Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Hi, thanks for all this cool help. Have done exactly what is required... but the DUN quits after 12 seconds.

i'm using a Verizon 700p, mac os x, macbook pro.

thoughts?
    Turn off PPP echo settings in the options.
    Hoping this isn't a duplicate post - if so my apologies.

Probably sounds odd to most but I'm curious: Anyone out there have the 700wx but using it for DUN on a mac? Hey, Mac's are now intel based and can run windows natively....so maybe this isn't such an odd question.

I'm still deciding between the 700p and wx but I'm hard core Mac. If nobody has the wx working on Mac for DUN....than my decision has been made for me.

Thanks for your input in advance.
    I am just curious if people use this as a substitute for paying for a cable/dsl modem or if people just use this as a secondary means of getting on the net when there is no wifi available.
    My understanding is most people use it as a secondary solution, so as not to raise any eyebrows by downloading gigs and gigs of data. I've never paid attention to my usage (though I've switched from this hack to PDANet, because my speeds were MUCH faster), but I only use it on the road for checking e-mail and basic browsing. I'm not downloading music or anything.
    Does anyone have a Verizon 700p working with Linux? I'm trying to use USBmodem and Ubuntu, and I get the following from pppd:

root@grograman:~# pppd /dev/ttyACM0 call ppp-script-treo
    send (AT&F0E0V1S0=0^M)
    expect (OK)
    AT&F0E0V1S0=0^M^M
    OK
    -- got it

send (ATD#777^M)
    expect (CONNECT)
    ^M
    ^M
    CONNECT
    -- got it

Serial connection established.
    using channel 13
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyACM0
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth pap> <magic 0x9de5da34>]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 <mru 1500> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xe953e1b6> <pcomp> <accomp>]
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x2 <pcomp> <accomp>]
    rcvd [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 <auth pap>]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9de5da34>]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 <mru 1500> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xe953e1b6>]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x3 <mru 1500> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xe953e1b6>]
    rcvd [LCP ConfNak id=0x2 <pcomp> <accomp>]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x3 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9de5da34>]
    rcvd [LCP ConfNak id=0x3 <pcomp> <accomp>]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x4 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9de5da34>]
    rcvd [LCP ConfNak id=0x4 <pcomp> <accomp>]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x5 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9de5da34>]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x5 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9de5da34>]
    sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x9de5da34]
    peer refused to authenticate: terminating link
    sent [LCP TermReq id=0x6 "peer refused to authenticate"]
    rcvd [LCP DiscReq id=0x4 magic=0xe953e1b6]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx>]
    Discarded non-LCP packet when LCP not open
    rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0xe953e1b6 9d e5 da 34]
    rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x6]
    Connection terminated.

Thanks,
    -Chris
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    ^Chris,
    While I am not familiar with Linux or USB Modem, the error states the peer refused to authenticate. In my experience, the only way to get this hack to work is to use the bundled software for VZW Access Manger. And in speaking with VZW, you have to use this program to tether the 700p to their network. It does support usb and BT. That is how I have been using it.

^dstudboy,
    I have been using this off and on as primary access. (I originally stated that I would only use it as back up, but am very happy with the connection I am choosing to play with it a little more. I don't download anything at home that I wouldn't download on my phone and I am very happy with it. My philosopy is that if I am working on my phone, or home computer, I would still be using the same amount of data, it is just a different interface.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Is the VZW software required if you are connecting to the 700p via Bluetooth???
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrimmer View Post
    Is the VZW software required if you are connecting to the 700p via Bluetooth???

mtrimmer, I would think so. I have no experience w/ BT. I know that in the app itself has BT listed in the types of connections you can make.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    What do the download / upload speeds look like in an EVDO area?
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdeckard View Post
    Does anyone have a Verizon 700p working with Linux? I'm trying to use USBmodem and Ubuntu, and I get the following from pppd:

root@grograman:~# pppd /dev/ttyACM0 call ppp-script-treo
    Are you experiencing disconnects at the exact same time every time? Ubuntu defaults to 2 mins in my experiences, which is something like 6 failed LCP requests at 20 seconds each? I forget exactly... there is an option in PPP though to make sure the pppd does not expect LCP responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanov View Post
    Are you experiencing disconnects at the exact same time every time? Ubuntu defaults to 2 mins in my experiences, which is something like 6 failed LCP requests at 20 seconds each? I forget exactly... there is an option in PPP though to make sure the pppd does not expect LCP responses.
    I'm not able to even get an initial connection. Perhaps the username and password I'm using are incorrect? I'm using my phone number as username, and vzw as password (that's what the Verizon CSR said to use).

-Chris
    VZW software sin't required to connect blueetooth to 700p.
    You can buy BlueFiles for Palm to make it easier to transfer fiels back and forth to your computer (Mac in my case)
    You do need to get Verizon to enable the phone for modem use if that's what you're trying to do out of the box or use another hack.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    install the sprint connection manager to use this? Is there a way to set this up with out installing that software?
  15. buk
    Sorry if this is a silly question.

Does this work with 700wx too? If I do not buy the tether software, can I use this to tether?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    is there a way to to this without installing the sprint connection manager? i copied the hack prc already, but dont want to use the sprint connection manager.
    OK. Thanks to the quick email support with Mobile Stream (http://www.mobile-stream.com/) I now have USBmodem working with Verizon Wireless under Linux. This should work on any flavor of Linux, provided you have a current/working pppd.

Use the EvDO template provided in the zip file. Your USERNAME should be NNNNNNNNNN@vzw3g.com in both the ppp peer script, and in your pap-secrets file (where NNNNNNNNNN is your phone number). The PASSWORD you should use in pap-secrets is your phone number, without the @vzw3g.com.

Turn on USBmodem from the Treo, fire up pppd, and you are good to go.

Right now my VZW account is set to have a free month of tethered access, so I don't yet know if the hack works.

BTW, posting over the Treo right now.

-Chris
    Last edited by chrisdeckard; 12/14/2006 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    I downloaded Resco Explorer for trial just to install this hack and before I could get to it, my trial expired. Does anyone have any other way to get this hack installed besides RE?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    I downloaded Resco Explorer for trial just to install this hack and before I could get to it, my trial expired. Does anyone have any other way to get this hack installed besides RE?
    You can use ZLauncher's file manager. That's what I used.

-Chris
    this sounds great! i want to try it but i'm afraid i'll f&#@! something up. i just got a 700p and thought i'd try the card (got the card and a $100 service credit, plus the $50 rebate). but i don't see using it that often to warrant the $50/ month. obviously it'd be great when i am out - vacations etc. this tethered hack maybe just the solution.

is it fairly simple to set up?