Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    BECAUSE IT'S FREE!! At least it was on the 650. Besides, from my experience on the 650, it has a lot less proc overhead than PTUNES, or Aeroplayer etc. If some one were willing to try I could extract Real off my 650 here. I would be very interested to see how it compares to other players. In addition most people play mp3 format mostly anyway...
    I moved RealPlayer and all its databases from the 650 to the 700p and it caused a reset when run. Oh, well.
    I just loaded up my 700p and searched for this thread because mine skips too... Addecd a bunch of MP3 to the high speed ULTRA II Sandisk 2 GB card last night...

No apps running crazy and skips at the start with screen on or off....
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio
    I just loaded up my 700p and searched for this thread because mine skips too... Addecd a bunch of MP3 to the high speed ULTRA II Sandisk 2 GB card last night...

No apps running crazy and skips at the start with screen on or off....
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the 700p. There will be a fix in a few months since Palm knows about the problem. They posted a help article about it two weeks before they released the phone.
    Here's what I just got from NormSoft:

Hello,

The developers are still hunting the problem and trying to reliably duplicate the problem. While we know that the skipping problem really exists, we also have numerous customers using Pocket Tunes on their Treo 700p without any problems. It seems that the skipping problem is not wireless provider specific and not application specific but more device specific. We still have to understand why some devices show the problem and other don't. This is truly a puzzling problem. Providing an ETA is unfortunately impossible at this time.
    As I posted earlier, I have a jumpy Pocket Tunes problem. However, over the weekend, I noticed nearly NO skipping while playing Pocket Tunes. The difference? I was not in an EVDO area, but in the 1xRTT network. Could perhaps EVDO be involved?
    I have a Sprint Treo 700p with the skipping problem. I use the pockettunes that came with the device. I find that if I do anything with the phone while ptunes is running (for example, check my calendar or check sms messages), it will skip more frequently. Otherwise, it doesn't skip all that often (but it still does skip randomly). Hope that helps!
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
    Here's what I just got from NormSoft:

Hello,

The developers are still hunting the problem and trying to reliably duplicate the problem. While we know that the skipping problem really exists, we also have numerous customers using Pocket Tunes on their Treo 700p without any problems. It seems that the skipping problem is not wireless provider specific and not application specific but more device specific. We still have to understand why some devices show the problem and other don't. This is truly a puzzling problem. Providing an ETA is unfortunately impossible at this time.
    Well, at least they're admitting to the problem and are working on it.

I find it strange that they (Normsoft) have had trouble duplicating it. It seems we (the users) have had not had any trouble finding the problem with our devices.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I have a 700P, fully loaded, with only about 15 megs left. I have NO problems with skipping, except for a second when switching apps. Plays fine in background, both initially and after upgrade to PT deluxe. Basically, it's the same as it was on my 650.

I realize I'm lucky, but...this is actually the most difficult problem to fix (ie, inconsistent). Normsoft is generally very responsive, but clearly this is affecting some devices and not others. I would think this is rather a nightmare for a company like Normsoft, with such a huge number of users, and a very difficult to pinpoint problem
    Last edited by pdadoc; 06/12/2006 at 01:07 PM.
    ^same here. No problem with skipping except when switching apps or when email downloading in background or incoming alerts. If idle, pTunes plays w/o skipping.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    For the folks for whom it works OK: Can you try going into Blazer and surfing while listening to pTunes? That reliably produces serious skipping for me!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    For me the pocket tunes normally doesn't skip except when its searching for service. If it finds service and it loses it, pocket tunes jumps like crazy, but when I have service or don't have service for a period of time it doesn't skip during those times
    I have the phone plugged in and playing Ptunes while surfing the web. Just like always it skips, though not consistantly. May skip every 5 seconds or once every 50
    Quote Originally Posted by dnimtz
    As I posted earlier, I have a jumpy Pocket Tunes problem. However, over the weekend, I noticed nearly NO skipping while playing Pocket Tunes. The difference? I was not in an EVDO area, but in the 1xRTT network. Could perhaps EVDO be involved?
    Mine skips with the light off even in EVDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    For the folks for whom it works OK: Can you try going into Blazer and surfing while listening to pTunes? That reliably produces serious skipping for me!
    The only time mine skips is if I'm streaming online, and then attempt to surf at the same time. Other then that, no skips at all.
    Last edited by Bigchris; 06/12/2006 at 03:12 PM.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    This may have been covered already, but I'll post my results. I have a Sprint 700p with about 40 MB left in RAM. When playing music off of an SD card, I get skips every 30 seconds or so (i.e., not the more frequent skipping other people are saying appears to be timed to the LED light) even if I am doing nothing active on my device except letting it play music. The skips occur whether the screen is turned on or off.

I tested various combinations of radio-state and chatteremail-state and have discovered the following: With Chatteremail running in the background, I get the skipping problem even if the Treo's radio is turned off (i.e., even though Chatter can't possible be connecting to the internet). However, with Chatter turned off, I get NO skipping, even if the Treo's radio is on and is connected to Power Vision. All of this is while doing nothing active on the Treo. I didn't bother testing what happens when I'm doing something active, since even my 650 would skip some if I was actively doing other stuff on the Treo.

So, to my mind, the less frequent skipping (i.e., the every-30-second skipping, not the every-3-second skipping) appears to be caused by a conflict with Chatteremail. I have no idea what's causing the skips every 3 seconds. I haven't had that problem.
    it skips for me all the time, especially when running in the background.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    For anyone who might later contemplate this solution, changing Chatteremail so that new messages are saved in RAM rather than on the SD Card makes no difference. (I thought maybe that could be the problem, since the music was also on the SD Card.) The only solution for me is to shut Chatter down entirely.
    Did Mal5z's suggestion and turned Chatter off and got the same result - no skipping at all - tried for 45 mins.
    Mine skips frequently when doing other things: switching apps, using Blazer, or using just about any other app. I don't have Chatter installed so that's not the problem for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    Mine skips frequently when doing other things: switching apps, using Blazer, or using just about any other app. I don't have Chatter installed so that's not the problem for me.
    I'm not sure why I didn't do this earlier, but I just tested on my 650 to make sure I wasn't imagining the difference. (It has the same apps loaded as my 700p and the phone was on with 2 signal bars.) Using RealPlayer on the 650 I experienced no skips. Switching apps, running benchmarks, playing games-- whatever I did it would not skip. The only way I could get the 650 with RealPlayer to skip was by using SoundRec to record sounds to the SD card or play sounds from the SD at the same time that RealPlayer was playing. In other words, RealPlayer on the 650 performed fantastically.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast