Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So far I'm not that impressed with EvDo. Blazer still seems to bottleneck and Xiino still is a much better browser. When trying to do test on DSLREPORTS.COM I am seeing anywhere from 150+ to 400+ kbps......

Speed of a broadband connection? I think not!
    I'm impressed... from a usability standpoint, there is no comparison to the treo 650.... MUCH faster.....
    comparing it to my brother's ppc6700 I am dissapointed.

he consistently gets over 300kbps whereas I get constant 180-220kbps.

blazer seriously still needs work....pictures sometime won't even load (same as the treo 650)

I think I will try xiino, and see how it goes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fikse
    I'm impressed... from a usability standpoint, there is no comparison to the treo 650.... MUCH faster.....

Looks like everyone is having different results. It's faster than the 650, but nothing to write home about. Here's what I mean:

I get 350+ when I do the 200k dslreports test in Blazer. But the 1MB test (although it downloads MUCH faster than the 650) stalls after the download is complete because Blazer is saving it to cache or something - net result is that I end up with sub-250 speeds.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81
    comparing it to my brother's ppc6700 I am dissapointed.

he consistently gets over 300kbps whereas I get constant 180-220kbps.

blazer seriously still needs work....pictures sometime won't even load (same as the treo 650)

I think I will try xiino, and see how it goes
    I think the speed is the same, but Blazer spends an eternity doing something with the dslreports download after it is complete-that's why it comes out lower. Try 200k or 600k and you'll get higher speeds. Still not in the 6700 range.

Xiino/Chatter/QuickNews: HUGE disappointment with EVDO here. Things aren't noticeably faster than the 650. Xiino may be constrained by their proxy servers, but even Chatter and QN aren't THAT much faster.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    EVDO - EVDschmo ... I'm not impressed. I especially thought that sending pics from the 700p would be exceptionally fast, but I hardly notice any difference from my 650 days. I even dialed down the pic rez to VGA quality and sending still seems to drag.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    700p blows Xiino out (on timed large download tasks)... thankfully (I HATED Xiino configurations)
    Yeah, I dunno what you're talkin about but the new blazer is far faster than Xiino, someone even timed it on here, don't remember which thread though.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay
    EVDO - EVDschmo ... I'm not impressed. I especially thought that sending pics from the 700p would be exceptionally fast, but I hardly notice any difference from my 650 days. I even dialed down the pic rez to VGA quality and sending still seems to drag.
    Maybe there is an upload cap speed?

Simillar to your broadband connection at your home, there is likely a DL speed to EVDO and, likewise, an upload speed to EVDO service.

So, sending may be faster than the 650 - but only marginally faster - whereas the DL speed is noticeably faster?

Dunno - just my 2 cents.
    I'm disappointed as well.

The 1MB test on www.dslreports.com/mspeed via Blazer yielded ~260kbps in my house, while I got an paltry ~140kbps in my office. (10th floor, downtown San Francisco)

Though I've no point of reference to the 650, I was expecting at least 400kbps. If Blazer is to blame, I may try out Opera Mini, but the install process is a bit janky.
    I definitely noticed a big difference comparing the 700p and the 650. I just ran a dsl reports on my 700p and it came in at 339kbps for 200k. 290kbps 600k. I am pleased with EV-DO on the 700p.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Don't get me wrong I'd love to get the "advertised speeds"
    Jimmie Geddes
    I'm got better speeds with my 6700 but not by to much.
    maybe i'm being to generous because i came from t-mobile crappy gprs network. But blazer speeds are okay for me. I spent all of yesterday blitzing blazer with my favorite sites and they all loaded within a reasonable amount of time. I used to use xiino on my 650 and i prayed for the day i would get a browser with xiino speeds (on gprs) and blazers rendering capablity. I deleted xiino yesterday. Another great feature we are forgetten is that EVDO allows you to take calls (places data on hold) while you are in an active data session - this alone is a huge plus for me as i consider the treo a phone first. Overall i am satisfied, but there is always room for improvement
    Has anyone tried DUN to laptop via USB? It should get up to 1Mbps. Blazer is the bottleneck in-phone, not the EVDO functionality. But for a 320x320 display, 400Kbps is probably decent performance.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Oh ye that have EVDO, complaineth not, and cast your pity upon we poor pheasants who labor in the impoverished barren land of 1XRT.... I get a woodie if I can d/l at 100 kbps!!
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Have you guys overclocked your Treo with PXA Clocker to see if the download speed is CPU limited? I doubt it, but it's worth a try.
    A true comparison to the 6700 is timing how much it takes to load a site on PIE compared to Blazer. Comparing download speeds between the two from a site like dslreports.com is probably not that accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang
    A true comparison to the 6700 is timing how much it takes to load a site on PIE compared to Blazer. Comparing download speeds between the two from a site like dslreports.com is probably not that accurate.
    Well, I think it's accurate but it's going to be true that Blazer loads up faster (and hence appears to work faster) thatn pIE. but that has to do with the different browsers/os's.

It'd be interesting to see a 10mb download (file) between the two devices to really compare, though general reports suggest WM can handle the bandwidth more (but palm is more efficient).

Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Xiino/Chatter/QuickNews: HUGE disappointment with EVDO here. Things aren't noticeably faster than the 650. Xiino may be constrained by their proxy servers, but even Chatter and QN aren't THAT much faster.
    anyone else verify these results? those happen to be the programs i use the most! (well, I could forget about xiino).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I lovED it, and i put that in the past because I tried it in Miami and it was very fast. Now i am back home in PA and it is not an EVDO capable area and this sucks. Anyone knows if sprint has published a EVDO roll out schedule?
    Treoing & Loving it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast