1.    #1  
    Very cool! The Treo 700p connects to my Acura TL and my bluetooth GPS simultaneously.

I used to have to carry around an old bluetooth phone and switch my Acura's connection to it so that it would free up the Treo 650 for the GPS when I needed directions. Now it can take calls and navigate at the same time.

OK so *that* was worth the price of admission...
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    Very cool! The Treo 700p connects to my Acura TL and my bluetooth GPS simultaneously.

I used to have to carry around an old bluetooth phone and switch my Acura's connection to it so that it would free up the Treo 650 for the GPS when I needed directions. Now it can take calls and navigate at the same time.

Can anyone else confirm this? The 700p seems like many steps back but this would be a nice REAL upgrade.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I know on the 650 I could send files to multiple devices at the same time - so I would think this wouldn't be a problem to begin with? Good to hear though.
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    OK I like the sound of this.

DougKoz, did you talk and GPS nav at the same time, or just nav and think that the handsfree was still paired?

Someone else please confirm.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48

DougKoz, did you talk and GPS nav at the same time, or just nav and think that the handsfree was still paired?

Good question. I'll try tonight. With my old 650 I couldn't connect to BT GPS at all unless I first unpaired the car. Now it definitely can handle BT GPS and car, but I didn't try receiving a call yet. I will report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoskater
    I know on the 650 I could send files to multiple devices at the same time - so I would think this wouldn't be a problem to begin with? Good to hear though.
    The Treo has always been capable of multiple connections, however, those connections needed to be made by the same application. In the case of sending files, the Exchange Manager application can create connections to multiple devices if needed.

What the Treo has NOT been able to do (until now) is have different applications use Bluetooth at the same time. In other words, on the 650, having a hands-free connection and a GPS connection at the same time required that two applications access Bluetooth at the same time. That simply did not work.

With the 700P, system services, such as the hands-free app, can use Bluetooth at the same time that a user application (such as GPS software) uses Bluetooth.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    Good question. I'll try tonight. With my old 650 I couldn't connect to BT GPS at all unless I first unpaired the car. Now it definitely can handle BT GPS and car, but I didn't try receiving a call yet. I will report back.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that this will work just fine. In theory there should be no problem, but it wouldn't be the first time in my life that I was wrong!
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

OMG I can't wait to try this, if it's true, I can't tell you how pleased I will be!
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    got my tomtom navigator software up and running on my 700p this morning and was anxious to test out the simultaneous bluetooth devices...sad to say it didn't work, but I hope this just needs some more troubleshooting as this is a feature i have been desperately wanting since i starting using gps on my 650 last year.

i am using the tomtom bluetooth gps unit and the treo brand bluetooth headset from palm. the process i went through was: start up the gps and have it actively navigating me somewhere, then try to make a call. the phone loses the connection to the gps unit and picks up the headset. it won't reconnect to the gps unit until you terminate the call and also restart navigator.
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by kasi1222
    got my tomtom navigator software up and running on my 700p this morning and was anxious to test out the simultaneous bluetooth devices...sad to say it didn't work, but I hope this just needs some more troubleshooting as this is a feature i have been desperately wanting since i starting using gps on my 650 last year.

i am using the tomtom bluetooth gps unit and the treo brand bluetooth headset from palm. the process i went through was: start up the gps and have it actively navigating me somewhere, then try to make a call. the phone loses the connection to the gps unit and picks up the headset. it won't reconnect to the gps unit until you terminate the call and also restart navigator.
    It is possible that, knowing the limitations of the 650, the Tom Tom software disconnects when a call comes in, so that that Treo has a chance to connect to the headset. There may need to be updates to the Tom Tom software to use both at the same time. I couldn't say whether Tom Tom is working on this or not.
    Sounds like it needs true multi-tasking to take advantage of both connections simultaneously.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    For whatever it is worth, I just had the 700p paired with my Haicom BT GPS receiver (using TomTom software) and my Parrot 3100 car kit simultaneously with no problems.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mg48

OK I tried this out tonight on my drive home. Here's what happened. I connected both devices, went into TomTom and started navigating home (that live traffic speed feature is nice!). Then I used my Acura voice dialing to initiate a call.

The Treo 700p automatically stopped TomTom and moved to the phone app and completed the call. When I hung up, it didn't automatically switch back to TomTom, but when I pushed my TomTom button (I have it mapped to the side button), it picked up right where it left off, Bluetooth connection to GPS and all.

So yes, it works. It doesn't do phone and TomTom at the same time as applications, but it does handle both Bluetooth connections simultaneously, and handles the application transitions gracefully.

So I'm happy as a clam...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by paesano
    It is possible that, knowing the limitations of the 650, the Tom Tom software disconnects when a call comes in, so that that Treo has a chance to connect to the headset. There may need to be updates to the Tom Tom software to use both at the same time. I couldn't say whether Tom Tom is working on this or not.
    Ah yes, good point. I am using TomTom Navigator 5.2, the latest version...
    Instead of starting another Acura TL thread, I'll add to this one.

My VZW Treo 700p works great alone with my TL's HFL. It displays the signal strength and whether I am roaming ("RM"). The BT connection seems more stable than with my Treo 650, which tended to crash randomly when connecting with my car.

The BT stability alone was worth the price of admission for me.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I can't get the HFL to work on my acura tl. Tried many times. Any advise?
    Quote Originally Posted by bsudyk
    I can't get the HFL to work on my acura tl. Tried many times. Any advise?
    you should have no problem pairing it, email me if you want RickyBatista@fastmail.us
    i have paired my 700 and my other 8 650's i have owned , the HFL on the TL has got to be one of the easiest Cars to pair
    Hmmm...seems like hit or miss then with multiple BT connections at the same time?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I have the Parrot CK3300 Car Kit/GPS and the treo 650, I could never connect to both at the same time, Parrot even sets it up so when you start the car the screen will say connect to GPS, and if your not going to use it you click on no and it will then connect to your hands free feature ...
    I now have the 700p but the tom tom licence is on the 650 that I gave my wife, I'm going to try to install it on the 700p and give it a try but I don't think its possable..