Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well a local store finally got the Sprint 700p tonight so I stopped in with the intention of likely buying one. The thing was strapped down so tight that none of the buttons worked on it but I waited for the two clerks to finally finishing flirting with some teenager buying a $50 phone for 20 minutes. I then go into the steps to get one but ran into the clueless salesman problem:

1.) Insisted that to get PAM you had to buy BOTH the $15 data plan and the $40 PAM plan. Otherwise he said you could get data on the laptop but not the phone. I insisted this must be wrong and didn't make any sense. He finally goes out back for 15 minutes to talk with his manager and comes back and says that "well it should work with only the PAM plan but we're not responsible if it doesn't".
    2.) Phone price is $499 with 2 contract and data plan. I said you can get from $399 from both sprint.com and palm.com. Won't move, it's $499 or no sale.

Finally I give up with this ***** and say thanks, but I'll have to think about it. For a closing act he then offers to run a credit check "We should check to see if you could get authorized for this phone". I guess the new black BMW outside door must have a been a clue I couldn't afford it?

Anyway, I came home phoneless. Seriously, these people really don't seem like they care about selling anything. Sorry for the rant but I just couldn't believe this guy.

On a more constructive note, what have people been getting for a price at a store for the 700p with new service. If you can't get it for less than $499, Sprint is in for some problems. The Motorola Q is calling to me for $199. I may go for it at that price.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Why not just order online for $399? I'll never go to a Sprint store for anything if I can avoid it. Its like trying to get good help at Best Buy, next to impossible.
  3.    #3  
    Good point. But I'm concerned about the coverage. That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of switching from T-Mobile. Seems like it would be alot easier returning it to a store if the coverage isn't good than trying to return it from a web purchase.
    if you're not a current sprint customer you can score some pretty good deals. you should check out the OTI deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I guess the new black BMW outside door must have a been a clue I couldn't afford it?

The Motorola Q is calling to me for $199. I may go for it at that price.
    If he was flirting, doubt if he noticed your black BMW. Get a RR, then you might get noticed....

check out the Q... not on par with the treo, unless you only want email. It looks like the T700... but no touch-screen, can't edit documents, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo
    if you're not a current sprint customer you can score some pretty good deals. you should check out the OTI deal.
    Better yet, check out the sprintnetwork deal on ebay.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Well a local store finally got the Sprint 700p tonight so I stopped in with the intention of likely buying one. The thing was strapped down so tight that none of the buttons worked on it but I waited for the two clerks to finally finishing flirting with some teenager buying a $50 phone for 20 minutes. I then go into the steps to get one but ran into the clueless salesman problem:

1.) Insisted that to get PAM you had to buy BOTH the $15 data plan and the $40 PAM plan. Otherwise he said you could get data on the laptop but not the phone. I insisted this must be wrong and didn't make any sense. He finally goes out back for 15 minutes to talk with his manager and comes back and says that "well it should work with only the PAM plan but we're not responsible if it doesn't".
    2.) Phone price is $499 with 2 contract and data plan. I said you can get from $399 from both sprint.com and palm.com. Won't move, it's $499 or no sale.

Finally I give up with this ***** and say thanks, but I'll have to think about it. For a closing act he then offers to run a credit check "We should check to see if you could get authorized for this phone". I guess the new black BMW outside door must have a been a clue I couldn't afford it?

Anyway, I came home phoneless. Seriously, these people really don't seem like they care about selling anything. Sorry for the rant but I just couldn't believe this guy.

On a more constructive note, what have people been getting for a price at a store for the 700p with new service. If you can't get it for less than $499, Sprint is in for some problems. The Motorola Q is calling to me for $199. I may go for it at that price.
    Everybody knows that 98% of Sprint Store employees are idiots. Let that be an example for ya'.
    IT'S NOT A DAMN BLACKBERRY!....
    With a 2 year contract you shouldn't pay more than 199. We just got two for $100/each. But I think they may have made a mistake and intenede to charge us 199/each. This was NOT at a store where I had a similar experience to the one you described. This was with Sprint retention. We also got a great plan.
    I didn't even get that far at the sprint store. I walked in, asked if they had the new treo 700 in stock, and was told no. As I walked away the guy said "wait, are you already a sprint customer?" which I was so he says "oh, ok nevermind we don't have any." I go "excuse me?" at which point he explains that they got a few in but were given specific orders only to sell them to new customers, and that my best bet would be to order online. A few unhappy phone calls later to sprint I ended up with a 700 from retentions for $450 but the whole point of going to the store so I didn't have to wait for it in the mail. Oh well, it's on a UPS truck to be delivered this afternoon.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    not that the lack of touchscreen is the end all, but why make a win mobile device that can only view docs, but not edit them. would be a homerun if it could. plus it has a mini usb port so you're not stuck with something proprietary. thoug BT circumvents that a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by theog
    If he was flirting, doubt if he noticed your black BMW. Get a RR, then you might get noticed....

check out the Q... not on par with the treo, unless you only want email. It looks like the T700... but no touch-screen, can't edit documents, etc.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by djraw
    Everybody knows that 98% of Sprint Store employees are idiots. Let that be an example for ya'.
    I would not stretch it that way. Many of the kids in entry level jobs at ALL carrier stores are just that -- KIDS. Treo fanatics are what percent of their walk in traffic? 5%? 3%? 1%?

Their training has been, first, geared towards the general population and the phone minute plans they offer. We happen to have owned Treos and know them inside out and backwards. We know more than they do on this topic. I know more about my Treo than my Sprint store manager. Is he an *****? No. He is a very nice gentleman and very willing to help me -- but he has not spent 24/7 for the last 16 months with a Treo 650 and 10 years with Palm OS devices.

Let's give all front line people a break -- they are not idiots -- they are our sons and daughters trying to work a job. Just because they have not spent their life on this forum does not make them idiots.

Cheers, Perry.

wow. sounds like you got someone very retarded.
    same thing happened to me with sprint in reference to if your a new customer we have the new treo....at the time it was the treo 650.....that's when I know I was going to verizon
    Perry,
    you are correct with everything you said! I happen to work at a Radio Shack Kiosk in Sam's Club and the girls that work with me don't know very much about phones period. I just happen to be the phone guru in Amarillo, in fact, most of the Cingular & Sprint stores in Amarillo call me at the Kiosk asking question because THEY don't know the answers. I make it my job however, to know everything about anything.

But.....!!! The people that the original poster here dealt with at the Sprint store are idiots not because they knew nothing about the Treos but because they couldn't give him correct pricing or at least competitive pricing on the handset.
    There is no reason why the CSR has to go in the back for 15 minutes to talk with the manager. They should know the pricing!! They should also be fairly knowledgable of their equipment.
    Even at my lowly Kiosk I have to take training courses a week prior to any new handset we will be selling.

But yes, most of these people are teenagers and would rather talk on their phones at work rather than sell them. So they are not idiots as you say, they just don't really care, because these stores are just stepping stones in their careers and would just as soon work at a Home Depot as a Sprint store.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I would not stretch it that way. Many of the kids in entry level jobs at ALL carrier stores are just that -- KIDS. Treo fanatics are what percent of their walk in traffic? 5%? 3%? 1%?

Their training has been, first, geared towards the general population and the phone minute plans they offer. We happen to have owned Treos and know them inside out and backwards. We know more than they do on this topic. I know more about my Treo than my Sprint store manager. Is he an *****? No. He is a very nice gentleman and very willing to help me -- but he has not spent 24/7 for the last 16 months with a Treo 650 and 10 years with Palm OS devices.

Let's give all front line people a break -- they are not idiots -- they are our sons and daughters trying to work a job. Just because they have not spent their life on this forum does not make them idiots.

Cheers, Perry.
    I would tend to agree with Perry. It seems like a lot of the people on this board overreact to not getting exactly what they want. In most of my dealings with Sprint, I have had good CSRs. 98% are idiots is quite the exaggeration. I would say Sprint reps are no better or worse than most reps at other companies. Relax, guys.
  16.    #16  
    Yes, my issue was that he didn't know the pricing. Rather, he insisted that multiple packages needed to be bought when they didn't. I would have been perfectly fine if he said he didn't know and had to check.

FYI, the person I actually dealt with wasn't a teenager, probably mid-20's. Him and a teenager employee were busy selling a cheap phone to a teenager customer while I was waiting (apparently it takes two employees to make a sale).

To end the saga, even with correct pricing, once you add in PAM there isn't much difference in pricing between Sprint and Verizon (much bigger difference without PAM). So I stopped by a Verizon store today and got for the correct price. I'm just waiting for it to be activated before I start playing with it.
    I had some problems when I bought mine from Sprint last Sunday. First the guy said they couldn't sell them until Tuesday. I told him I'll just buy it online then; at that point they decided to sell it to me. Then they tried charging me $499. I told them no way and that it was $429 online. He then scanned another bar code on the box and it rang up for $399. So I ended up getting it for $399 and they did not try to force me to sign up for PAM plan. However, they did force me to sign up for the $25 data plan, but I just when home and called and changed it to the $15 one. I do agree the sales people are idiots. From the first time I talked to a sales person to when I left the store was over an hour, which is just ridiculous.
    how do you know they weren't retarded to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky
    wow. sounds like you got someone very retarded.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula
    I didn't even get that far at the sprint store. I walked in, asked if they had the new treo 700 in stock, and was told no. As I walked away the guy said "wait, are you already a sprint customer?" which I was so he says "oh, ok nevermind we don't have any." I go "excuse me?" at which point he explains that they got a few in but were given specific orders only to sell them to new customers, and that my best bet would be to order online. A few unhappy phone calls later to sprint I ended up with a 700 from retentions for $450 but the whole point of going to the store so I didn't have to wait for it in the mail. Oh well, it's on a UPS truck to be delivered this afternoon.
    did you read any previous threads? $450 from retentions? are you out of contract? it sounds so from your previous post. if you are out of conract the highest price people are getting from retentions is sellingthe treo 700 for is $400, free shipping no activation fee.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Iím sorry if I sound rude, but I think the whole thing fell apart because of the way you handled things.
    I once worked at best buy and I absolutely hated those stuck up Mr. more credit cards in their wallets than my teeth. They always just seem self centered and require that every employee notices them.
    Let's face it, Sprint or Best Buy wish that were true, but not everyone can get that kind of attention.
    Yes it's true if they were flirting with a girl and not paying attention to you. I remember I used to do stuff like that.
    Guess what? Those times of flirting actually made my day better. They took off some of that pressure that those "mr. notice me I'm here and I know more than you" put on me.
    Does that mean I was bad at doing my job or an absolute *****? No...I donít think so.
    You have to be cool about the whole situation. Had you been nice to the sales rep. I think he would've done his best to help you. Or at least go another rep to help you. Then who has two reps helping him? It was going to be you.
    You know retail wasnít much but if I learned something, It's patience and how to deal with people. Communication is everything. I agree that not all sales reps are that way, it's certainly possible to get more out of the rep that you did. Things just didnít go smoothly. Again i'm not trying to be an A.. to you but take this tip from me and you will get much better service from retail/sprint stores.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast