Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 232829303132333435 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kludge View Post

A few things to consider as you attempt this. First the hack is not as simple as just turning on the tether flag, I believe that there are also things done to either toggle or not set the flag that notifies the carrier that you are using PAM access.
    There is nothing in the instructions regarding toggling a flag off or on. I can't find any new options under preferences.

I wonder if people, who are getting charged for casual data, did not install this properly. If it isn't installed on the 7xx and you tether I suspect Sprint is now allowing this...but charging 79 cents a minute for "casual PAM."

I finally got a Nokia 770 tethered. Took several tries. For some reason it first thought the Treo was a regular phone...ie...modem and it was looking for baud speed and the like.

I surfed for about 5 minutes. I did note that the laptop symbol was displayed during the surfing.

I will check back in a few hours to my Sprint account to see if I was charged for casual PAM. I'll be disappointed if this doesn't work however it is still nice to know I can get my mail in a pinch without subscribing to the monthly PAM plan.

P.S. I did use my Sprint name and password...but don't know if that is necessary....Palm says it isn't on their website for Windows connections.

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...ase=Obj(44803)
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    There is nothing in the instructions regarding toggling a flag off or on. I can't find any new options under preferences.

I wonder if people, who are getting charged for casual data, did not install this properly. If it isn't installed on the 7xx and you tether I suspect Sprint is now allowing this...but charging 79 cents a minute for "casual PAM."

I finally got a Nokia 770 tethered. Took several tries. For some reason it first thought the Treo was a regular phone...ie...modem and it was looking for baud speed and the like.

I surfed for about 5 minutes. I did note that the laptop symbol was displayed during the surfing.

I will check back in a few hours to my Sprint account to see if I was charged for casual PAM. I'll be disappointed if this doesn't work however it is still nice to know I can get my mail in a pinch without subscribing to the monthly PAM plan.

P.S. I did use my Sprint name and password...but don't know if that is necessary....Palm says it isn't on their website for Windows connections.

http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...ase=Obj(44803)
    I should have been more clear. The hack itself is supposed to take care of these flags. I read that on another post somewhere out there (probably on this thread?). Someone was asking if a carrier could detect that you were tetherd and someone replied that the hack hides that. I suspect those that are being charged don't have the right data plan or none at all? I use Verizon so I am no use to you Sprint folks. I have the unlimited data plan from Verizon (don't pay the stinking $15 extra for tethered Broadband Access). I have never seen an extra charge for data use even back when I had my 650 with the Shadowmite hack for it).

I also tether my Tungsten T3 to my 700p and it works great, though much slower than surfing on the phone. I do this since the browser on the T3 is a full HTML browser where the one on the 700p is, but is usually detected as HDML. The T3 always connect with no trouble, my mac however about 1 time in 10 will not connect the first try.
    Update: the casual use wireless web minutes were a screw up by sprints customer service by not changing my power vision plan over in time when I got my 755p so I started using the web while I didn't have that web plan, just like in the old days of sprints web service if you didn't pay the extra 5 bucks you got a minute by minute charge. So those charges had nothing to do with PAM and Im positive that the hack still works just fine.. Sprints customer service just sucks at plan switching I guess.
    Good to hear. I can confirm I wasn't charged on my 755p as well. In fact I'm posting this from the Nokia 770 BT tethered to it.

The 770 has a considerably better (ie. more compatible and stable) browser than does the Treo.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I installed the bluetooth hack on my verizon wireless phone. It works great! However, I understand that usb is much faster. I downloaded the sprint connection manager and it connected without any problem and worked great too! Does anyone think I may be sending a flag to verizon by doing this and/or by using sprint's connection manager? Let me know your thoughts.
    USB isn't much faster, I have tested that theory every which way and can say at least in my area that USB provides pretty much the same speeds as bluetooth. As for the sprint connection manager I would think as long as you have the hack installed you should be fine. I would probably use one of the other DUN programs like usbmodem or pdanet just to be safe though, but those both cost money. Just test it for a month and see if anything pops up and you will have your answer.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jakehawk View Post
    Hi,
    I installed the bluetooth hack on my verizon wireless phone. It works great! However, I understand that usb is much faster. I downloaded the sprint connection manager and it connected without any problem and worked great too! Does anyone think I may be sending a flag to verizon by doing this and/or by using sprint's connection manager? Let me know your thoughts.
    Is there anyway someone can try this also that has verizon and has done the hack? My phone is through a small company and I never see a bill, so I wouldn't know until it was too late.
    I snagged the Pre-MR Unhacked PhoneInterfaceLibrary.prc and did a hex DIFF to find the differences in the hack. The first few are the modification dates and attributes which are meaningless. After that there's one changed hex string in what appears to be a subroutine called SetTetheredMode. This same sub appears in the new PhoneInterfaceLibrary and the same string changed in the original hack appears in the new one. However, changing the new lib in the same manner as the old one didn't work - phone goes into continual reboot - zero-out reset required to recover.

