1.    #1  
    Hello to all- newbie here from sunny California.

Verizon told me a new 650, an updated 650 is coming.

Wait? get the present model or, perhaps the 700?

My sense is the 650 is better for my purposes.
    I own a Mac. I want seamless interface between the Mac and the Treo for
    appointments, addresses, phone, text messages, and emails. That means in both directions Mac to Treo and Treo to Mac.

My intention is to sync the treo to the Mac once a day . Oversights cause much pain in my business- music.

No gaming, nothing but business stuff.

Elegant solutions regarding bugless software for Treo 650, and Mac for that matter, are sought. Right now I am on ICal and Address book. And the mac Mail program. i am willing to change any of these for the sake of a seamless hassle free transfer of info.

Do I need more memory for the 650?
    Highly recommended, stable app for Treo are sought.
    Oh, and the best wireless and wired ear pieces too.

I am about to buy it at Verizon- is that a smart move?
    Thanks
    Current 650 vs. new 650.

I'm not sure about this one. I've seen a rumored upgrade for the 650 software to come out in June but who knows whether this is what they're talking about. Plus you've got to figure that they have all of their old inventory they need to dump.

Boring business stuff

That's what I do. The 650 works just fine.

Mac

Sorry, can't help on this but there is a Mac forum here on TC. Fish around there for help.

Verizon vs. anyone else

Consensus is that Verizon is expensive. I'm on T-Mobile. Sprint has good deals. But first things first -- how's coverage at your house/work/school/other places? That's what really counts. If Verizon is the only company that gives good coverage in your neck of the woods, then you pay. Take some test drives.
    Quote Originally Posted by telephonitis

appointments, addresses, phone, text messages, and emails. That means in both directions Mac to Treo and Treo to Mac.

My intention is to sync the treo to the Mac once a day . Oversights cause much pain in my business- music.

Elegant solutions regarding bugless software for Treo 650, and Mac for that matter, are sought. Right now I am on ICal and Address book. And the mac Mail program. i am willing to change any of these for the sake of a seamless hassle free transfer of info.

Thanks
    I am a Mac user and have used the Entourage program from Office 2004 for mac in lieu of the palm desktop for contacts, calendaring, memos, etc. After initially struggling with setting up the proper conduits for entourage for the 650, I used the system for about 9 months before getting the 700p. I had no problems syncing with entourage. When I got the 700p, all I had to do was to go into the hot sync manager and disabled the palm conduits. The program has been working well to date although I have only hot synced twice since gettng the p. The entourage program has worked well for me.
    Legalbeagle
  4.    #4  
    Thank you
    I am in S Cal. T Mobile works fine. I already did the Air touch and later Verizon " Can you hear me now dance "
  5.    #5  
    WHy are folks saying go with the 650 not the 700? I am new at this.
    Thank you in advance
    700 (w or p) is not got Cingular or t-mobile or any GSM carrier).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by telephonitis

Thanks
    if you are going to get a long term contract, then get a 700p, if you are just buying a phone for your existing contract you can get a good deal on a 650, even from folks here at the forum who will be upgrading.

If you are using ical, address book and mac mail.app then you should get missing sync 5.1 by markspace and dont even bother installing palm desktop.

as far as head sets, please check out the many threads here on that subject, many people have many opinions.........
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    as far as head sets, please check out the many threads here on that subject, many people have many opinions.........
    Well, just don't do what I do with headsets (lose them).
  9.    #9  
    I actually downloaded the missing sync BEFORE I got the Treo!

Contracts aside, (I have T mobile now), why is 700 better than 650 for my purposes?
    It probably isn't. The 700p seems to be more of an incremental upgrade that refines and improves the 650 modestly (except for those power users who have been dying for more memory and EVDO etc.).

Bottom line, if you have to ask why, you definitely won't see much (if any) of a benefit getting the 700 over the 650.

If you travel internationally, you will be able to use your phone if you use T-mobile or Cingular...not so with verizon. If you stay with T-mobile, make sure you buy an unlocked GSM phone. Lastly, with T-mobile you can sign up for their 5.95 internet plan and tweak your Treo settings (with a proxy) to have full internet access. All in all its a lot cheaper than going with Verizon and the 700.
    Last edited by climber_rich; 06/02/2006 at 03:15 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Thanx