Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harkless
    I finally got fed up with my HotSyncs crashing half the time or more when it'd get to the "Synchronizing Documents" step, so I uninstalled the Windows Documents To Go components. As I was afraid might happen, though, this did not properly restore whatever Documents-To-Go-lite conduit code that comes with the Palm Desktop installer on the 700p CD-ROM, and doing HotSyncs would cause it to crash every single time at the "Synchronizing Documents" step. It crashed in a different way than before the uninstall -- it'd actually have a crashed address popup, and interestingly, if you didn't hit OK on that popup, the HotSync would actually successfully continue the rest of the synchronization in the background. Then when it was all done you could hit OK and the HotSync process would die and you'd have to restart it for next time. An improvement over the intermittent silent crash + hangs, I guess, but still incredibly sucky.

I checked Add/Remove programs to see if there was a Change option for "Palm", but there wasn't -- just a Remove. So I put in the CD-ROM, but the autorun app would just insist that I couldn't (re)install Palm Desktop because I'd already done that. So I ran Palm Desktop\setup.exe on the CD manually, and there was a weird "***IS_STRING_NOT_DEFINED***" error on the first screen of the InstallShield Wizard (I guess it was expecting some branding string to get filled in by its caller, the autorun.exe). However, it continued past that and gave me an option to repair the installation. I did this, but when it got back to the step of HotSyncing the 700p, it would just hang waiting for the HotSync manager to respond. Killing the manager and restarting it didn't help.

So I gave up, uninstalled Palm Desktop, rebooted my machine (and my 700p just in case), and then reinstalled it. Since then I have experienced no crashes or other HotSync problems.

Given my experience, I highly recommend not installing the Windows components of Documents To Go if you upgrade your version from 8.0010 to 8.0030. The 8.0030 component on my Treo itself seems to be causing no problems. Not sure what the fixes were from .0010 to .0030 -- I may end up deleting .0030 and go back to the ROM version to save RAM / expansion card space.

Of course I now need to reinstall HanDBase if I want to get its conduit back (I don't care about being able to make modifications to my databases on my desktop, but the timestamped per-revision backups are nice to have). I'll let y'all know if some of the HotSync instability returns after putting that back (and if so, whether changing it to Handheld overwrites Desktop helps as it did with older versions).
    While doing a HotSync after reinstalling the HanDBase conduit I saw one of those failures where the HotSync process silently goes away and the 700p hangs. Not that that's definitive proof it's the conduit's fault, since this is an intermittent issue, but I do think I spotted the conduit's special progress popup just before HotSync went away (and I believe I probably saw this before). Trying Handheld overwrites Desktop for now to see if that helps.

I found the revision history for Documents To Go:
    http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=2430

Nothing very earth-shattering in 8.003 vs. 8.001. My company does publish some RC4-encrypted PDF files, but I generally prefer PalmPDF over PDF To Go anyway (it's faster), and it already has RC4 support.

But I guess I'll keep the handheld component of 8.003 installed since it's pretty lightweight (if noticeably slower) after you use its Options: Manage Applications to move the sub-apps to the memory card. (Note you can't use PowerRUN to move the entire suite to the card -- it fails with "Can't move database to Card.DocsToGo Error code=0x2A06" and leaves behind a partial copy of the files under <card>/PALM/Programs/PowerRUN/DocsToGo.)
    [QUOTE=Dan Harkless]While doing a HotSync after reinstalling the HanDBase conduit I saw one of those failures where the HotSync process silently goes away and the 700p hangs. Not that that's definitive proof it's the conduit's fault, since this is an intermittent issue, but I do think I spotted the conduit's special progress popup just before HotSync went away (and I believe I probably saw this before). Trying Handheld overwrites Desktop for now to see if that helps.

I found the revision history for Documents To Go:
    http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=2430

Great find thanks.

http://www.icehl.us/
    another with the lack of caller id. It does tell me what state the caller is calling from. This is stock from the box with no additional programs and no 1's in front of my numbers.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    separate issue, and I don't know if this is just a Treo thing in general, but for me it's very annoying coming from my i500.

