Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can access my work email externally as long as I can set up a secure (SSL) IMAP4 protocol. Has anyone tried this on a 700p? Does it work for both sending and receiving?

Thanks,

Codedancer
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I've used IMAP-SSL for incoming mail and SMTP-TLS for outgoing mail with SnapperMail. Works quite well, but the required "enterprise" edition is a bit expensive. Don't know how VersaMail stacks up these days.

Chatter also can do IMAP-SSL, with background IDLE support, and lots of folks swear by it.
  3.    #3  
    That's good to know. I was referring to the built-in VersaMail but its nice to know there are alternatives.

Thanks,

Codedancer
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, I haven't received my 700p yet, otherwise I'd tell you.

The last version of VersaMail I used was fairly hokey. I think it was 3.0 or so. It supported IMAP, but if you enabled SSL, you could not set that account to auto-retrieve. It also seemed to treat it like a POP account, rather than doing real IMAP syncing. This was quite a while ago, though, and maybe they've improved it.

Anyone with a 700p use IMAP-SSL on VersaMail?
    I tried using Imap with and without SSL and it was unusable for me. It took forever(as in 3 to 4 mins) to search for and retrieve new messages. Luckily, the mail server can be accessed using Pop or Imap so I just switched to Pop. Now only takes a few seconds retrive mail but no folder options are available. Probably going to try Chatter tonight.
    Chatter works great on the 700.
    definately cant go wrong with chatter
    what version of versamail is on treo 700p?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    what version of versamail is on treo 700p?
    I've been using snappermail for IMAP for some time, and couldn't be happier. Can't remember all the reasons as it was over a year ago, but I liked it better than Chatter.

Has anyone tried to get Snapper on their 700p yet? I'm just getting mine set up now, and haven't tried Snapper yet.
    I just setup my gmail account to foward email to a free fastmail account and now I'm in heaven with chatter. Below is the thread I used for help.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=94243
    Arimanius -

does chatteremail with an imap fastmail account get you push email like with emailtreo.com?

i already have a fastmail account but wasn't sure if it supports the idle feature that is needed or not.

thanks.
    i use chatter with my fastmail account, everything is instant i dont have to set my fastmail account to forward anything , chatter pretty much takes care of everything
    VersaMail supports IMAP with SSL. I have been using it on my Treo 650 for several months. I have now switched to 700p and everything works fine.
    Snappermail works fine on my new 700p, supports IMAP 4 and does push (with the enterprise verison).
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Dog Doc
    Snappermail works fine on my new 700p, supports IMAP 4 and does push (with the enterprise verison).
    I much prefer Snapper to Versamail - have used Snapper for years and tried Versamail and had enough after a few days with my 700p.

One issue I am having is getting e-mail deleted off my server using IMAP. Worked fine on the 600 with Snapper with same settings. I'm thinking I may have some setting incorrect. Snapper marks for deletion and the item shows as marked for deletion on the server but doesn't get removed?

Put an email into Snapper support to ask. Anyone else run into this?
    One more addition to this thread to suggest CHATTER.

I used Snapper for a while. It really is not in the same league as Chatter.

Give it a chance. You'll switch and be very happy to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MHR
    One more addition to this thread to suggest CHATTER.

I used Snapper for a while. It really is not in the same league as Chatter.

Give it a chance. You'll switch and be very happy to pay for it.
    Agreed - just be sure you have plenty of battery capacity and can recharge daily (assuming you use an online IMAP account for full push email).
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I have licenses for both Snapper and Chatter. They are both excellent programs. Historically, Snapper has been more stable for me, so it's mainly the one I use. I don't think it has ever caused my phone to reset, which I can't say about Chatter. It's a cryin' shame that it doesn't do push like Chatter.
    Any other noticebale upgrades with Versamail?? I love chattermail!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast