Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    FWIW ptunes isn't nearly so jumpy when my music is in WMA format. I convert my MP3s to WMA VBR before I put them on my 700p to save some space.

YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMember
    i also noticed that but biggest consern during actual play.
    hmm thats weird. never really had problems during play...well except for when the screen turns off, the music stops until the screen is off. it didnt used to do that now all of a sudden it does. maybe its the crossfade feature? also get a little delay when its running in the background. but nothing major......YET
    I've got a Sprint 700p, and I used to have a LOT of trouble with ptunes when Chattermail was turned on. Then I saw a thread about the SD card being slow (sorry, I don't know how to post the thread number here.

I re-formatted my SD card with the following command (note that I had it hooked to my PC with an SD card reader):

format /fs:FAT32 /V:A-DATA /A:32k F:

Then I copied the files back. Now I still get minor skipping when Chattermail is checking for email in the background. If I go to Chattermail and hit "menu->q" to stop chattermail, I now have zero skipping while listening.

Plus the card is just generally faster with the 32k clusters. Note that I have an A-Data 4gb card, and that it came pre-formatted with the 4k clusters.

HTH
    I don't have Chattermail installed and have the skipping problem. I'm starting to think this is a Treo/pTunes virus created by Apple.

BTW, I am skeptical that Versamail is causing any problems in and of itself. If deleting all it's files helped, it was probably just the side effect of freeing up some memory. Especially since someone in that thread said they got the same problem after switching to Snappermail when the inbox became too large again.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Have you tried re-formatting your SD card? It helped me both with and without Chatter.
    No I haven't. I gave up after hard resetting and trying it right away didn't solve the problem. It's not as bad as it used to be but I'm not jumping through anymore hoops. Especiallly when I'd bet anything that Normsoft finds a problem and releases a patch in their software that fixes it all right like.

I second whoever said that it is amazing that PALM didn't bother testing the MP3 player that they burned into the ROM. It's quite embarassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I second whoever said that it is amazing that PALM didn't bother testing the MP3 player that they burned into the ROM. It's quite embarassing.
    Um, Palm did test it. They even issued a statement on their help page addressing the pTunes skipping BEFORE the 700p was even released.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Um, Palm did test it. They even issued a statement on their help page addressing the pTunes skipping BEFORE the 700p was even released.
    Here's the tidbit you are talking about:

Solution ID: 42632

Pocket Tunes (pTunes) becomes choppy, stutters, or skips on a Treo 700p smartphone

When you're using the Pocket Tunes (pTunes) application on your Treop 700p smartphone, you may notice that the audio playback has breaks, sputters, skips or other issues on certain occasions.

This can happen during some processor-intensive activities, such as switching between applications, synchronizing email, or downloading files.

Once the activity is finished (usually a second or two), audio playback should return to normal.

Another suggestion
    If you're still having problems with audio playback, make sure the issue is not with the audio file itself: play the file on your desktop PC and see if it skips or stutters in the same place.

I would buy the part about downloading email or files but switching between applications?!?!!??!? That is freaking lame! The Treo 600 never did that in the three years I had it with a mere 144 mHz processor. The 650 never did it either.

And the date created for this, May 16th?!? This has got to be the lamest entry they ever put in their troubleshooting database. In other words, we tested it, it annoyed us, we knew it shouldn't do this but we will throw this in there in an attempt to convince consumers it is acceptable because we've got no time to fix it and need to get this out ASAP because the Motorola Q beat us to market and our window is closing. L*A*M*E*!*!*!*!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Here's the tidbit you are talking about:

Solution ID: 42632

Pocket Tunes (pTunes) becomes choppy, stutters, or skips on a Treo 700p smartphone

When you're using the Pocket Tunes (pTunes) application on your Treop 700p smartphone, you may notice that the audio playback has breaks, sputters, skips or other issues on certain occasions.

This can happen during some processor-intensive activities, such as switching between applications, synchronizing email, or downloading files.

Once the activity is finished (usually a second or two), audio playback should return to normal.

Another suggestion
    If you're still having problems with audio playback, make sure the issue is not with the audio file itself: play the file on your desktop PC and see if it skips or stutters in the same place.

I would buy the part about downloading email or files but switching between applications?!?!!??!? That is freaking lame! The Treo 600 never did that in the three years I had it with a mere 144 mHz processor. The 650 never did it either.

And the date created for this, May 16th?!? This has got to be the lamest entry they ever put in their troubleshooting database. In other words, we tested it, it annoyed us, we knew it shouldn't do this but we will throw this in there in an attempt to convince consumers it is acceptable because we've got no time to fix it and need to get this out ASAP because the Motorola Q beat us to market and our window is closing. L*A*M*E*!*!*!*!
    Exactly right. It's probably related to the database access bug that makes all 700p's slow as dirt compared to the 650. It's been confirmed by Jeff Gibson. http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=118867
    I have noticed this problem. The skipping is limited to application switching after I shut down and disconnect Chattermail. It doesn't bother me too much since I usually don't check e-mail or do other things while I'm listening to music, but RealPlayer on the 650 sported much better performance. And many people who don't even have Chattermail seem to be experiencing this problem.
    My new one skips where the other didn't (Other one became defective). No other activity except for the damn phone being on. Geez. I think the music skips when the phone changes cells.
    has anyone tried the new pocket tunes update 3.1.6 does it still jump
    Treoing & Loving it
    Yep, it does exactly what it states:

Version 3.1.6 7/31/06

* Modification: Due to licensing requirements, remove WMA from trial version.
    * Bug fix: Improve skipping on Treo 700p (#3246)

It did improve it by a tiny bit. However, Zlauncher is still messing up PTunes.

Al
    it is still bad under normal use. With a faster SD card and shuttin down chattermail it does get much better. I guess I can use it while flying problem free...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    It improves on the skipping a tiny bit, but the skipping is still there. In my opinion any type of skipping, even if it's "improved" is still unacceptable, and annoying. I'm glad to see Normsoft working on a fix, but they need to get rid of the skipping, not just "improve" it.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    It doesn't seem to make any difference on mine. Still gets skips every 30-45 seconds, but -- as before -- it can be eliminated by turning off chatter.
    Still skips like mad when playing in the background. It's a Palm bug, not a PTunes bug. Until the data access bug is fixed, the skipping will remain. http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=118867
    was excited to see the update was available, but alas, not any better. i dare say it might even be a little worse. this was with screen off, chatter shutdown, full tower signal. Also stutters with screen on, when switching apps, etc.

palm update needed!!
    I downloaded PTunes Ver 3.1.6. I still get the pauses. When I turn off ChatterEmail, this seems to help in reducing the pauses, but the problem still persists. Oh well.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    No more ptunes skips for me. Not sure which fix "fixed" the skipping but here is how I ended ptunes skipping.

1. performed 700P "enema" including renaming "Backup"
    2. perfomed "versamail" deletion
    3. deleted ptunes from ROM
    4. hard reset
    5. reinstalled ptunes from VZW disk - vers 3.09

No ptunes skips for over 5 days

hope this helps