I still use the palm contacts app, and on the i5 an entry was listed on one line (name and number). On the Treo the name is on one line and the number starts on the next line down so it takes a minimum of two lines for each entry cutting down the number of listings per page by at least half. Means you have to do that much more scrolling to find entries. To me it's extremely annoying. I also like how you can just have a preferred number to be listed. This way you could dial that number by scrolling and hitting send. If you wanted one of the other numbers you would hold down the send button till the number list showed and you could select from the list. And yes, all without a stylus. Just much more convenient (well for me) as I'm sure there is a number you reach most people at most often.

That was one of the "phone first" features I liked with the i5 that I didn't see in other pda phones. Still have me believe that it was the best "phone first" pda phone on the market.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    it's normal. It only flashes now when you have a message or alert
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrote
    When using anything data, Blazer, Snappermail, or anything that needs to connect to Power Vision I get a "Service not available, please try again" everytime on the first try. As soon as I do it again it connects right away. VERY ANNOYING. Does not matter if I try to connect 5 seconds later or 5 hours I have to do it twice! Also have the lag between screens.
    Scrote
    a quick ##3282# menu -> Update Vision Profile will fix this issue on the Sprint Treo...hope this helps!

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    You guys are both correct.

so how do you NOT force EVDO?

does this also stop incoming SMS?
    ~there is no spoon~
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mushedroom
    so how do you NOT force EVDO?
    Just leave the phone as is and don't enter the ## codes to force EVDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571
    I still use the palm contacts app, and on the i5 an entry was listed on one line (name and number). On the Treo the name is on one line and the number starts on the next line down so it takes a minimum of two lines for each entry cutting down the number of listings per page by at least half.

I think most of us that have been using these for awhile don't scroll, but instead start typing the first or last name of the contact you want.

At first, I thought the default contacts app was overly simplistic, but after using it a few days, I really grew to love that simplicity. Try it!

-Curt
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo, MD
    Mine goes to a white screen and lags for about 5-10 seconds when going from Causerie to any other program (with Causerie running in the background)

And when a call ends, sometimes the screen goes white and doesn't come back for about 10 seconds.....

-t
    Well testing out Causerie (since Verichat is broken) I've noticed this white screen lag AND in SMS mode, when I respond to a message, from the pop-up, it does not go through. I tested this with two different SN's and have noticed that in the actual program they do send out, but in SMS mode they do not. Anyone else having this problem?
    I have noticed that games such as Ms. Pacman, gizmo, megabowling, etc. all run slow and choppy now. I guess the games are designed to match the way ptunes performs.
    Regarding mRing from motions apps, if your existing mRing app password for the Treo 650 doesn't work on your new 700p, then try this:

1) Delete the old previous version of mRing app on your 700p since the password doesn't work

2) Go to MotionApps' website, and install the latest version of mRing which is Ver 3.3.3 onto your 700p

3) Enter the old password you previously had for your Treo 650

This should work! It worked for me!

Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalvor
    a quick ##3282# menu -> Update Vision Profile will fix this issue on the Sprint Treo...hope this helps!

Andy
    Andy, thanks. I've been having this problem constantly. Good to know there's an easy solution.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jccomo
    Can someone help me out....will Uninstall Manager work on the 700p?
    On mine, it mostly works. It is not monitoring and, as such, the sandbox feature does not work. I am working twith the developer who says that it works on some Sprint 700's, not on others, perhaps due to a device system difference (which can vary by lot).
    ok some of you might have read my old thread about my first 700p giving me this error that reads "a reset was caused while running unknown application HTC6500CalllTelephony Handler.cpp,line:3390,internal disconnect timed out but did not fix"

