Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast
    How did you delete Ptunes from ROM? Is there now a ROM tool available for the 700P?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I assume that you'd be able to do this with Filez by changing the attributes.
    Quote Originally Posted by treodub
    I assume that you'd be able to do this with Filez by changing the attributes.
    You'd assume wrong. The only way to delete something from ROM is by using a ROM Tool to reflash the ROM. ROM=Read Only Memory

The previous poster cannot have deleted the factory installed Ptunes from the ROM of his 700P, it is in not possible using any file manager.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Pocket Tunes has been updated to 3.1.6 addresses 700p's skipping

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/?page=history
    Quote Originally Posted by migs
    Pocket Tunes has been updated to 3.1.6 addresses 700p's skipping

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/?page=history
    Try reading page 11. The new version doesn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Try reading page 11. The new version doesn't help.
    It eliminated all skipping on mine. Then again I am not using chatter or a 3rd party launcher (2 biggest offenders).
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    3.16 PT didn't fix the problem. Oh man or man.

Karl
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Still skips like mad when playing in the background. It's a Palm bug, not a PTunes bug. Until the data access bug is fixed, the skipping will remain. http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=118867
    Most people reading this post who don't know you would assume that you still own a 700p and tested the update. You don't and you didn't, correct?

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...99#post1005999
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...79#post1023379

You keep referring to the data access differences between a 700p and a 650 as a "bug". A bug refers to something in the code which causes an unintentional result:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug

IMHO, Palm decided to change the way NVFS memory was accessed to improve the stability of the 700p over the crash-laden 650 with full knowledge that data access speed were slightly decreased. Please post your proof that this a bug. (Sorry.....couldn't resist).

While Palm MIGHT release an update to assist power users who depend on every ounce of data access speeds, it still doesn't mean that it was a bug to begin with.
    As some others may have pointed out already, the skip problem is not strictly a PTunes problem, at least not in my opinion. The entire operating system on my Sprint 700p "skips" every so often. For example, in other apps such as playing games, my 700p skips (pauses) and is noticeable. Even doing something like typing on my keyboard using KeyCaps, I notice a skip/delay/pause that adversely affects the characters I want to type because of the skip/delay.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    As some others may have pointed out already, the skip problem is not strictly a PTunes problem, at least not in my opinion. The entire operating system on my Sprint 700p "skips" every so often. For example, in other apps such as playing games, my 700p skips (pauses) and is noticeable. Even doing something like typing on my keyboard using KeyCaps, I notice a skip/delay/pause that adversely affects the characters I want to type because of the skip/delay.
    When I first got my 700p back in May, I immediately noticed that Ptunes skipped whenever I did things retrieving mail via Snappermail, or accessing the network. It would also briefly skip once when I would switch to some apps.....others it would not skip. However, in all this time I've never had the system or game 'skips' that you are describing..........until now.

I would call them 'hangs' rather than skips myself. I noticed yesterday that twice I couldn't awaken my screen for a few seconds.....the screen stayed dark for about 5 seconds before it came on. Also, I noticed just yesterday that some games would now hang for a split second. This did not occur before yesterday.

I'm going to do the usual tests later today to see if I can narrow it down. It doesn't really bother me, but my curiosity is now peaked.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    First test done, and wow! My memory is REALLY fragmented. I have 48mb of main memory left, but the largest available chunk size is 5mb. Time for a hard reset and restore.
    I would call them 'hangs' rather than skips myself. I noticed yesterday that twice I couldn't awaken my screen for a few seconds.....the screen stayed dark for about 5 seconds before it came on. Also, I noticed just yesterday that some games would now hang for a split second. This did not occur before yesterday.

My Sprint 700p almost always hangs when awakening by pressing any of the 4 main buttons. I have the security password on which probably worsens the situation, but even to get the screen to awaken seems to take 1 or 1 1/2 second, which seems long to me. I don't think my Treo 650 had that same problem. -Casey.
    Casey
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    My Sprint 700p almost always hangs when awakening by pressing any of the 4 main buttons. I have the security password on which probably worsens the situation, but even to get the screen to awaken seems to take 1 or 1 1/2 second, which seems long to me. I don't think my Treo 650 had that same problem. -Casey.
    My two hangs only resulted from pressing the Power key to awake the screen. I've never had any noticeable lags pressing any of the 4 hardware buttons, although I came from a 600, not a 650, so it may be a question of expectation. I have LauncherX, Snappermail, Datebk5, and Causerie assigned to my hardware buttons. Only Causerie has a slight delay entering (<2 sec) and a long delay exiting (5-7 seconds), but that's a well-known app problem.

I'm curious: what do you have assigned to those 4 hardware buttons?
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark
    My two hangs only resulted from pressing the Power key to awake the screen. I've never had any noticeable lags pressing any of the 4 hardware buttons, although I came from a 600, not a 650, so it may be a question of expectation. I have LauncherX, Snappermail, Datebk5, and Causerie assigned to my hardware buttons. Only Causerie has a slight delay entering (<2 sec) and a long delay exiting (5-7 seconds), but that's a well-known app problem.

I'm curious: what do you have assigned to those 4 hardware buttons?

My 4 buttons are programmed for:

Phone, DateBook 5, ChatterEmail, LauncherX.

I don't use Causerie, so I can't comment on this.

The delay I get is anywhere between 1/2 second to 1 second. If I get the White Screen of Death, it may even be longer. Usually it's less than a second...just long enough to notice the delay, but not long enough to be fuming about it. I've even come to expect this so I'm less irked by it nowadays.

I also turned off my security password as a test, and noticed I still get sporadic delays, either from awakening phone, or changing between apps on my 4 hard keys. -Casey
    Casey
    While Palm MIGHT release an update to assist power users who depend on every ounce of data access speeds, it still doesn't mean that it was a bug to begin with.
    You're calling Jeff Gibson a liar? He's one of the most respected Palm developers on the planet and has confirmed the database access bug on the 700p.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    You're calling Jeff Gibson a liar? He's one of the most respected Palm developers on the planet and has confirmed the database access bug on the 700p.
    Jeff Gibson doesn't know you, and you don't know him. Don't presume to speak for him. He's a grown man, and can choose to speak for himself. You don't know what he looked at, or what he was testing. I asked him directly in his forum for his findings, and he didn't respond:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=119388

If Jeff Gibson tells me that there is a bug, I'll listen to him explain what he found. Then we might debate whether it is indeed a bug or something intentional by Palm. Listening to YOU saying Jeff Gibson said something without you knowing any of the context of his testing is the functional equivalent of listening to my 6-month old son tell me how to tune up my car.
    Try reading next time.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    What I am finding is that database access times are significantly greater on the 700P than they are on the 650. This is causing slow downs in every application I have on the 700P. You can really see the impact if you use Palm File Browser. It takes forever to have the file actually written to the device.

Jeff
    The problem lies with the SLOW NVFS database access on the Treo 700P operating system.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Try finding the word "bug" in Jeff's statements that you just posted. Don't go around saying Jeff Gibson found a bug when he never said it. He could sue you for libel, just as Palm could have sued you when you posted in every thread that "all the benchmarks" prove the 700p was "50% slower" than the 650.
    Try finding the word "bug" in Jeff's statements that you just posted. Don't go around saying Jeff Gibson found a bug when he never said it. He could sue you for libel, just as Palm could have sued you when you posted in every thread that "all the benchmarks" prove the 700p was "50% slower" than the 650.
    ROTFLMAO.

I am confident Palm will address teh database access times.
    Ouch!
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    It's hard going from Windows to Palm as Windows calls them features and Palm calls them bugs, sorry had to say it
    Sprint 700p