Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Just delete the file from your RAM
    Has anyone tried Pdanet for 700p? I saw it was up on their website, junefabrics.com.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toadtooler
    Has anyone tried Pdanet for 700p? I saw it was up on their website, junefabrics.com.
    Plenty of folks are trying it out, check this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&page=1&pp=40
    So which one is ore stable/reliable? The tethered mode hack or the PDAnet beta for the 700p?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Has anyone gotten the hack to work via USB on a Mac? I know "USB Modem" works on a Mac, but I'd rather do it for free!
    alright this isnt working, I am using XP and usb
    I have the hack in ram and soft reset
    I installed connection manager
    When ever I make a dialup network connection I only get the choice to use my phone port for a modem connection
    I went to the hotsync app on my 700 and went to modem and as the phone number I put in #777 and didnt change any settings, tried both virtual modem and the other and when I hit the button to activate it never connects with my laptop.

If someone could tell me what Im doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it, this is really making me mad.
    ^ Beastman, I think you jumped the gun on Sprint BC installation. It seems that the Palm Modem driver wasn't installed at all.

During the install, I recall seeing a screen (I think it's the 2nd one) that asks what you'd like to install. It had a series of checkboxes, with the top ones outlining which applications, while the bottom ones asking for what phones. Make sure that you checked the "Palm 700p" box. Unlike the Connection Manager option on the top, It is -not- checked by default.

What you should do now is just re-run the Connection Manager install again.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swivel1000
    Can anyone provide clearer directions for BT tethering? Mine works fine via USB cable. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Treo 700p -> Win XP
    Someone would need to know what bluetooth stack you are using - the MS builtin, or some other 3rd party, and then they'd have to know that particular stack...

so no, not without more info.
    For me I use ActionTec bluetooth dongle (buy from fry's electronic). It does come with CD with all driver needed for everything.

1)Just install the software from the CD first (before plug in the BT dongle)
    2)After software installation, just plug in the BT dongle. It should do it own thing
    trying to find all needed drivers.
    3)Go to "START" menu and find "MY BLUETOOTH PLACE"
    4)make sure bluetooth on your phone is on, click on "find device in range", then pair
    the phone and computer.
    5)after both paired together, click on "discover available service", then you should see
    "dial up networking" icon.
    6) now just a matter of double click on it, and leave username and password blank.
    make sure on phone number is "#777" (no quotation) then just hit dial.

that's how I did mine with BT dongle. I have lot of trouble trying to use USB tethering method since I also use my samsung A900 for internet too (both BT and cable) so after I install "palm modem" that come with connection manager, I got COM port all conflict with my samsung modem and BT modem. I have to move COM port around. Anyway I got that working after hour of tweaking.

My result was disappointing tho. I got 345 kb/s for BT and 365 kb/s for USB. And I have full signal on EVDO coverage. I know that because second later I use my Samsung A900 and do both BT and USB speed test and I got 325 kb/s for BT and
    989 kb/s for USB.

Anyone has any idea why my treo is awfully slow (well maybe not awefully) but none
    the less did not meet my expectation ( I was hoping for at least 600 kb/s on USB, I know BT is to be little slower than USB but mine treo perform almost the same USB or
    BT) ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    So which one is ore stable/reliable? The tethered mode hack or the PDAnet beta for the 700p?
    Well I just tried all three today PdaNet Beta2, USB Modem and the Hack.

First I tried PdaNet and it works all right if you're just web browsing but I use other applications that need net access and they wouldn't work with the program. I should also mention that when I used the browser to either download something or try DSLReports speed test (Java version) it wouldn't work with PdaNet.

I tried USB Modem but since in all the tests I was using Bluetooth I had no idea how it was supposed to work. Documentation is missing for this feature, in my attempt to use Bluetooth with USB Modem I never got that to work and instead was inadvertently using the Hack (I previously installed that in RAM)

The Hack simply worked. I don't know if it was slower then PdaNet or faster (as other people where claiming) all I know is that it worked with all my applications and I was able to look at my calendar shoot off an SMS while still actively connected. Another thing that impressed me is that I got a call while using the Internet and after I hung up everything still worked on my laptop and I didn't have to reconnect, I was very impressed.

In short I liked the way the Hack worked better then any of the other solutions and the fact that I didn't have to run something on my laptop to make it work other then a standard dial-up connection made it seem more natural and easy.

I did some speed tests with PdaNet and the Hack (using DSLreports mobile speed tests) and I didnít notice a significant difference. Most of the tests I took showed between 260Kbps to 320Kbps. I saw some threads where people were claiming 900Kbps on PdaNet but Iím sure that would depend what city you are in then anything else.

Just to let you know Iím a Sprint user.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar

First I tried PdaNet and it works all right if you're just web browsing but I use other applications that need net access and they wouldn't work with the program. I should also mention that when I used the browser to either download something or try DSLReports speed test (Java version) it wouldn't work with PdaNet.

I tried USB Modem but since in all the tests I was using Bluetooth I had no idea how it was supposed to work. Documentation is missing for this feature, in my attempt to use Bluetooth with USB Modem I never got that to work and instead was inadvertently using the Hack (I previously installed that in RAM)

The Hack simply worked. I don't know if it was slower then PdaNet or faster (as other people where claiming) all I know is that it worked with all my applications and I was able to look at my calendar shoot off an SMS while still actively connected. Another thing that impressed me is that I got a call while using the Internet and after I hung up everything still worked on my laptop and I didn't have to reconnect, I was very impressed.

In short I liked the way the Hack worked better then any of the other solutions and the fact that I didn't have to run something on my laptop to make it work other then a standard dial-up connection made it seem more natural and easy.

I did some speed tests with PdaNet and the Hack (using DSLreports mobile speed tests) and I didnít notice a significant difference. Most of the tests I took showed between 260Kbps to 320Kbps. I saw some threads where people were claiming 900Kbps on PdaNet but Iím sure that would depend what city you are in then anything else.

Just to let you know Iím a Sprint user.

It makes sense, the hack is exactly the way the 700p would work if you officially had a PAM plan, it just does the same thing the DisableNAI option does on other sprint PV phones.
    The question is, can Sprint detect this hack? PdaNet says that thier "Proxy" program is undetectable.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar

There is an "early release" version of PDAnet at the junefabrics site which eliminates the restrictions of the beta, apparently.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
  14.    #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami
    The question is, can Sprint detect this hack? PdaNet says that thier "Proxy" program is undetectable.
    Unless JuneFabrics are running a full VPN through their own servers or changing the user agent of your HTTP requests to that of Blazer (which would break a whole bunch of pages!), this is total BS. Heck, even if they ran a VPN service on their own servers, Sprint could always detect traffic to it and nail you that way!

If you want an absolute guarantee that you won't be detected with the hack, find yourself a VPN server and connect through that all the time. The Google one works pretty much anywhere, but you could always set up a personal PPTP or other type of server at home:

https://wifi.google.com/download.html
    http://openvpn.net/ + http://no-ip.org

I wouldn't believe a company trying to make a buck without checking out their claims thoroughly.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmastrac
    Unless JuneFabrics are running a full VPN through their own servers or changing the user agent of your HTTP requests to that of Blazer (which would break a whole bunch of pages!), this is total BS. Heck, even if they ran a VPN service on their own servers, Sprint could always detect traffic to it and nail you that way!

If you want an absolute guarantee that you won't be detected with the hack, find yourself a VPN server and connect through that all the time. The Google one works pretty much anywhere, but you could always set up a personal PPTP or other type of server at home:

https://wifi.google.com/download.html
    http://openvpn.net/ + http://no-ip.org

I wouldn't believe a company trying to make a buck without checking out their claims thoroughly.
    B4 a war breaks out, I should say that I chose my words poorly and JF never said that Proxy was "undetectable." That was a word that I used too loosely.

If anyone is interested in their exact words used for the Proxy program check out their site.

mmastrac-

Your hack is great and I used it once or twice just to check it out. I plan to use it while on vacation a month or so from now and if it works as advertised I will certainly send a few bucks your way. Nice work.
  16.    #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by theswami
    B4 a war breaks out, I should say that I chose my words poorly and JF never said that Proxy was "undetectable." That was a word that I used too loosely.

If anyone is interested in their exact words used for the Proxy program check out their site.

mmastrac-

Your hack is great and I used it once or twice just to check it out. I plan to use it while on vacation a month or so from now and if it works as advertised I will certainly send a few bucks your way. Nice work.
    Heh... Just making sure that people realize that unless you use a private VPN, if Sprint wants to see your traffic they will!

This seems to be JF's official statement:

Well, when you use your Treo device for Phone-As-Modem on your laptop, your carrier might require you to pay for an additional Phone-As-Modem plan on top of the usual data plan. PdaNet avoids that problem but, you never know. There is always a concern that your carrier might not be happy and make changes. On the other hand, with Proxy Mode, PdaNet basically acts as a regular network application on the device and does not use your device for Phone-As-Modem.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I've been testing this hack for a bit, and obsessively check my Sprint bill online (it's updated in pretty much real time) and see no charges from this. I think they see it as regular EVDO data usage.

Regardless, many of us will simply be using this once for an hour or so, every few months when we travel. I'm not about to pay $40/month for that once-in-a-blue-moon convenience. Maybe if Sprint was smart, they'd have a $5/day option as well. But they're not. And so I install the hack.

If I got a bill for this usage, I will simply say I never signed up for PAM, so what they are charging me for is impossible. And I will refute and reverse the charges.

That said, I think the folks Sprint would target (and rightfully so) are the folks who'd be using this as their "full time, 24/7" net connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    Yeah, peloton, as flipside99 alluded, this is for Treo 700p only.

For 650, check this old thread for the Shadowmite hack:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=63250

(and note, on Sprint 650's, DUN is built in with the latest firmware, no need to install a hack!)
    Thanks, Fofer. I managed to miss the "700p only" part of the thread. The next morning, however, I did install Shadowmite's 650 BTmanager and now have the unhidden selection on my BT menu. Need to dig up a BT dongle now for my laptop (too old to have it natively... ). Do you know if anyone has a USB tethered option running for the 650 (thread pointer perhaps)? I've done some searching but haven't found the right combination yet... FWIW, I'm on Verizon.
    "The heavens declare His righteousness, And all the peoples have seen His glory."<br>e-sword
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    peloton, check out this software:
    http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html
    Question re: Sprint Connection Manager. Can use the connection Manager with the Hack to get connected without being monitored or, do I have to set up a DUN session in XP. I have the Connection Manager installed, I have the hack in the phones Ram, and The drivers are recognized in Device Manager. I like the CM interface, to connect. I am connecting USB Cable.
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User