Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm stuck on it... Should I go get one and get rid of the 650? I'm borderline right now but I just dont see enough major advances to see it worth while... What made you wanna get one?
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    There are a number of things, but not having most of my calls go to voicemail due to 1xRTT now that I have EVDO would be enough alone.
    More user memory, better camera, the cool factor of taunting yout 650 friends with your 700p http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ies/tongue.gif

If you don't need the extra memory or EVDO, there is not much incentive to pick it over the 650 IMO.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I've been thinking about this too.
    I've had my VZW 650 for a year, so I'm barely halfway through my contract, so I'm not eligible for new phone pricing (and my NE2) until March 2007.
    To me, the biggest difference between the 650 and the 700P is EVDO.
    If VZW charged what Sprint does, I'd most likely upgrade.
    But $80 a month is way too steep for me, considering I rarely go on the Net with my 650.
    The camera doesn't matter because, really, who uses their Treo as their main camera?
    Memory?
    Heck, SD cards are so cheap now, I've got plenty of memory.
    The screen res is the same.
    I admit, this board has piqued my interest because it is the NEW Treo. It's fun to read how you guys are going nuts about the 700P.
    But I figure, the 650 is no slouch and by next March, maybe a better Treo (wifi or VZW does the impossible and charges $20 a month for unlimited EVDO, 640x640 screen) may be out.
    So as envious as I am with you guys and your new 700Ps, I'll wait until next spring and hope and pray the 750 or 800 is the newest Treo.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Stability. Number one reason. I had at least 7 resets daily with my 650, now I've averaged 2. This is much better considering software hasn't even been modified for the 700p yet.

Camera? My 700p has a camera? Really... my Nikon d50 is a camera. I wish they put a bigger vibrator in the phone instead of the useless camera.

The small improvements make a big difference to me. I think it's worth it. Then again, I didn't pay for my 650. Gotta love Sprint!
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34
    Stability. Number one reason. I had at least 7 resets daily with my 650, now I've averaged 2. This is much better considering software hasn't even been modified for the 700p yet.

Camera? My 700p has a camera? Really... my Nikon d50 is a camera. I wish they put a bigger vibrator in the phone instead of the useless camera.

The small improvements make a big difference to me. I think it's worth it. Then again, I didn't pay for my 650. Gotta love Sprint!
    You have something wrong (with usually a 3rd party program) to be having 7 resets a day. !!! To be having 2 a day is not stability
    only reason in my mind is if you have CDMA and use data.... as was already said EVDO not having so many calls go straight toVM
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Streaming audio and video capability is pretty cool. I might listen to XM or try out Orb, but don't think I'd be a heavy user of either.
    personally, I think the camera is great. Had this discussion the other day. I only look at pictures on my computer, I rarely print them. So at 1.3 rez it is great. I travel a lot and like to "document" where I have been. I'd rather not bring a 3 mp cam when I can pop out my phone and get a good reasonable shot. Enough to bring back memories.

PDF support!!! Enough said there. That is awesome if you travel and need to see pdf attachments. Same with word/excel
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Not worth it for me. No EVDO where I live. Memory has not been an issue for me as most of my apps sit on a 1gb card. Better camera? Newer versions of a few apps? Nah, not for that much money. There is the whole cool factor thing, but they look so similar that it is not a significant issue.

Stability is an interesting one. I run a bunch of 3rd party apps and do not have many resets at all. Good apps and good knowledge of how palm os works make it pretty easy to figure out why I have gotten crashes. I simply stay away from apps that crash. Ocassionaly I get a reset on hitting the hotsync button, but that's really all.
  11.    #11  
    Hmmm, I'm grasping from this that EVDO is nice... If you really need it.

I dont wanna leave sprint with my grandfathered vision price... But I almost want to try out a Windows Mobile product. I'm just a little tired of Palm after a few years of it. I dont wanna go with the 6700, hate that damned antenna.
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Reasons to upgrade:

- Stability. The 700p has not reset on me yet, and I am running 3rd party apps, etc. I think they got their hardware glitches and OS problem smoothed out. By contrast, I've had many Treo 650s that reset a dozen times a day with NO 3rd party apps installed. So this to me, is a reason to switch (although it sucks to have to pay just to get a "normal" device).

- EVDO - browsing is faster and data is faster. It's worth it for me to not have to wait and wait.

- Bluetooth 1.2. Finally...plays nice with Wi-fi and works better

- Memory - allows the device to be more usable (and maybe crash less)

- Camera - 1.3MP might not be something to write home about, but it is a decent improvement.

- Multimedia - better players and seems to handle it better (this is minor for me, but some may like it).
    I'm not a big poster, but I have been a passive member of this forum since the Treo 180. I use a mac at home and a PC at work. I have to say that the 700P is definitely worth the upgrade. While there are certainly things missing that I would have liked (wifi, voice dialing via bluetooth), there's plenty of other things to like. Plays nice with both my PC and Mac. I have dial up networking on both, can access all of my work files via VPN, runs just about all of the apps that I ran on my 650 and that includes verichat, snappermail, quick news, pocket quicken, mobi tv, butler, salling clicker (with the new fix from Jonas) to name a few and adds the nice touches like responding via text message when you can't answer a call and including docs to go and pocket tunes in Rom. Once blackberry connect is available on a large scale in the US, bye bye blackberry. The fact that I can use my Treo as a high speed modem on the train every day is a big deal to me. It easily continues to be the best smartphone available. I know people have their preferences (windows mobile folks, symbian), but the things us Treo users take for granted like the ability to set up shortcuts to anything with just one click just, in my opinion, make the Treo what it is.
    Call me a Treo cheerleader, but this phone is fantastic.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    [removed link after merge - RB] see post above.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 06/01/2006 at 01:55 PM.
    What I'm finding better:

EvDO, of course.

MUCH improved Blazer. Javascript works much better, so sites that didn't work with the 650 are now possible with the 700p. And browsing is fast enough to use the Treo for web forums like this one.

Programs like ChatterEmail run faster. I'm not talking about the download speeds so much, but the program itself. There used to be a noticeable lag when opening up a message after first starting Chatter, but I don't get this with the 700p.

Multimedia app is much faster, as mikec said.

Much more memory means not having to use PowerRun (until the average program gets much bigger in size, at least).
    <merged>
    I upgraded from the 650 (and before that the 600). There is one, and only one reason, to upgrade. Blazer (and all the things you can do with it, e.g., streaming audio/video). I think the 700 is bulkier and more awkward than the 650. It is NOT faster generally. Who cares about the camera? The screen is identical, maybe worse. But the EVDO and lightning fast Blazer makes up for it all.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    other than EVDO and memory..........not worth it. That being said I do have a 700
    Treo 600-->Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w --> HTC Touch Diamond --> HTC Touch Pro 2 --> HTC EVO
    I'm not much of a megapixel type of person so the camera upgrade actually is a deciding factor for me upgrading to the 700p, among other upgrades. I thought the 650's camera was pretty decent in most situations. http://www.infinitemethod.com/images/Bellagio2.jpg
    Last edited by infinitemethod; 06/01/2006 at 02:43 PM.
    EVDO was enough for me
    1 | 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast