1.    #1  
    I did a quick search for this and didn't see it addressed in the 700p forum yet...if I missed a previous post, my apologies.

I use MergicVPN to access web content restricted to our University by IP address. This wouldn't work with Blazer on my Treo 650 unless I disabled Blazer's default proxy. I've confirmed that the same thing works for my 700p and offer up what I've done if in case it'll help anybody else.

Warning! I got this stuff long ago when the Treo 650 first came out. While I am a geek, I'm not a Sprint geek, so you might want some confirmation from the more knowledgeable folk on the forum to ensure that this is kosher before trying it. Use this info at your own risk.

1. In the phone screen, dial ##3282#

2. Click modify and enter your MSL code (you did save this when you activated your 700p, right? When you activated, they told you to type in ##, some digits (probably 6 digits), and another #. Those digits are your MSL number. If you didn't write 'em down, you'll have to call up saying that your Vision isn't working right and have them talk you through provisioning again. BTW - you enter the MSL code as a series of numbers without the #s.

You should now see the data screen with the "Unlocked" icon.

3. Press the menu key (wait! don't turn your phone off, silly! Remember, they moved the menu key to the bottom right corner) and select "Browser"

You should see "Primary NGG" and "Secondary NGG" settings.

4. Carefully write down everything on this screen so you can put it back if you want your proxy back -- and you will want the option to get it back (see side effects of flying without a proxy below).

5. After recording the default settings in a safe place, clear out both Primary NGG and Secondary NGG settings and change both "Port" settings to 0. Secure Ports stay blank.

6. Click OK and you should now be able to run Blazer without the proxy.

One notable side effect: disabling the default proxy settings will temporarily disable your SprintTV feature until your restore the proxy settings (i.e., go back through the steps above and put in the original settings for Browser Primary/Secondary NGG and ports). There may be other side effects with Sprint-related content, but I think it's safe to assume that anything that depends on the proxy will come back to life if you restore the original proxy settings.

Personally, I need to be able to browse via VPN more often than I plan to use SprintTV ... your situation may be different.

Finally, there may be a better way to do this and, if so, I'm all ears. From what I can tell, the proxy settings within the Blazer preferences just let you set another proxy and not disable the default one. I've also always been frustrated (both with the 650 and now 700p) that the "Connect VPN" menu item in Blazer just pops up an information screen referring you to Palm's website instead of actually starting up MergicVPN.
    Wow...that's pretty cool...

I was wondering, does this method also bypass the default Sprint image compression when using phone as modem? Have you tried using the tethered mode hack or PDAnet beta to see if there is any image quality difference and also if there is a qunatifiable speed difference? Thanks..

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Wow...that's pretty cool...

I was wondering, does this method also bypass the default Sprint image compression when using phone as modem? Have you tried using the tethered mode hack or PDAnet beta to see if there is any image quality difference and also if there is a qunatifiable speed difference? Thanks..
    I'm using PdaNet rather than the hack. I would guess that it would bypass Sprint's image compression altogether, but I haven't done any testing to verify.

It would be nice to have a program that could toggle these settings between default and zeroes so you could disable the built-in proxy as need (e.g., for VPN) without having to enter the MSL codes and mess with the settings.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    i did this last night, noticed slightly faster connection times to web sites. recommended for those not using the TV features.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    gfunkmagic, when using the phone as a modem it should bypass the image compression. Unless maybe you are using the official Sprint dialer which who knows maybe forces you through them. If you are using the Sprint software, have you tried looking at your proxy settings in IE to see if the Sprint software messed with them?

I have tried USB Modem with Linux on my laptop and that does not go through any proxies; images come through looking as they should.
    Also, disabling the proxies stops you from using On Demand, Sprint Downloads as well as some of the sites that come by default bookmarked in Blazer. So if you don't need to access any of Sprint's content at all and want to be able to access local networks (when using reverse DUN to a laptop) or VPNed networks then this is the way to go.

Interestingly, I've noticed that disabling the proxies can actually make browsing faster sometimes too.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    Also, disabling the proxies stops you from using On Demand, Sprint Downloads as well as some of the sites that come by default bookmarked in Blazer. So if you don't need to access any of Sprint's content at all and want to be able to access local networks (when using reverse DUN to a laptop) or VPNed networks then this is the way to go.

Interestingly, I've noticed that disabling the proxies can actually make browsing faster sometimes too.
    My free On Demand channels (News, Weather) are working fine after disabling the proxy.

And yes, it's a bit faster, since it skips the check on Sprint's servers. The download speed is about the same, but EvDO is fast enough now that the initial connection, or the 'Sending...' phase is now the bottleneck. This seems to reduce that amount of time, which is nice.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    ok... one small problem here. If you disable the sprint proxy and dont have a PAM plan, wont sprint see the data usage as PAM????
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcopperfield
    ok... one small problem here. If you disable the sprint proxy and dont have a PAM plan, wont sprint see the data usage as PAM????
    I can't say for sure. I can only offer this:

I turned off the proxy (zeroed out the NGG settings) on my Treo 650 very early on and spent over a year browsing on my phone and using PdaNet with my vision account without any problems or incurring additional charges.

It's just anecdotal evidence and Sprint likes to change the game midstream, but I think you're okay. Besides, when I'm using the VPN on my phone, I'm not doing PAM and I have to turn off the proxy to get Blazer to work with the VPN. So, I'd feel comfortable defending that with Sprint. If you turn off your proxy and start tethering, then I'd be careful for the first one or two billing cycles just to be safe.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by dcopperfield
    Good question but I don't think so. The proxies are just for HTTP traffic and not for all internet traffic. So the only thing it affects is Blazer and other apps that use the default HTTP code in the Treo. Any other app you might have that uses the internet wouldn't go through the proxy anyway. So just because you have traffic that bypasses the proxy wouldn't necessarily cause Sprint to think that anything weird was going on. If you are using FTP, VPN, SSH or other internet apps on your phone you're already bypassing the proxy. This trick just tells Blazer not to use their proxy either.
    BTW, if you are tethering the phone to a laptop then you are already bypassing the proxy. (Although if you are using Sprint's official software to tether it's possible it might use the proxy too.)
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Does anyone have their original settings? I assume these are not location based and are the same for everyone, I read this post when I was at a hotel, and after changing the settings, left the paper I wrote them down on there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas
    Does anyone have their original settings?
    My original settings:

Primary NGG: 68.28.31.33 port 80, no secure port
    Secondary NGG: 68.28.31.33 port 80, no secure port (yes, the same)
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redadz
    My original settings:

Primary NGG: 68.28.31.33 port 80, no secure port
    Secondary NGG: 68.28.31.33 port 80, no secure port (yes, the same)
    Thank you very much, those seem to be consistant with what I remember.

Thanks.