) had I just used earthcomber to put in a point at the car then used the Telenave GPS in the boat I could have found the parking place much easier, a cradle in the car would have been just as usful as it was to leave every thing in the car (like I did) stupid stupid, wont do that again
    Terry
    If the cradle comes with you from car to car, why not from car to boat ? Every boat I have been in (that wasn't paddle / oar droiven) has had a 12v power source. When I leave the car, I yank the power cord from the ciggie lighter, grab the cradle (which hlds receiver and Treo) and go....get in boat, use suction cup mount and plug into boat's power source.

With the BT and no cradle......grab Treo, grab the receiver, grab the cables (extra receiver batteries) and hope you get back before the Treo battery dies.

Not that I wouldn't mind having the GPS on canoe trips.....but again software for anything but street maps is severely lacking on the Treo.
    A cradle is a necessity in your own car and for long trips, but there have been numerous occasions when I grabbed the treo and BT GPS receiver and hopped into a friends/spouse's car and used it to navigate. To do this with a wired receiver is too much of a pain.
    Just to clarify, we talkin about a receiver "built in" to the cradle, not "wired".

The answer is probably gonna be a matter of personal taste, but ....What's more painful ?

1. Grabbing three things (the Treo, spare receiver batteries, and BT receiver), and losing ya BT headset functionality...or

2. Grabbing one thing (cradle w/ Treo in it), being able to use BT headset and arriving at destination with 100% battery life.

I have a proclip mount in my car and keep the windhsield mount in a second car. If ya gonna add the mount, then the amount of things ya gotta grab increases by one in both instances.

I'd like to have both options but I find option 1 more effort and inconvenience 95% of the time. If someone comes up with decent trail software and a decent bike mount, I'll add a BT receiver to my arsenal but the cradle will still get 90+ % of my usage.

Once you use a cradle in a vehicle, GPS or no, it's very hard to go back. Having that screen accessible and viewable while driving is very advantageous....I can see who is calling before answering, I can answer calls without taking a hand off wheel, I can voice activate web sites and view ferry schedules and the like...things I never really noticed until I was in a car w/o a cradle. I don't need the GPS very often but I do use the cradle every time I am in vehicle.
    Cradle with builtin GPS is better, but the way my car kit (Seidio) is mounted - with microphone wire going back to the visor, removing the car kit to a second car is painful. Your solution seems more flexible. I usally don't need the extra battery when in someone's car, because I do this only for short trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrd
    Cradle with builtin GPS is better, but the way my car kit (Seidio) is mounted - with microphone wire going back to the visor, removing the car kit to a second car is painful.
    Ouch.....I use mine one of two ways:

1. BT Headset
    2. Speakerphone

But with Treo mounted at 3:00 position just to the right of sterring wheel this works great......if using windshield mount, speakerphoen usage might be compromised.

Your solution seems more flexible. I usally don't need the extra battery when in someone's car, because I do this only for short trips.
    You don't have my luck.....my batteries always die 10 minutes after the device is in a location where there's no spare batteries.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    If the cradle comes with you from car to car, why not from car to boat ? Every boat I have been in (that wasn't paddle / oar droiven) has had a 12v power source. When I leave the car, I yank the power cord from the ciggie lighter, grab the cradle (which hlds receiver and Treo) and go....get in boat, use suction cup mount and plug into boat's power source.

With the BT and no cradle......grab Treo, grab the receiver, grab the cables (extra receiver batteries) and hope you get back before the Treo battery dies.

Not that I wouldn't mind having the GPS on canoe trips.....but again software for anything but street maps is severely lacking on the Treo.
    See you just havnt seen my boat or the weather I boat in for me it is much easier to set the location that I need to return to then turn off the phone/gps reciever and put them in a dry bag, for the most part I only need a GPS when in the boat or on the trail to either find a location in the dark, or return to a location that I am not familier with in the day light, for me a cradle would get in the way.
    As said earlier it all depends on how you use the device.
    Terry
    Well my last boat was a Hydrastream....300HP on 400 pound boat that sat inches above the water when still. I'd plug the bugger in and throw it in the glove compartment...at 80+ mph on the Great South Bay, no way ya gonne be reading any screen while moving.

Now I rent...pleasure boats, most often on bodies of what I am only somewhat familiar with....unfortunately, it only ha two uses.....finding that restaurant at the end of whatver street and finding my way thru the channels at night when I can't see the landmarks.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have a 650.

Started with Telenav, but did not want GPS tied to phone signal.

Went with TomTom and iBlue GPS. The iBlue is awful, awful, awful. It once took me 30 minutes to connect it with the phone, and by then I was at my destination.

http://www.semsons.com/ihiseblgpsre.html

Exchanged it, and got a BT338
    http://www.semsons.com/tona20usawig.html

I got it today. It honestly took me longer to open the box than set it up. My phone connects instantly, and right now, I am pulling in five satellites. From the basement of my house. In the mountains. On a cloudy night. Really.

My only complaint is that there are eight subdivisions in my little town that are not in their maps. Granted, some are very new, but the 10 year old ones don't show up either.

TomTom is promising an upgrade this summer, but I hate to pay for an upgrade when I just bought the software. I just hope I can see if it improves my situation before I pay for it.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I have been trying out the Mapopolis software, actualy I just bought it after trying it out, I like the program, it works for me, as far as updated maps and roads on Mapopolis around my home in Midway, Ut. they have the second latest subdivision on the map, it is just about a year old (the subdivision) it does not have the one just completed, but today I am in Beaver, Ut. (dont laugh it is a real place) and Mapopolis doesnt have the street that our hotel is on in the map, but this is in the south desert and wyle on I-15 still out of the way, I read that places like this dont get updated nearly as often as growing towns, I believe most map builders get their information from the USGS.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Well my last boat was a Hydrastream....300HP on 400 pound boat that sat inches above the water when still. I'd plug the bugger in and throw it in the glove compartment...at 80+ mph on the Great South Bay, no way ya gonne be reading any screen while moving.

Now I rent...pleasure boats, most often on bodies of what I am only somewhat familiar with....unfortunately, it only ha two uses.....finding that restaurant at the end of whatver street and finding my way thru the channels at night when I can't see the landmarks.
    My current boat is a 16 foot duck boat with a goDevil on it, and mostly lives its life in the swamp and marsh in bad, bad weather.
    Terry
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast