Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
    NEVERMIND . . . I got BT to work . . . in case anybody is wondering you do not need a security code to pair your PC with your palm . . . this may seem dumb, but this is where I stumbled. Pair the device, and then right click on it in BT manager and click on "Connect Dial-Up networking" . . . the BT icon on the palm will change to a computer.

My speed was 421 kbps via cnet speed test . . . about the same as the USB. Why would you use PDANet when this works so damn well . . . alpha . . . beta . . . oh wait none of the above with this!
    TRG Pro -> m515 -> Tungsten E -> Palm TX -> Treo 700P
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    On verizon in the DUN window what do I use for the user name and password?
    Quote Originally Posted by pipdawg View Post
    On verizon in the DUN window what do I use for the user name and password?
    Don't know about verizon specifically, but on sprint most including me have left the username and password blank. The number for us is #777. Hope that helps . . . maybe someone on Verizon will respond.
    TRG Pro -> m515 -> Tungsten E -> Palm TX -> Treo 700P
    I followed the directions and used Resco but I can't connect. I reset my device, rebooted my computer but still get error 633: The modem is already in use or is not configured properly. I am using the USB cable -trying to keep it simple. I've installed the sprint connection manager and have tried both it and straight threw windows with the same results.

My 700p can get data via blazer without a problem.

I searched the 700p forum for 633 and got no hits at all. Any thoughts on what I can try?

Thanks,
    Wandering_burr
    This is so simple to do.
    I had to hard reset my Treo for various reasons. Anyhow, afterwards all I did was copy the hack file to my SD card using my card reader, then copying it to RAM using Resco. Soft reset the Treo700. Create a dial up network in Windows XP no user name no password and dialing #777. Went into Blazer and visited a couple of links to establish connection. Opened my browser on my computer and here I am typing

From Speakeasy:
    Download Speed: 921 kbps (115.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 71 kbps (8.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

I love you guys!!
    i got a modem port already in use error the second time i tried to use this. unplugged the usb and plugged it into a different usb port and it worked again....now I have internet at my gf's on her laptop she's making me lunch as we speak
    my wife has a samsung 900 (or something close to that). Can somebody please help explain how I might tether that? (Sprint). Many thanks.
    bump - any assistance appreciated. Comcast is KILLING us, and I'd just love to dump the bast@r**
    Quote Originally Posted by davi View Post
    i got a modem port already in use error the second time i tried to use this. unplugged the usb and plugged it into a different usb port and it worked again....now I have internet at my gf's on her laptop she's making me lunch as we speak
    Does anyone know why this happens??

I have this problem as well, and sometimes I have to reboot my computer to get the USB modem connection to work. I don't have bluetooth, so this isn't an option.

Usually the only way I can get it to work is to reboot, stop Hotsync, then attach the phone and connect. I don't use anything else that would use com ports, as far as I know. Also, it would seem that we could change the port from COM9 to something else...

Any ideas?
    USB modem works beautifully and while you have to pay for it - it's "guaranteed" to work with little stress. Plus, they support Windows, Mac, and Linux! http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

Spend the money and save your stress....
    Thanks for everyone's help here. I got the hack to work without any trouble. Now, I want to install the palm modem driver to another Laptop PC without the unnessesary software I don't need. Sprint PCS connection manager does not allow me to complete the install with the Palm modem drivers without installing the Palm Desktop software 1st. Any way to get around this? I see alot of you posting about using Sprint BC (business connect?)- where can I download this without registering?
    Just had to say, YOU ARE THE MAN mmastrac!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bad news for folks using 700p...found this in the readme.txt file for Sprint PCS Connection Manager:

Palm
    -700p (USB only, does not support Bluetooth DUN)
    -700wx (USB only & Bluetooth)

Palm is starting to suck more and more to me...

I need some help...every other minute, I get a "Error Connecting to Spring PCS Vision...Opening port...Error 633: The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly.
    I'm not trying to connect! Why does it keep trying to on its own? How can i tell it to stop?
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekeman View Post
    Found this from another site... Im sure its valid... but will this hack still "hide" us from being detected as being tethered?
    It is already in october. Anyone who got power vision got charged for tethering? come out, man. If nobody does that, then do tethering and let me know. Be sure you have enough money in your pocket.
    Perhaps I just don't understand how the "per kb" billing works, but how can you be sure that you're using the "hacked" tether when you do get it working. I got it working, and it's very fast (considering I can basically sit anywhere and use it), but I wouldn't really want to use it on a per kb basis. Other than checking my bill (either online or when I get it each month), is there any way to know that I've performed the hack properly, and that they haven't found a way to pick up that I'm really not just using the data on the phone? I could see that if the "per kb" billing worked by having you log in with a user and pass and this one just works without that as being an easy way to tell, but I don't know if it just works without a user and pass, anyway.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    How much data are you guys loading using this hack? I have mobitv and between that, this hack, and regular phone usage, I raked in about 1gb of data. That's not too bad, considering the magic number before they kick you off (so they say) is around 10gb's a month.

What are you guys getting using your phone as a modem, be it through the paid service, this hack, usb modem, pdanet, or what ever way you do it?
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    when you say phone usage, you mean data usage using the 700p's browser, right (Blazer, etc.), not voice?
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Right data only, not voice.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    do we just cut-n-paste the .prc file? isn't the prc file is the installation packet that you need to do it thru palm quick install and hotsync?

so, after copied the .prc file to RAM (used SD card and Resco explorer to transfer to RAM) and reset the phone, i tried it using the USB cable and sprint connection manager, the connection works, but:
    how can we tell if the patch works on my 700P?
    how can we tell if the data not tethered?
    Last edited by royz; 10/08/2006 at 07:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekeman View Post
    Found this from another site... Im sure its valid... but will this hack still "hide" us from being detected as being tethered?
    Totally unrelated to the focus of this thread, but I wanted to thank you for pointing this rate change out. As a result I called Sprint to check on my SMS text usage. Seems like my usage has skyrocketed in the last few weeks and I'd have a higher bill than I'd expect. Luckily they've upped the $5 plan to include 300 instead of 100, so all I had to do was ask and they upgraded me (no extra charge, no longer contract.) For $10 you get 1000 now and for $15 you get unlimited. I'm on the SERO plan, so these add-ons are quite reasonable, IMHO.

I have no idea how the other rate change (or their new rumored ability to 'detect' data tethering) will affect us, but I'll keep an eagle eye on my bill and report back. I use it infrequently enough that it's not a deal breaker. I like it as a "plan b" convenience though. Time will tell, I suppose.

Thanks again!