1.    #1  
    Hope this hasn't already been answered, but here's my question...

I've been using the new Missing Sync 5.1 (with new Intel Mac) to sync my older Treo 650 for a few weeks now. I just bought a 700p from Sprint and am wondering how I should go about setting it up. Will syncing it the first time using the CD that came in the box (using Palm conduits, I suspect) screw up Missing Sync? Should I just try syncing directly with Missing Sync and not use the CD software at all? Any guidance would be much appreciated..
    I use the missing sync with my 700p and mac powerbook. No additional software required. I would suggest doing a clean install though. Delete the backup folder and start from scratch. You can then install your programs one by one to ensure they work properly.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccotnoir
    I use the missing sync with my 700p and mac powerbook. No additional software required. I would suggest doing a clean install though. Delete the backup folder and start from scratch. You can then install your programs one by one to ensure they work properly.
    For someone who's new to Macs, can you explain what you mean by a clean install? Where is the backup folder? And how did you wind up transferring all of your calendar items and address book?

Thanks very much--sorry to be dumb.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    We're all new once.

A clean install refers to uninstalling the missing sync software and then reinstalling it. The uninstaller can be found in ~/applications/missing_sync_for_palm_os/

Your backup folder is located here: ~/users/username/documents/palm/users/hotsync name/backups

Yours best bet is to back everything up before you start. This means making a copy of the following:

The folder: ~/users/username/documents/palm/users/hotsync name
    iCal: File -> Backup Database
    Address Book: File -> Backup Addressbook

Put these files somewhere you'll remember them like on your desktop then do as ccotnoir instructed. You don't have to backup, but if something goes wrong it'll ensure that someone here at the forums can help you with any problems later down the line.
    Thanks Fly. I actually should have been a bit more clear.

While I'm here, wondering if either of you use the salling clicker. I haven't had success with my 700P and just wondering if anybody else has. I did email the developer, but just seeing if I can get some joy here.
    I hate to ask the same thing again and again. i see alot of posts on the 700p forum but looking for step by step instructions on how to go from 650 to 700p with mac. i use missing sync and would like to keep my same user id
    thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I never had any luck syncing my 650 to my Mac (using Missing Sync) along with syncing to a windows XP machine (established first on the PC, then bought a Mac). So, I kept it with the PC. If I buy the 700P, I'd like to make the jump to syncing (reliably) with my Mac. That way, I will only be using the PC for Windows updates and virus updates

Any suggestions from anyone?
    fly - Did you notice on the 700P Missing Sync created an extra "Work" number for every contact?
    You don't really need to do a clean install of the Missing Sync application to migrate from the 650 to the 700p, but it is recommended to do a clean install of the Missing Sync user profile.

In other words, all you really have to do before attempting to sync with the 700p for the first time, is to change your existing profile name to something else, (eg. "Your Name" to "Your Name old"). Then, connect your 700p to the Mac, and sync. Missing Sync will ask you whether you want to sync to the "Your Name old" profile, or create a new profile -- select new, and use the "Your Name" that you normally prefer.

Missing Sync will then proceed to set up a new sync profile for you. After the initial sync, you can proceed to intsall your old Palm apps one by one, from the backup folder of your "Your Name old" user folder.

This way, you're not attempting to install a bunch of legacy files from your 650 onto your 700p.
    Has anyone had success with using missing syc and 700P?

I only have my data on Palm desktop and have been unsucessful at getting the mac to overwrite the handheld.
    No, I guess I am the only one with the problem syncing with the Missing Sync?

Did anybody get an extra "Work Number"
    Quote Originally Posted by fly888
    You don't have to backup, but if something goes wrong it'll ensure that someone here at the forums can help you with any problems later down the line.

A wise suggestion! Backing up while you are setting up missing sync could be a lifesaver.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    XistBoi,

I get all sorts of wierd things with Missing Sync, which is why I quit syncing to my Mac. The thing I see most often is not a duplicate work number, but a partial duplicate work address, normally just the city. It's wierd.
    try shutting off the sync services in your system preferences. Sync services competes with missing sync and can cause duplicates.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I thought the advantage of the latest Missing Sync was that it used sync services, versus iSync.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccotnoir
    While I'm here, wondering if either of you use the salling clicker.
    Salling Clicker doesn't work well with any of the Treos; this is because the Treo 650 and 700p/w only support a few Bluetooth profiles, whereas many other phones (especially Nokias) support a whole fleeet of Bluetooth profiles. This is a limitation of how the phone and Palm OS interface, and probably nothing short of a complete OS overhaul (or switch) will change this situation on Treos.

(Hence why there was much disappointment when it was revealed that the Treo 700p would still be running Palm OS 5.4.9 [Garnet].)
    Quote Originally Posted by XistBoi
    No, I guess I am the only one with the problem syncing with the Missing Sync? Did anybody get an extra "Work Number"
    Hey -- just browsing other threads. I am having the same "extra work number" problem ... seems that MS is putting email addresses in the "work" or "home" phone fields ...

Aside from looks and ease of finding a phone number, ChatterEmail won't recognize any of the email address in my address book.

Any fix for this yet ? Others having same problem ?

D
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase
    In other words, all you really have to do before attempting to sync with the 700p for the first time, is to change your existing profile name to something else, (eg. "Your Name" to "Your Name old"). Then, connect your 700p to the Mac, and sync. Missing Sync will ask you whether you want to sync to the "Your Name old" profile, or create a new profile -- select new, and use the "Your Name" that you normally prefer.
    Long time member and lurker, infrequent poster... and soon-to-be 700p owner. Headcase, I'm wondering... with the steps you outline here, I can see how it'll help with application installation (like those that are registered with codes tied to your current HotSync ID), but how does it transfer your data -- datebook, address book, etc.? The new "Your Name" profile you create would be empty, wouldn't it?
    Your datebook and contacts come from your iCal and Address Book applications, as part of the syncing. So no, your new profile won't be "empty".
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase
    Your datebook and contacts come from your iCal and Address Book applications, as part of the syncing. So no, your new profile won't be "empty".
    Thanks, Headcase, with your 'Migrate 101' post. I did one last sync on my 650, renamed the device in Missing Sync, then plugged in the 700p and hit the Hotsync button. It asked what to do, I created a new device (but giving it my old device's Hotsync ID), and a few minutes later, all was well!

I've now been adding my various apps one at a time. Most work. A good strategy, since it forced me to visit vendor sites, where I found many have been updated since I put them on my 650.

After a few relatively quick, good syncs, though, I'm now crashing Missing Sync reliably. It chokes on Markspace Events. I thought it was because I had too many entries, so I've reduced the window ("Ignore desktop events older than... 1 year, 6 months, 4 weeks...") all the way down to 1 week... and it still takes 10 minutes to try and grind through it, then dies -- prompting an error report to MarkSpace. I've even set Missing Sync to only do the Events conduit, to no avail. Going to see if support has any ideas... unless anyone here does.

At least all my datebook and contact and other information synced correctly once!