1.    #1  
    I installed the Sprint CD (Hotsync manager 6.0.1) on Win XP SP2. The windows device manager sees the "Palm Handheld" just fine, i can hear the device being detected.

When i initiate a hotsync, I hear the "disconnect/connect" sounds from the treo as well as XP, but hotsync doesn't trigger. I've reinstalled, selected "local USB", tried different cables, tried syncing someone's 650, installed software from palm directly, disabled firewalls, rebooted XP, installed it on a different computer (Windows MCE 2005), hard resetted, soft resetted... same result. A few more hours of this and i'm going to format and reinstall XP... (i was able to hotsync on somebody else's win2k/650 setup, so there must be something i'm specifically doing wrong)

Of anything, I thought this would be the no-brainer... anybody have any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs112
    I installed the Sprint CD (Hotsync manager 6.0.1) on Win XP SP2. The windows device manager sees the "Palm Handheld" just fine, i can hear the device being detected.

When i initiate a hotsync, I hear the "disconnect/connect" sounds from the treo as well as XP, but hotsync doesn't trigger. I've reinstalled, selected "local USB", tried different cables, tried syncing someone's 650, installed software from palm directly, disabled firewalls, rebooted XP, installed it on a different computer (Windows MCE 2005), hard resetted, soft resetted... same result. A few more hours of this and i'm going to format and reinstall XP... (i was able to hotsync on somebody else's win2k/650 setup, so there must be something i'm specifically doing wrong)

Of anything, I thought this would be the no-brainer... anybody have any advice?
    Do you have anything else USB you can try to verify it isn't that? Do you have any computers available with Bluetooth to try to sync that way (it is painfully slow but is something else to try)? How about an IR port? I'm not an expert but I can try to help.
  3.    #3  
    All other usb devices work fine, printer, webcam.. i unplugged everything, i'm not using a usb hub, windows detects the treo fine, hotsync just refuses to fire up. I don't have BT or IR.
    Sounds like HotSync problem then. I'd say uninstall Palm desktop, reboot, reinstall, reboot. If you have tried that in that order, my guess is it is the cable. The cable I got with my 650 was junk right out of the box (it did the first HotSync fine but after that it acted just like what you are describing.) Also the other cable you tried, was it for a 700p?
  5.    #5  
    the other cable was for a 650, but it hotsync'ed just fine, but didn't work on my XP or MCE... i've tried every permutation of computers, treos, and cables... the hotsync manager hates me, i have to manually copy the prc/pdb's from the "Install" folder of the manager, it's such a hassle, but it will do for now i guess
    The hotsync button on my SPE retractable USB cable for the Treo 650 does not work with my 700p. [correction (6/6/06): another SPE retractable USB cable is now working with my 700p]

If I connect to my laptop with USB cable that came with the 700p & push its button, it works just fine. The retractable cable I used with my 650 will charge the 700p, but the button "no worky." I tried fiddling with it a bit just to see if it was not connecting fully...but it feels like it snaps in place just fine. Could they changed something in the not-so-universal connector?!@#$@#$@!#!? Arrrgh. Hopefully this is an abberation. Otherwise, we'll have to buy new synch cables for the 700p.
    Last edited by 4spammers; 06/06/2006 at 11:18 PM.
    Funny you say that 4spammers, my 650 Cable works great, my 700p cable fails at life.
    I'm having a similar problem. I can't hotsync on my desktop WinXP Pro machine but I can on my laptop running WinXP MCE. Same cable, but for some reason it's not working on the one.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Had trouble hotysnching, tried another cable, seemed to fix it.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I'm running into a strange issue (after I upgraded TT5 - coincidence?). Whenever I synch now, it seems to go through much of the process but then the handheld reports "Synchronizing tasks" and the desktop Hotsynch Progress status reports "Backing up Handheld Databases" and never seems to end. The progress indicator keeps moving and the task manager shows it running but it has gone over an hour and still doesn't complete -- I have to end the process thru the task manager and the status log reports the last synch to be yesterday when I loaded the TT5 upgrade.

Anyone know what's going on?
    I got a second SPE retractable cable in the mail (had ordered before I thought there was a problem)...and it works. Go figure.

So, my final answer: the SPE retractable sync/charge cable is working with my 700p.
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p