Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    I'm trying to write a grading database program using ThinkDB 2.0.

    I can get it to pull student names from my address list. I can get it to lookup other records in the address list too. I've been using address list NOTE to keep a comma delimited record of grades.

    Although I get a record in my Gradebook TinyByte to find the note entry, I need to parse the comma delimited scored into individual NUMBERS, so they can be numerically processed.

    Do any of you know a good trick for converting a string (character) variable into one or more numeric variables within ThinkDB? I have the string "58,74,73,85,92" as a text field, and I want to parse it into 5 seperate numeric fields of 58, then 74, then 73, then 85, then 92.

    Any ideas? Can anyone positively declare "It's impossible to do within ThinkDB"? Perhaps with a ThinkDB plugin? If so, which one?

    Lastly, I found I could have pictures as fields in a record. Does anyone know how I could use Eyemodule or FireView images? I've already got student eyemodule pictures in the eyecontact database. If I could simply reference THEM to my gradebook database it would be great!

    BTW, I can program logic with the best of them. I just don't know what tools or functions are actually available in ThinkDB. Throw me your best ideas. I'll tell you if they work.

    Thanks,

    Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
  2. #2  
    You might try this list. Lots of help here.


    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThinkDB
    "We are the people are parents warned us about."

    <b>Clark Fralick</b>
  3. #3  
    I'm new to making ThinkDB database apps for myself, I have looked in the documentation, I don't see that it is possible to write a procedure within the application. It is possible for math expressions, but for parsing or variables I don't see that functionality that I can find.
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by DBrown
    .....
    I can get it to pull student names from my address list. I can get it to lookup other records in the address list too. I've been using address list NOTE to keep a comma delimited record of grades.

    Although I get a record in my Gradebook TinyByte to find the note entry, I need to parse the comma delimited scored into individual NUMBERS, so they can be numerically processed.

    Do any of you know a good trick for converting a string (character) variable into one or more numeric variables within ThinkDB? I have the string "58,74,73,85,92" as a text field, and I want to parse it into 5 seperate numeric fields of 58, then 74, then 73, then 85, then 92.
    ....Dave
    Nothing available unless you write your own plugin.
    However, I have used a one-to-many field sucessfully to create a master-detail relationship. All my tinybyte databases use a Key field defined as Key. Then you can relate any tables together through this key. This way you can have a grades table and relate the data to a student name table that is tied to the Address book.
    In one of my cases, I keep my CD collection on a ThinkDB2 database. A CD table contains information on the the CD and a Tracks table keeps information on each track of the CD. They are related on a one-to-many relationship.
    Before I implemented this, though, I created some test cases to make sure I had the concept down right.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by BudPritchard
    Before I implemented this, though, I created some test cases to make sure I had the concept down right.
    Amen to that! I've got several faculty interested in my GradeBook app, but I'm so new to ThinkDB that it's gonna be awhile before the alpha version gets passed around.

    But programming is fun. Even rewarding, perhaps. I remember writing a keyboard piano application once. The first version was about 1000 lines of code. As I learned more about (quick basic's) functions, I kept streamlining the code. The second version was about 150 lines. The third (and final) was 15. Each version did exactly the same thing, except more efficiently.

    My point? I suppose I hoped ThinkDB had amazing functions in it that I'd figure out sooner or later. It looks like the ONE-TO-MANY option is about the best I'll be able to find. Does anyone know who writes ThinkDB? I've got a few suggestions. ;-)

    Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by DBrown
    My point? I suppose I hoped ThinkDB had amazing functions in it that I'd figure out sooner or later. It looks like the ONE-TO-MANY option is about the best I'll be able to find. Does anyone know who writes ThinkDB? I've got a few suggestions. ;-)

    Dave
    ThinkDB created by http://www.thinkingbytes.com

    They also have a product called DBSync which syncs the data from the Visor to an Access Database. Using Access you can create any functionality you need. Access gives you Visual Basic for Applications. This is close to the Quick Basic you are used to.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by BudPritchard
    ThinkDB created by http://www.thinkingbytes.com

    They also have a product called DBSync which syncs the data from the Visor to an Access Database. Using Access you can create any functionality you need. Access gives you Visual Basic for Applications. This is close to the Quick Basic you are used to.
    Thanks for the link, Bud. As for Access, I'm guessing the access database can be programmed to do what I want, and even USE the data from ThinkDB on my Visor. Problem is, I want to use the gradebook tinybyte on the Visor to take roll, record scores, record absences and tardiness, and calculate grades. The Visor is with me in class. My desktop is not. If Access can actually create a complex database that can be converted to a tinybyte and downloaded, then that would be wonderful. BTW, when I speak of "database", I'm not refering to to the data, only the program that processes and displays the data.

    At this point when a student wants to know how they are doing, I can only show them the numbers. At some point I want my gradebook app to update a grade as A,B,C,D, or F each time I add a new project score.

    Does anyone know of a free Visor BASIC, by chance? I'd rather use an existing Database program, but if I have to program my own I will.

    Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
  8. #8  
    Why put into in the notes section of the address? Build your application and put the grades into your Teacher Grades ThinkDB database application.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by george_vc
    Why put into in the notes section of the address? Build your application and put the grades into your Teacher Grades ThinkDB database application.
    Obviously that is what I'm doing now since I can't parse the textual note into numerals that can be calulated on. I had been keeping grades in the notes of the address entries because I didn't have another option until I found thinkDB and decided to write my own.

    The address application (eyecontact, in particular) is much easier to take roll with. It calls up with one button push, and even has the student's pictures with their names. Very handy for an absent-minded professor like myself. The students are all in their own (same) category, so they are easily filtered from my complete contact list. I really had no reason to create another grading application except to see if I could have the grade scores automatically calculated for me. It was easy to link my tinybyte app to the address book, and my current grades are there. So it was reasonable to desire a way to simply process them while they remained in the address book. No such luck, so far.

    But I persist. I have the will. There must be a way.

    Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
  10.    #10  
    I KNOW I at one point was able to pick the current DATE off of the auto-writer list in a memo field. But now the date option is gone. I have no idea how it got there, why it is not there any more, or how to get it back.

    Someone HELP! How do you get the current date to appear in the auto-writer screen of a memo record? If I can do this, updating my student's absences would be incredibly simple, and include each date they were absent.

    Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
  11. #11  
    I've been trying to write a grade DB for awhile now... difficult. I suggest abondoning it and going to Teacher's Pet (at palmgear, I think...). It's pretty good, and the developer would probably love to work with you (esp. with your programming experience) on improving it...

    see if you can find it...

    Dieter
  12. #12  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    I've been trying to write a grade DB for awhile now... difficult. I suggest abondoning it and going to Teacher's Pet (at palmgear, I think...). It's pretty good, and the developer would probably love to work with you (esp. with your programming experience) on improving it...

    see if you can find it...

    Dieter
    It is at palmgear along with some other teacher based software. Nice thing is that you can download and try it out to see if it fits your needs.
    ThinkDB is basically an information storage and retrieval system. Adding programmabilty requires their SDK and a knowledge of C programming.
    NS Basic is another language available also. But there is no interface to ThinkDB. Search VisorCentral discussions for user's impressions. There was also a review.

    My wife just retired after teaching Kindergarten for 30 years. All the charts and paperwork she had to deal with begged for a computer application. Especially now with the Palm devices like the Visor means teachers can input the data at anytime without waiting to use their home PC's. Beats lugging a laptop around.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    I've been trying to write a grade DB for awhile now... difficult. I suggest abondoning it and going to Teacher's Pet (at palmgear, I think...). It's pretty good, and the developer would probably love to work with you (esp. with your programming experience) on improving it...

    see if you can find it...

    Dieter
    I tried the Teacher's Pet Demo. It's far from intuitive. To get to know it, you have to take a tedious amount of time entering student names, class project info, etc. By the time I had put in all that effort the damned demo expired. I would have probably been glad to register (pay for) it if I could have tried it out for at least a semester. It put a sour taste in my mouth.

    My TinyByte app lets you link to the address list. So if you already have the student's names in the address list then there is no re-entering required. I'm not trying to make a universal gradebook, just one to fit my specific freshman class. There are 18 or more sections of this class each fall, and one (I'm teaching) each spring for students out-of-sequence. I've got all the section teachers drooling for it, but without auto-writer date input it still needs some polishing.

    Please... anyone know how to get auto date input into autowriter for memo records?

    Dave

    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by DBrown
    .....
    Please... anyone know how to get auto date input into autowriter for memo records?

    Dave

    [/B]
    As you know, in defining memo and text fields, you enable the Auto Writer checkbox. I don't understand why there is a difference between text and memo fields, but you can edit the autowriter list with text fields but not memos during data entry. For memo, you have to go through the Design Lists menu and select the memo field to edit the list.
    Not sure what you mean about "auto date input" unless you mean to store a date in the list.
  15.    #15  
    Originally posted by BudPritchard

    As you know, in defining memo and text fields, you enable the Auto Writer checkbox. I don't understand why there is a difference between text and memo fields, but you can edit the autowriter list with text fields but not memos during data entry. For memo, you have to go through the Design Lists menu and select the memo field to edit the list. Not sure what you mean about "auto date input" unless you mean to store a date in the list.
    The first time I added a memo field variable into my tinybyte, and then tried the Auto-Write option when I wanted to add to the menu on a record, the CURRENT DATE was shown with a checkbox next to it. If I clicked on the checkbox, then "APPEND", the date was added to the end of whatever else was already in the memo for that record.

    Somehow, that option disappeared. I want it back. I have read ThinkDB message groups at Yahoo, all of ThinkDB's FAQs, and even emailed technical support at ThinkingBytes.com. Joey at ThinkingBytes simply referred me back to the FAQs. No help.

    There are apparently many wierd flaws with auto-write in memos. Perhaps the next update will address a few.

    Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by DBrown
    The first time I added a memo field variable into my tinybyte, and then tried the Auto-Write option when I wanted to add to the menu on a record, the CURRENT DATE was shown with a checkbox next to it. If I clicked on the checkbox, then "APPEND", the date was added to the end of whatever else was already in the memo for that record.

    Was this option in the Beta version(s) or the final release version? Or maybe the previous version? However, I don't remember this option.
    I only have used the final release. I have also tried everything possible to get the CURRENT DATE option but to no avail. I would also like to know when it stopped working and how long it worked.
    I think I will post a message to the EGroup. I assume someone from thinkingbytes is monitoring it.

    [QUOTE] Joey at ThinkingBytes simply referred me back to the FAQs. No help.

    Not the kind of answer I would expect from a competent tech support person; especially when the FAQ's do not even mention it!!!
  17.    #17  
    As far as I know, my ThinkDB is the free, 2.0.0, Build 002.

    If there is a newer version, could you point me to it? This one has a few pesky bugs.

    Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
  18. #18  
    I'm using the same version. The most annoying bug I have come across is on dbjoins and dblists where all the tables do not appear in the list.
    I also have used DBSync to sync with Access. It has some major problems. Biggest so far is if you set the hotsync to handheld overrides desktop and there is already data in the Access table, duplicate key messages are returned. It should wipe the Access tables. I don't trust it yet to synchronize.
    I suspect that this version of ThinkDB has some serious memory leaks. Occasionally after using ThinkDB, when I switch to another application, I get memory errors that issues a dialog box to reset.

    The only thing I can suggest for the Current Date issue is to manually add a list of dates for the autowriter to use. You can use the DT shortcut and then go back and edit the days. But this is a pain and I have used other applications that allow an automatic date and/or timestamp. This is very useful and should be a part of ThinkDB autowriter.
  19. #19  
    I guess if you get the software developmers kit from ThinkDB you can do more "programming" functions. Has anyone seen the rules on the policies for selling a ThinkDB database or application?
  20.    #20  
    OK, I've tweaked and poked and perused and prayed. ThinkDB just simply doesn't have the guts to reliably do what I'd like it to.

    Garbage gets dumped into the Autowriter option of a memo field where it can NOT be edited or deleted.

    Efforts to get a variable to append to itself (roughly TotalMinutes=TotalMinutes+NewMinutes have failed misserably. The amount will be added a seemingly random number of times. Prev(variable) always is 0, and never updated. Deleted variables aren't deleted on forms and views. The next variable created assumes the supposedly deleted one's properties.

    And so on.

    I've cludged together a useful but crippled gradebook. If ThinkDB had been as bugfree and feature ridden as they claim my gradebook would be much smarter, updating fields automatically. As it is, an incredibly wasteful amount of time is required to update records manually. Instead of an absence log that lists each date a student was absent, I've had to settle for an incrementing integer. Instead of tardy minutes that add up using the current time compared to the class starting time, I have to manually paste daily minutes into a memo, then add them up later.

    ThinkDB developers, are you listening? Plug the memory leaks. Add functional brackets to expressions. Let us add math expressions into conditional logic expressions. Let an expression change other fields or paste results into a memo.

    ThinkDB could have been SOOOOO good! It isn't yet.

    Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions