1.    #1  
    Ok, I installed my Tomtom Nav 5 on my 700p and it works fine. But I have a question: When I receive an incoming call, the entire TT app shuts down! Also, when I want to make a call or use the treo in any other way while using TT, the TT app shuts down and must be restarted and reprogrammed with my new destination

Am I missing something, or is there no way to avoid this? If so, I'm not to happy because on my WM5 PPC-6700, I could receive calls and switch to other apps and come right back to TT w/o getting shut down.

Thanks.
    no because palm OS doesnt multitask- ie. you cant run more than one program at once, one shortfallof palm OS.
  3.    #3  
    You gotta be kidding! So I have to freakin' re-start TT after every single phone call?
    You have to go back to the application after the call. But the resume takes very short time. It's about 2-3 seconds on my 650.
  5.    #5  
    How do you resume? I keep having to start over and reprogram my destination? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    are you running the latest update?
  7.    #7  
    I am running 5.201 - is that the latest?
    Usually, it keeps the route in memory and renavigates when you return. I too run TT and the call is an annoyance, but not TT fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by klurfdawg23
    no because palm OS doesnt multitask- ie. you cant run more than one program at once, one shortfallof palm OS.
    Not exactly true. Palm OS does multitask. Chattermail, pTunes, SAG, and Mundu all run in the background on my Treo. It may not be as easy to multitask on Palm OS, but a lot of apps do it. Tom Tom could do this as well. However, with the 650 only one application can use the Bluetooth library at a time, so I imagine Tom Tom works around this shortcoming by disconnecting Bluetooth when a call comes in, so that the hands-free app can create a Bluetooth connection. On the 700, the Bluetooth stack runs on its own thread (another example of multitasking), instead of the application's thread. With the 700, Tom Tom should be able to use Bluetooth at the same time as the Hands-free application, so I imagine it is possible for them to "udate" their application so that it can run in the background.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    Quote Originally Posted by paesano
    Not exactly true. Palm OS does multitask. Chattermail, pTunes, SAG, and Mundu all run in the background on my Treo. It may not be as easy to multitask on Palm OS, but a lot of apps do it. Tom Tom could do this as well. However, with the 650 only one application can use the Bluetooth library at a time, so I imagine Tom Tom works around this shortcoming by disconnecting Bluetooth when a call comes in, so that the hands-free app can create a Bluetooth connection. On the 700, the Bluetooth stack runs on its own thread (another example of multitasking), instead of the application's thread. With the 700, Tom Tom should be able to use Bluetooth at the same time as the Hands-free application, so I imagine it is possible for them to "udate" their application so that it can run in the background.
    I've used the TomTom with Treo650 from the beginning. It does multitask phone use (I also play Ptunes in background with Tomtom).

If a call comes in, answer it, then while talking (you might want to pull over to do this), go back to your launcher menu and restart TomTom. It should resume the last navigation that you were doing.

Same if you want to make a call. Switch to phone, dial the call, then switch back. It should resume the same navigation, while you're talking.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larrynj4
    I've used the TomTom with Treo650 from the beginning. It does multitask phone use (I also play Ptunes in background with Tomtom).

If a call comes in, answer it, then while talking (you might want to pull over to do this), go back to your launcher menu and restart TomTom. It should resume the last navigation that you were doing.

Same if you want to make a call. Switch to phone, dial the call, then switch back. It should resume the same navigation, while you're talking.
    Really? Interesting, I've never tried that so will have to once I reload my apps on the 700P.

Regarding multitasking on the Palm, it's not just a matter of TomTom supporting this, I would think, but the phone app would need to as well, or am I wrong? Also, TomTom is a little different from most other Palm Apps. It doesn't work within the Palm environment, but creates its own, or is this just a superficial difference of just not using the Palm's GUI?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Really? Interesting, I've never tried that so will have to once I reload my apps on the 700P.

Regarding multitasking on the Palm, it's not just a matter of TomTom supporting this, I would think, but the phone app would need to as well, or am I wrong? Also, TomTom is a little different from most other Palm Apps. It doesn't work within the Palm environment, but creates its own, or is this just a superficial difference of just not using the Palm's GUI?
    Sorry, I don't know too much about the technical aspects of how it works, only that it does. Another interesting thing about tomtom is that I did not have to re-install it. Apparently, the latest release forces the whole program to the SD card. Makes sense, since it's worthless without maps. Why waste valuable Palm space? I popped the old SD card in (did not reformat yet to FAT32), and it worked. Needed to be re-activated, but TomTom techinical support was very helpful in getting that done the same day. This was my third activation request, so I needed proof of a trade-in (my first Treo was exchanged under warranty a few months ago).
    Quote Originally Posted by larrynj4

Curious whether anyone has tried this. I am trying to figure out whether to buy a BT or wired GPS for my 700p.

If a call comes in while using TT on BT and paired to a BT headset, it will switch to the call app. While still on the call (over the BT headset), is it possible to switch back to the TT app and continue navigation?

Thanks very much to anyone who can confirm this!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have the side button set to tomtom, makes it easy to resume after the call ends. Never had a problem resuming on the 650, will try today with the 700.
    Thanks for offering to check -- and to confirm, I am really curious about whether you can resume TomTom over a BT connection while you are still connected to a call using a BT headset...
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I don't use a BT headset with tomtom + BT sat receiver. If this is what you want then I would suggest getting a wired receiver or cradle that has been proven to work with 700P. I think I read that with wired you can actually have a phone conversation while the wired setup continues to navigate (silently during conversation). But please check up on this because it's been i while since i researched it.
    Just bought the Navigator 5 bundle and had navigator working (bt gps) while talking on the phone over a bluetooth headset.

It was a little unstable, but it worked!