Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    It's hard going from Windows to Palm as Windows calls them features and Palm calls them bugs, sorry had to say it
    LOL
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark
    First test done, and wow! My memory is REALLY fragmented. I have 48mb of main memory left, but the largest available chunk size is 5mb. Time for a hard reset and restore.
    What program did you use to see the largest available chunk size? Is there a defragmenter for Palm?
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Using 3.1.6 w/Chatter - the skipping is MUCH improved. I used to have skipping about every 30 seconds or so regardless of what I was doing. Now with 3.1.6, only skips a little when switching apps, and if Chatter is actively being used.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    What program did you use to see the largest available chunk size? Is there a defragmenter for Palm?
    It is my understanding that Palm OS5 automatically defrags the main memory when you soft reset. However, I'm talking about dynamic heap, where the apps actually run. I used UDMH's info function to look at it, and while it showed only around 5.8 mb for the largest chunk size available, I now believe that that is a normal function of the OS. Even though I have 48 mb of main memory available, seems that the 700p has artificial limits on the dynamic memory:

Total size: 10,485,760 bytes
    Free space: 8,146,464 bytes
    Max chuck size: 5,830,456 bytes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    It's hard going from Windows to Palm as Windows calls them features and Palm calls them bugs, sorry had to say it
    You're right. I should have said that the 700p has a database access feature that allows it to run much more slowly than the 650. Third party developers have found that this feature causes the 700p to "take forever" to perform basic operations. I'm sure that once Palm fixes, er, enhances this feature in the near future that the 700p will run much more quickly than they do currently.
    Update available!! 3.1.6

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/?page=new
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    but does it fix the skipping?
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    but does it fix the skipping?
    No. It was also released almost two weeks ago.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    thanks to the guy on the 1st page that turned me on to aeroplayer. It seems to work fine. I can't believe that pocket tunes comes w/the 700p and doesn't work! ie-skipping - such BS
    I've noticed a correlation between network signal/availability, as well. This is particularly noticeable when I was in DC last week on the Metro. Sometimes the train is above ground for a stop or two, then it goes back underground. Then above ground. Exactly coincided with hangs/white screen of death while reading completely local content on my Treo. Also corresponded with skips in pTunes. I'm not surprised, since it takes about 6 hours for the damn radio to turn on. Or off.

Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Yep, it does exactly what it states:

Version 3.1.6 7/31/06

* Modification: Due to licensing requirements, remove WMA from trial version.
    * Bug fix: Improve skipping on Treo 700p (#3246)

It did improve it by a tiny bit. However, Zlauncher is still messing up PTunes.

Al
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    No. It was also released almost two weeks ago.
    It actually made the skipping worse on mine.

SMEGGIE
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckPt.Charlie
    I've noticed a correlation between network signal/availability, as well. This is particularly noticeable when I was in DC last week on the Metro. Sometimes the train is above ground for a stop or two, then it goes back underground. Then above ground. Exactly coincided with hangs/white screen of death while reading completely local content on my Treo. Also corresponded with skips in pTunes. I'm not surprised, since it takes about 6 hours for the damn radio to turn on. Or off.
    I took the BART train into SF a few days last week and used p-tunes while on the train. It skipped a lot. After I shut down Chatter and turned off the phone, the skips stopped except for when the train either entered or left a tunnel. On each occassion, it skipped a few times then eventually went back to normal.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    The new version worked great for me. Only skips under the same conditions that caused skipping on the 650. Chatter will cause skipping on either device when its retrieving or sending an email; also changes in network connections cause skipping on both. In my testing every other player skips as much or more on the 700p.
    I downloaded and installed mOcean and AeroPlayer and they seem to have the same problem with Chatter running, which leads me to believe that this is a Palm issue and not a PocketTunes issue.

I really hope a firmware update fixes this issue, and I really hope it comes soon.
    Don't know if a better fix has come out yet to help the jumping and skips while playing MP3s on PocketTunes. But, if you change your pocket tunes preferences to leave the unit on while playing, it does minimize the issue. Of course, I am sure that this will use more battery, but worth it to not hear the jumping or skipping.
    Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with my new 700p and the latest version of PTunes skipping. However, that was with Chattermail running. When I shutdown Chatter, everything is fine and there is no skipping.
    I actually downloaded an update today on PocketTunes. It seems to have cut down on the skipping by, probably, 90%.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I may have stumbled onto a "fix" of sorts for the 700P/PocketTunes skipping problem.

I had some time to kill last night in the Red Carpet Club at SFO and I had just bought some new Shure E3C's and wanted to try 'em out. (they rock BTW!!) For whatever reason, the skipping was exceptionally bad last night so I though I would fug with it to find a possible solution and I think I did - SharkCache.

http://www.ludustech.com/sharkcache/

I fired up SharkCache and set PocketTunes to 'LockCache', resetted my 700P and then re-invoked PTunes. It ran for at least an hour WITHOUT ONE SKIP, FLUB OR JUMP and damn that was nice!!!

I don't know if this will work for you guys but it worked for me last night and it's certainly worth a shot on yer units.

Hope this helps...

SMEGGIE
    Smeggie - How does it work if you are switching apps, web browsing or downloading e-mail? It would be great if this actually fixed the problem, or at least the majority of it.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Smeggie - How does it work if you are switching apps, web browsing or downloading e-mail? It would be great if this actually fixed the problem, or at least the majority of it.
    Ha...it doesn't fix that, MarkY - but nothing's gonna fix that. That is the result of the lack of the ability of the OS to multi-task more than anything else. You're always gonna have that problem.

However, if you are on a plane and want to listen to music that doesn't skip, this works for that.

SMEGGIE