I had this problem and my phone was not recieving ANY calls at all....so i got the phone tested it failed and i got a new phone now just for arguments sake i did not load any of my previous stuff on this NEW treo700p it was a fresh new phone never backed up my old stuff and sure enough 3 days later now i have the same dam problem but this time im not getting ANY of my voicemails or text messages until i DIAL out a number and further more my call waiting feature is not even working, when im on a call and someone else tries to call it goes directly to my voicemail and i dont get that voicemail till i make another call...ALSO something new on this perticular phone the last two days iv called regular phone numbers that i talk to all the time and iv heard CRAZY static real real bad nad iv NEVER heard static on sprint before....*** is wrong with tthis ****tt im SOOO DAM mad this is my second i never had these issues before on the 650....what the hell is palm thinking...i called my sprint tech he said three other people brought phones back after i did with the same issue.....but yet iv read NOTHING about this on here....im dam sure someone has to be having this issue what the hell is it nad what is the fix????someone help please before i ****in break this phone in half
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    I haven't tried your product Jeff but I fear that increasing the volume will simply make a crappy and crackly sounding speaker only a louder crappy and crackly sounding speaker. I will try it tonight and get back to you. Thanks for the recommendation.
    My speakerphone is horrible, but the receiver speaker is good. VolumeCare helps out but I still find the speakerphone useless. I also started getting the white screen after loading DateBk 5.4a, however removing it with Uninstaller didn't change anything which leads me to believe it was simply a coincidence. On the plus side, my phone startup time has decreased from approximately 25 seconds to under 10 seconds. Overall I am very pleased with the device but will wait anxiously for an update.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry
    So far, the only two bugs I've experienced with my Sprint PCS Treo 700P are:
    1). The bassackward way new customers and their orders are handled by Sprint.
    2). Employees who receive a paycheck from Sprint to be inept!

You should see how they treat a high value customer without a contract. No Better. If it wasn't low cost, I woudl skate. Can not beat the price though, so I out up with the morons. I just do not order anything new and I stay out of trouble. Also stsy awaya from the store.
    I am on my third Treo700p and have had the same problem each time....resets out of nowhere even when im on a call, the error log (##733#) reads tht HTC error telephony that i posted prior...I REFUSE to believe that three phones call all be bad and have the exact same error... the ONLY other thing that occured to me today was that MAYBE since i had a treo 650 before and the software installed from 700p basically updated the cd stuff, could it be possible something that is auotmatically hotsyning is causing this? because its awlays an UNKNOWN application that causes the reset or so says the error log. How do i fix this...it gets to the point everytiem eventually that my phone stops completely from getting anything incoming (calls, texts, voicmails) UNLESS im ON the phone, another words i can make an outgoing call and then ill get a call waiting but otherwise i dont get any incoming calls at all, whoever calls me gets 4-6 rings and my voicemails but i get NO incoming call...what do i do i desperately need help if someone call message me in detail ...im me at smoothtalker1982...just doesnt seem like anyone else is having the same problem and i know many of u have upgraded from the 650 so why me???
    Dude, do a hard reset. On your PC, REMOVE or rename all old palm/palmone folders ro something.old and then reinstall the palmdesktop. Start fresh. Wipe out your SD also. Then install the pogs you want. Not from back ups. I mean fresh like in FRESH. See if you have conflicts. Keep it to bare minimums for awhile and then add one program ata time. Read forums and find what works.
    Hope that will work for you.
    I love my Treo700P. I only have one annoying issue.

At times (5 times this week), the keyboard stops working. The screen works, but the none of the keys work. The only way out is a soft reset or wait for about 2 minutes. Unlike weisshb, I did not have this problem only in Pics&Videos. It happened to me in contacts and Versamail (from what I can remember). [Edit:] FYI: This also happened to me on the day I got the phone (with no 3rd party software - only my SD card inserted).

I do not have too many 3rd party software (only KeyCaps, FieldsPlus, Dir Assist, Bob's Alarm, and Flight Status). I do have a SD card, but only games are installed there.

Anyone else having this issue? Should I try another 700p?

Quote Originally Posted by weisshb
    Anyone else run into this? As soon as I start Pics&Videos the screen turn white and all keys are inoperative no matter how long I wait. Only solution is to do a soft reset. Something must be creating a conflict as the app use to run but now never does. Any ideas?
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast