1.    #1  
    Just got the 700p yesterday, and it's a big improvement over the 600. The screen is 10x better and the camera is 100x better, I like the keyboard and it's much faster. I've discovered some issues with Versamail that will drive me nuts if I don't resolve them, and here they are.

1) I keep all my email on the server, so I set Versamail to only download stuff from the past three days to avoid downloading 1500+ messages. When I did this, I got an alert informing me that it skipped a bunch of messages. Then I downloaded again and got the same message again. Which wouldn't automatically dismiss itself. I found that rather annoying, so I came up with a clever way to solve the problem. I downloaded subjects only for all 1500+ messages. Then I deleted them, and set Versamail to download everything. It seemed to work ok, but this morning it downloaded another 28 old messages, then 28 more. I set it to check only the past 3 days, and said it skipped 200+ (instead of 1500+). What the heck is going on? I honestly can't deal with getting that "alert" every time I check my email. Any solutions?

2) It's not checking my mail automatically, even though I set it up to autosync every 15 minutes (and now every 5 to help troubleshoot it).

3) There's a 1/2-second delay when I press any button or select anything.

Are these known issues? Are there fixes? I have Snapper Mail and I could use that, is there any downside? I'd rather stick with Versamail if I can troubleshoot this stuff, but otherwise they all rank as killer flaws. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Re: your first point:

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $once$ $you$ $empty$ $trash$, $Versamail$ $doesn$'$t$ $remember$ $which$ $emails$ $it$ $had$ $previously$ $downloaded$. $So$ $try$ $leaving$ $your$ $deleted$ $emails$ $in$ $trash$ $and$ $see$ $if$ $it$ $re$-$download$ $the$ $old$ $emails$.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13
    Re: your first point:

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $once$ $you$ $empty$ $trash$, $Versamail$ $doesn$'$t$ $remember$ $which$ $emails$ $it$ $had$ $previously$ $downloaded$. $So$ $try$ $leaving$ $your$ $deleted$ $emails$ $in$ $trash$ $and$ $see$ $if$ $it$ $re$-$download$ $the$ $old$ $emails$.
    you can set it to delete the mail from the server at the same time as you delete it from the treo. Takes a bit longer but worth it.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar
    you can set it to delete the mail from the server at the same time as you delete it from the treo. Takes a bit longer but worth it.
    That's one possibility, but I tend to keep all my email on the server for easy reference since I use just one email account for all my devices (laptop, desktop, Treo, web access).

I redownloaded everything, and this time i trashed stuff but haven't emptied the trash yet. I'll check back in a day (after auto-emptying) and see if there's still a problem.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerome
    I'll check back in a day (after auto-emptying) and see if there's still a problem.
    Not sure what you mean by this... if you have your treo auto-empty the trash, then I'm sure Versamail will want to re-download the emptied emails. If you just want to confirm that emptied emails will get re-downloaded, you can do so by manually emptying the trash at any time.
    I've tried using Versamail a few times in the past, but always moved back to Snappermail for various reasons. This is because I can't seem to figure out how to do a few things on Versa...maybe you can help?

1. I can't get the 700p to vibrate when a message arrives. The phone simply stays silent, and flashes the LED. How do I get a vibrating alert in Versa? This happens when my mail alert tone is set to "Alarm" or "Alert" and the phone in Vibrate mode. I don't have the tone set as "silent." I'm not THAT dumb! BTW - Snapper does this just fine.

2. To get to the page with the email summary, I always have to hit the little alarm icon in the upper left. Would that come up if Versa were assigned to a button and I pressed it? It's a hassle removing the stylus to check the email screen...and I have 5 email accounts.

Many thanks!
    Larry Z.
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
    Hi Jakerome!

If you want to leave those 1500 emails on the server -- using a PC to move them out of the "Inbox" on that server to a different folder -- such as "save".

Then you can just deal with current emails for download to your Treo. (A workaround until you find the real solution.)

Cheers, Perry.
  8.    #8  
    I think I'll move to Snapper Mail, as it resolves all those issues. I can leave all my email on the server, I just downloaded everything once & deleted it just to verify it works the way I want. The only annoyance with Snapper Mail is that the screen turns on everytime it checks my email. Anyway to avoid that?
    I think I'll move to Snapper Mail, as it resolves all those issues. I can leave all my email on the server, I just downloaded everything once & deleted it just to verify it works the way I want. The only annoyance with Snapper Mail is that the screen turns on everytime it checks my email. Anyway to avoid that?
    I don't think so, jakerome...

The reason I was experimenting with Versamail was because I thought it might not interfere with voice communication. There have been times on my 650 where Snappermail went into "pull mode" and while it was operating some phone calls were diverted into voice mail. I guess I'll have to see how Snappermail works on the 700p as far as that issue is concerned - but overall it's a great program and their support is fantastic. Maybe you could email them and ask if there's a way to turn off the screen? I've found them to be quite responsive.

Cheers!
    Larry Z.
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
  10.    #10  
    I'll have to ask them about the LCD issue, not a deal breaker but something that should at least be an option. I had another question for the Snapper Mail crew, and like you said, they were very responsive.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I also like to archieve my mails and leave them on the server. So I forward all my various mail accounts to Gmail then set gmail to forward the email (and keep a copy) to my Sprint email account. That way i can delete anything i don't want without fear of losing my info. Of course i can still check my gmail if i need via blazer. I don't enable pop on gmail cause it seems rather flaky.

Perhaps this may help.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    That's one possibility, but I tend to keep all my email on the server for easy reference since I use just one email account for all my devices (laptop, desktop, Treo, web access).

I redownloaded everything, and this time i trashed stuff but haven't emptied the trash yet. I'll check back in a day (after auto-emptying) and see if there's still a problem.

See if this works, it does on my 650 with Versamail:

1. Set your phone to pick up emails for the past 3 days.
    2. When you delete the emails do not check the box "delete from server." This will put them in the versamail trash.
    3. Set versamail to empty trash every 3 days. (this will not delete from server).