Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargedvenom
    Other problems I have encountered, Volume control when on a call doesn't work, It does work when I'm on a call with my BT headset. Alot of text messages I get Lock up the phone as soon as they come in.
    try this turn off the bluetooth and see if you still get lock ups i had that issue i changed bluethooths and so far so good do you get the lock ups all the time? or only when the bluetooth is connected?
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    Huh, I wonder why it's not working on mine. I guess I'll play around with the *82 a bit (i.e., followed by a dash, no space, etc.) and see what happens.
    Another way to do this for calls is to use a 3rd party app like TakePhone. I use the calling card feature to add *82 to all numbers from my TakePhone address book to reveal my number. When I want to dial anonymously, I use the Treo app (either dialer or contacts). For me this works well because I mostly want to be anonymous when returning pages which come in as text messages and that uses the native dialer.

When you select a contact or phone number in the TakePhone address book, you can select SMS rather than dial. Maybe this will work the same way if you find a way to change your default SMS texting to anonymous the same way Sprint allows you to set your default dialing to anonymous.
    Quote Originally Posted by NormG1
    Yes I have EVDO, the little blue triangle above the connection bars is Blue.
    Yes, cable costs money, but basic cable is like $15 a month. SprintTV, just to get say CNN for news is like $7 a month per channel.

Palm Desktop supports the Mac. 100% cross platfrom compatible.
    MAC
    I totally agree about the Mac support. I've recorded voice memos fine but they don't back up. Pehaps Apple will fix. Clumsy workaround: record video instead--that you can at least back up. But you still can't copy non-mp3 sound file to Treo.

EVDO
    I too was finding that after initially noting good speed improvement, it became very slow. This is in NYC--definitely have EVDO signal. When I use force EVDO immediate improvement of 4-5x the speed I would estimate. Looks like they need a better algorithm to switch between EVDO and 1xRTT. Meanwhile if you can afford to have calls / SMS go to voicemail for 10-20 mins, force EVDO while you download your email, check a few websites, then return to "automatic" status again. In that mode I find it takes 20-30 seconds to download a typical 300kb website, with a lot of graphics (nytimes, cnn, etc.).
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoTheo
    Another way to do this for calls is to use a 3rd party app like TakePhone. I use the calling card feature to add *82 to all numbers from my TakePhone address book to reveal my number. When I want to dial anonymously, I use the Treo app (either dialer or contacts). For me this works well because I mostly want to be anonymous when returning pages which come in as text messages and that uses the native dialer.

When you select a contact or phone number in the TakePhone address book, you can select SMS rather than dial. Maybe this will work the same way if you find a way to change your default SMS texting to anonymous the same way Sprint allows you to set your default dialing to anonymous.
    I'll give it a shot, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by NormG1
    I used Teal Mover and Teal Alias from Tealpoint Software to get programs to run from the SD Card. It moves the app to the card to free up phone memory and then loads it from the card when you want to use it. Highly recommended.
    Yes, there are hacks and kludges like this all over - Powerrun is a favorite of mine. But they are all miserable and trouble-plagued workarounds for the oversight of insufficient RAM. People have even figured out ways to get RAM-resident databases to run off the card - but there's *no way* I want to rely on the stability of the connection to the SDIO slot to remain solid enough to avoid corrupting 10 years of collected databases.

IMHO Palm should have just plopped a 128MB chip into the Treo 650, made whatever OS changes were necessary to accomodate it and leave it be. Instead (of course), they gave us a proper amount of RAM - but then mucked around with the buttons, usability, and the few other things they had actually *improved* upon releasing the 650.

Although the insufficient RAM of the 650 will likely prevent me from ever going back, here are a few things that I absolutely hate about the 700p:

1) Massively screwing around the button arrangement so that anyone upgrading from the 650, 600 or any previous Treo would have yet *another* steep learning curve. The *****(s) at Palm that decided to stick the menu key all the way at the bottom again should be fired immediately - moving it up was one of the few *improvements* to the Treo 650, and the reversion makes no sense. Overall, every new Treo's keyboard seems to be designed as though there was no previous model - these same monkeys would probably be on "Graffiti 27" if left in charge of *THAT* input project.

2) Ridiculously long delays while switching applications. We're used to being "Beta Testers" for Palm - but just once couldn't it be hyperbole?

3) *STILL* no reset hole that is easily accessible. Would it kill Palm to acknowledge that sometimes Treos freeze up, and at awkward times when both hands aren't easily available for extended periods (cough..driving...cough). Seidio has been getting $10 bucks apiece for essentially a drilled hole to accomplish this goal (without voiding the warranty).

4) WTF is the "home" button doing on Hardware #4 now? Does Palm just create the keyboard layout for each Treo model by throwing darts at a wall? Has ergonomic thinking never penetrated the brainstems of the "designers" there - basic common sense would put the often-used buttons more easily accessible to the thumb than least-used. If you absolutely *must* hijack a hardware button for a commonly-used task - make it hardware #2.

5) Why-Why-Why no access to the button configurations yet? We've had it since 1996 on PDAs, yet we have to rely on somewhat buggy and insufficient hacks (Ludus) to override the default Palm gives us of "no choice." I'm sure left-handed people would be reason enough to fix this issue, although they aren't the "majority of the marketplace" that seems to be Palm's excuse for every lousy design move.

6) The 700p ROM is full of all sorts of garbage, including applications that create buggy databases of their own - for the life of the 700p. (my reference is the Sprint version) These include:

a) Quick Tour (ok, I'll accept this for n00bs - nice to have a guaranteed way to consistently have the phone explain itself to anyone at any time).
    b) Documents to Go 8.001 (2 versions old already)
    c) Downloads (probably required by Sprint). Appears to be a program called "Add It." Shortcut to a very limited number of mostly irrelevent and overpriced applications served up by Handango. This monster creates craploads of unnecessary databases in the RAM and you can't delete them - they apparently recreate themselves on every reset.
    d) Get BC (why do I have to look at this shortcut?)
    e) Get Good (again, why do I need this ad in my face?)
    f) On Demand (OEM version of "Handmark Express" - creates a load of large databases in your RAM)
    g) My Treo - this seems marginally useful, but could be optional
    h) Pockettunes 3.09 - nice - an old version of a program that commonly releases updates. Nice idea to have it permanently stuck in ROM.
    I) Sprint TV. Who uses this, really? And is it that hard to load it from the CD?

There are more, but in less than a week these are painfully obvious to me. For expectations of $619.00 plus tax, I would think Palm could do better after years of making these.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    a) Quick Tour (ok, I'll accept this for n00bs - nice to have a guaranteed way to consistently have the phone explain itself to anyone at any time).
    b) Documents to Go 8.001 (2 versions old already)
    c) Downloads (probably required by Sprint). Appears to be a program called "Add It." Shortcut to a very limited number of mostly irrelevent and overpriced applications served up by Handango. This monster creates craploads of unnecessary databases in the RAM and you can't delete them - they apparently recreate themselves on every reset.
    d) Get BC (why do I have to look at this shortcut?)
    e) Get Good (again, why do I need this ad in my face?)
    f) On Demand (OEM version of "Handmark Express" - creates a load of large databases in your RAM)
    g) My Treo - this seems marginally useful, but could be optional
    h) Pockettunes 3.09 - nice - an old version of a program that commonly releases updates. Nice idea to have it permanently stuck in ROM.
    I) Sprint TV. Who uses this, really? And is it that hard to load it from the CD?
    I could spend all day replying point-by-point to what you wrote (I agree with some of it, thought not all of it..) .. but to solve the problem of the clutter on the apps screen by icons for programs you never use, go to palmosters.com or TC's software store powered by MobiHand (I think it's there too..) .. and get their FastHide program. It'll nicely solve the problem. It won't remove the programs or their databases from ROM or RAM or anywhere else, just hide their icons without leaving any gaps where they used to be. It'll even hide its own icon and put it into the Preferences screen as "Hidden Apps" if you want it to.

Very handy little utility.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    This really steamed me when I first got it. Palm's support is really arrogant to send this kind of crap out automatically. Why don't they publish their known problem list so we can quit trying to debug problems. Our time is valuable too.

Good day to you, John! The symptoms you are experiencing with your Treo smartphone appears, at this point, to be an isolated issue. They are likely caused by an error in the smartphone’s operating system (Palm OS®). The errors themselves can be caused by incompatible third-party applications that were not designed for the Treo 700p. You will need to reload the operating system back to its default manufacturer settings without these third-party applications installed, and start clean.

They then went on to give me blow by blow details on hour to restore the phone to factory default software. That did not fix the bluetooth problems. And most of the problems I experienced still happen with the factory setup.

If anyone from Palm is monitoring these forums. You are really screwing things up by being so uninformative about the problems.

And don't add that damned paragraph about not resending your crap. I never agreed to that and it's not legally enforceable. Using this type of thing to hide your poor customer service only makes you look worse.

Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    I could spend all day replying point-by-point to what you wrote (I agree with some of it, thought not all of it..) .. but to solve the problem of the clutter on the apps screen by icons for programs you never use, go to palmosters.com or TC's software store powered by MobiHand (I think it's there too..) .. and get their FastHide program. It'll nicely solve the problem. It won't remove the programs or their databases from ROM or RAM or anywhere else, just hide their icons without leaving any gaps where they used to be. It'll even hide its own icon and put it into the Preferences screen as "Hidden Apps" if you want it to.

Very handy little utility.

Harv

I just reassigned everything. All the icons I want in MAIN and all the others in any other one.

How long till we can roll our own custom os to remove what we dont want/need? Shadowmite? Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    I just put them in "Unfiled" category, which does not come up when using the hard key to scroll through the categories.
    when you recieve a picture message you get a small pad lock on the right hand corner .
    You can not set that picture as a caller id picture nor can you send it . i will reset your treo. tje only thing you can do with this picture is look at it.
    Did not do this on the 650
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    Hey - I'd like to download my phone log but freaking sprint says it's not possible. Suggestions? I'm running a MAC OSX system. Also what is the stupid reason for SpRint not being able to provide incoming call phone numbers on their invoices? Tmobile does it so does AT&T...ridiculous.
    My Sprint 700p had lots of issues most of them i was able to solve, some are still around but will call CS and see what happens. I upgraded from a Verizon T600 and learning curve to new button layout was not steep, I actualy prefer the new version.

Frequent reboot, slugish response, and blank screens: I remembered my Tungsten T3 had some weird behaviour I narrowed down to sync to multiple computers. I synced at work (PC) and home (Mac). At home I had PDA overwrites Mac but still caused problems. I did a hard reset and only sync to PC. The slugish response is MOSTLY gone but my T600 still switches faster. The reboots are also mostly gone, see below.

Bluetooth: I too get the headset symbol with no sound nor the ability to switch. I can hang up the conversation with the headset. I have used two model/manuacturers of headsets with same result.
    If I open TomTom Naviator with BT off, it asks to turn it on, if I say yes, it will reboot and the SD card is not recognized. I then eject/insert SD and is all good.
    BT file transfer often times out. BT off/on re-establishes functionality.

SD: Often it disapears from system. Moving with the home key to the various app list does not show apps in SD. Must eject/insert and it works. It all started after the first hard reset. I even tried a second SD (256MB and 2GB). This is what I plan to call Sprint CS about.

Battery: I too had one day of battery drain. The phone was hot to touch. I remembered that happened on my Verizon Audivox phone and a friend's LG. After a few hours it was back to "normal". It is still very poor. It lasts about 24 Hrs standby.

EVDO: It seems to be available in my area but it does not work. After I noticed the symbol showing once in a while (with good signal), I forced EVDO and it's strong but roaming. Login then fails (error 67). I'll call CS on this one too.

Speaker: lame

Camera: I wish it had an adjustment for lighting conditions

WiFi: I can't believe the 700w has it but not the 700p. If Sprint gets the 700w, I'll probably switch on principle.

Memory: AWESOME!

Apps: SD: TomTom Navigator, TCPMP, BibleReader
    RAM: GlimrMail, Resco Explorer

GlimrMail was in the SD and a lot of Docs to Go I have not restored to the SD since the hard reset. I also had voice dial and filez in the SD that have not re-installed.

I too have gotten the phone does not ring thing even though within a 4 bar area and some old vmails delivered after a soft reset.
    This isn't a complaint but is actually a "bug". After watching streaming video using Kinoma the unit WILL NOT TURN OFF. I can go back to the applications launcher or to the phone application, but I cannot shut off the screen or the phone with the power button. I have to do a soft reset to get the unit to respond to the red power button. I'm on my 3rd 700P (for unrelated issues) and it worked this way on all 3, so it isn't because of a specific defective phone, but is in fact a "bug".
    When exiting the Memo Pad or To Do list using the Home key, it switches categories before exiting. Exiting these apps any other way (hitting any other hard key) works fine. Kind of a nuisance when you go back to the Memo Pad or your To Do list and you are in a different category....
    - The backlight does not turn back on after ending a long phone conversation. Even after several tries of pressing the "power" button on and off. I think I have found a workaround, which is going to "Preference" / "Power", and manually slide the display bar to get the phone to turn the backlight on again.

- I use mobile.msn.com to check for my hotmail. I noticed that the "To:" address field does not clear from a previous email I sent. For example, I click the "Reply" button to reply an email, instead of the "To:" field filled like normal with the sender's email address, it pre-fills the "To:" field with the email address of a someone I sent email to previously. It appears that Blazer somehow auto-completes that field with previously stored values. The workaround for this is to clear cache.

Not sure if someone else experienced these issues before.
    does everyone else hear like a hissing type noise in the background when using the speaker on the treo 700p?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    My palm calendar alarm has caused reboots since day one. I have just basic stuff installed, e.g., snapper, mergic, card reader, mobileclock.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Is it me ? or do messages sent with picture mail don't show up under Sent ???

If they are supposed to do so, what am I doing wrong??

Thanks
    Last edited by howiej1; 08/02/2006 at 05:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    5) Why-Why-Why no access to the button configurations yet? We've had it since 1996 on PDAs, yet we have to rely on somewhat buggy and insufficient hacks (Ludus) to override the default Palm gives us of "no choice." I'm sure left-handed people would be reason enough to fix this issue, although they aren't the "majority of the marketplace" that seems to be Palm's excuse for every lousy design move.
    What makes me extra crazy about this is they let you configure a few buttons, just not all of them. It makes no sense that they feel we can handle it for a 3 of the buttons and not all 4.

And since the added the ability to do Option+___ I think they should have let us do the Option+____ for a few more buttons (shift, alt, menu, alt, etc).

And of course the green and red buttons too.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    After reading all of this, i am not sure if i want to get this model. It seems to me that you guys are unhappy with the phone at all. Do Treos have a softwear updates like any other phone does?