Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
    Hmm...when installing Sprint Connection manager I get "failed to load palm tether application, please make sure the latest version of palm desktop is installed. (error=50)

My version of palm desktop is 4.2 (from Sprint 700p install disc). The most up-to-date at Palm's site is 4.1 (there's a note at the Palm support site about using the disc when possible as that version of desktop has some special functions built for the P)
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    -bump-
    anyone know the answer to work around the above conflict message?
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    OK. I installed the fix and it seems to connect just fine. How do I know that the new patch is installed and not the default file from Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford
    -bump-
    anyone know the answer to work around the above conflict message?
    I get the same error on my Win2k laptop. Error does not occur on Winxp.
    Subscription post
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpasquariello
    I get the same error on my Win2k laptop. Error does not occur on Winxp.
    So I'm pretty much screwed to use this on my Win2K work laptop?
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Just a quick note to anyone looking to remove the hack. Since it is technically a system patch, you'll need to reset your phone while holding the "up" key. This performs a no-notify reset that doesn't load system patches (or notify any programs of startup). This should remove any OS locks on the file that prevent it from being removed...
    FYI, in case others get confused as well on this. I couldn't seem to get this to work, as I couldn't delete via Filez. It seems just like install, Rescu Explorer is needed to delete. Locate the PhoneInterfaceLibrary file in RAM using Explorer and delete, then use the instructions above, holding up while resetting.
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    I was getting he same message. Replacing the patch in the SD from the Mac (I had sent it via BT the first time) and copying to RAM with RE and a soft reset did the trick for me. Both my Mac and WinXP laptops work via BT and USB. I did have to try it twice in the PeeCee before it worked with Sprint connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dslunceford
    So I'm pretty much screwed to use this on my Win2K work laptop?
    Bumping this...so given the error about "not having latest version of desktop," am I unable to use this on a Win2k machine? I will actually have potential need for this week after next when traveling to the beach....
    --Steve

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    How is it that a VPN with the tether makes the data stream undetectable by Sprint? Anyone have a link on how to set one up?

Could one just use a proxy, say something commercial like Anonymizer.com (was just at the site, and they have a completely end to end encrypted tunnel you can use).

Or what about tor or privoxy?

Or are these different things (I'm not too technical, sorry).
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher
    So, to sum my question up, if you use the hack, is there any advantage to using pdanet versus the pcs connection manager? PDAnet claims to potentially double your speed.

In addition, does PDAnet work without PAM and NOT using Proxy mode? If it doesn't than I'll go hack because proxy is supposed to be noticeably slower.
    I have the same question. Is PDAnet worth considering?
    I've been very happy with <a href="http://mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html">USB Modem</a>. Works great on Sprint with my Mac.
    like Bennytheshap above, I also use usb modem (and also their card reader). with both software I can quickly get any Windows OS laptop use tethered mode.

1) Enable card reader to load the driver file to laptop.
    2) turn off card reader turn on the usbmodem and load the correct driver for the network connection. Remember to use #777

thank you TC!
    Visor -> Treo 300 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Treo 800w
    I think PDAnet does same thing as hack, but makes it a lot easier to connect. Just tried PDAnet and I had it up and running in less than 2minutes...But one thing i find funny:
    I had speed tests in both Tethered (Firefox) and Non-Tethered (Blazer) and these were my results:

[HTML]
    Site Tethered Speed Treo700p Speed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.2wire.com/ 190-250Kbps 850-950Kbps
    http://infospeed.verizon.net/ 264.3Kbps 686.5Kbps

[/HTML]

These tests were done with about 2 to 3 service bars. Why such a difference in speed when its tethered thru USB?

Also MSIE seems to give me faster speed results than Firefox.
    Last edited by karimkb; 08/14/2006 at 01:05 AM.
    I'll have to run speed tests later from the 700p itself. Tethered mode consistently gives me 800-850 Kbs in PDANet (using FF). I can't get IE to work for some reason in proxy mode (even when I manually add a second IE icon). Dunno whassup with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennytheshap
    I've been very happy with <a href="http://mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html">USB Modem</a>. Works great on Sprint with my Mac.
    Probably been answered before but there are no sprint usage charges using usbmodem on a mac?
    Has anyone gotten this hack to work on Mac OS X via USB? Bluetooth works just fine.
    I have used USB Modem to connect via USB, and that works fine.

I'd like to just use the hack, so I don't have to use an additional app, but I can't figure out hwo to get it to work. When I plug in the cable, the computer does not see the phone at all.

-Randy
  18. Q 1
    What is tethered mode, and what is the benefit of getting around it?
    This worked fine for me about a month ago, but now whenever I connect, it connects but then disconnects about 5 seconds later. This is with Bluetooth, Connection Manager, and directly through Windows DUN.

Any ideas?
    I had the same problem with my Mac. I had to use the setup BT device again to tell it to use DUN. Actually, I have to do it just about every time I need to use it. It works OK until I disconnect and wait a while before starting to use again. I have not looked too much into it but I think is yet another BT 700p issue.