I don't have the time and tools (ARM code reference, machine code to assembly language decompiler) to figure out exactly what the original hack changed and address how that change may need to be done differently in the MR version.

For those interested, in the original hacked PhoneInterfaceLibrary the following change is made (other than the dates and attributes):

Offset 0xA11C
    FC422DE9 009099E5 C09299E5 is changed to
    FC472DE9 0000A0E3 FC87BDE8

In the new PhoneInterfaceLibrary (post-MR) the same string appears at offset 0xAB3C. Note - this string appears in multiple places - it's possible I didn't change the right one, but I don't have time to dig into this. If anyone does and has the tools, let me know and I'll share my learning to-date.
    why are you looking into that when the hack works pre and post MR?
  10. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Any word on whether the hack is broken by today's re-released MR on Verizon? Hopefully it will be fine, I'm just a little paranoid about being charged. I will make sure to reinstall the hack after the update and restore, of course.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I can confirm that the hack still works with the Verizon "_" underscore release. I had zero problems with the hack and it seems to connect more reliably and faster than before.

I install it with Resco Explorer BEFORE using missing sync to restoring my applications and data. This way you don't have to pay for Resco. I have also found that if you delete Resco with the regular Palm delete method (not with FileZ) and re-install that you get one run of Resco before it realizes that your limited license is expired. I however install the hack before the restore just in case.

I have noticed with browsing and doing speed tests on the phone that the "_" release is much faster (up to twice as fast), however tether speed with BT and USB remains the same.
  12. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I just did the update. It seems to have gone well. I do think it's initiating the data connection faster, although my speed tests using Blazer show pretty much the same as usual (~120 kbps).
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I'm getting 384K and sometimes above 400K using http://dslreports.com/mspeed post "_" install
    I had nothing better to do Friday night (sad I know) so I dug into the PhoneInterfaceLibrary.prc from the maint. release. Figured out what I did wrong the first time around and fixed it. I'm testing the new version (based on the MR library) and so-far so-good. I'd like another week to confirm there are no stability problems or anything else weird.

Why do this when the old hack works just fine? The update to the library in the Maint. release fixes some problems with text messaging (delays) and improves on some other things. Can you live with the old version - sure. If you were having problems with the old hack, the new one might work better for some of those. IMHO, the software was all designed to work and tested by Palm in a known configuration. Deviating from that configuration introduces variables I'd rather live without on a device on which I rely so heavily.

Anyway, give me a week to play with this and I'll let you know if it is OK.

D
    BTW - the more I've played with this the more I like it. Way more powerful than Filez, and includes some useful tools. It's well worth the minimal investment for what they've put into the program. If I were only to use it once in a blue moon, I'd too have heartache paying for it, but I find myself using it for something multiple times a week.

For example, you can change the back-up attribute of UnsavedPreferences.prc to hotsync it - then most if not all of your registered programs remain registered after a hotsync. It also has a handy RAM back-up to SD utility and lots of other stuff.

BTW - one thing it allows you to do is edit records in .pdb files (not detailed edit, but you can delete records - like records that tell Resco it's been installed and running for X days - it's saved in UnsavedPreferences.prc.

D
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Post MR udpate to my Verizon 700p. BT DUN does not work anymore. Laptop says "Opening port". Bluetooth icon on 700p reverses colors to show BT connection in progress but it never progresses past there to the laptop icon to show DUN connected. I reinstalled hack and reset device. Still no good.

Ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.
    Last edited by crawfpm; 09/25/2007 at 07:07 AM.
  17. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Just for comparison, my DUN is working fine with the underscore update, and seems to connect faster. I am also very interested in an updated PhoneInterfaceLibrary.prc hack, as I have a lot of lag that I think is related to SMS and the phone in general.
    I really don't think that the hack has anything to do with sending sms msgs. the only purpose the hack has is allow you to use your phone as a modem without having the plan. It disables the flag alerting your carrier that your using your phone as a modem.
  19. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    I really don't think that the hack has anything to do with sending sms msgs. the only purpose the hack has is allow you to use your phone as a modem without having the plan. It disables the flag alerting your carrier that your using your phone as a modem.
    I'm not saying the hack does, but my understanding is that the hack is based off PhoneInterfaceLibrary.prc from 1.06. It sounds like Death2iPhone is looking at creating a new hack using the 1.10 version as a starting point, because Palm updated that file with fixes for SMS, etc. Anyone running the current hacked file would be using an older and more laggy version of that library. At least I think that's what the theory is.
    I'm new to all this. I read the tutorial hack, and I don't see anyway on how to hack my Treo700p for internet access with my PC, not mac. Is this possible?