Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Thanks all for the tips on Palm Internals. I couln't get it to work perfectly so I just started doing speed tests and removing programs. First test was 8100 in 87 sec. I removed field plus an was then 500ish in 51 sec. Then I disable keycaps and then...100 in 1 sec!! So now I'm back on the side of the fence that keycaps may be a problem. And remember I went back, deleted older version and redownloaded the newest version. Of course just did this speed test so to early to tell if it will make a difference to my "perceived" speed. But surely 100 in 1 sec has got to be better than 8000 in 87 sec. Will keep you posted....I am going to miss key caps!
    D
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstevens
    Do you think this could be a carrier issue with what is loaded in ROM (carrier specific programs)? Are those that are not having issues on Verizon vs. Sprint?
    This is a good question. I'm on Sprint. Everyone else with problems (or no problems) what carrier are you with?
    Keycaps...are you running the 'fast version' talked about here...

Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    True KeyCaps did cause slow downs until Doomsey modified the version (It was talked about in the link you posted), which you can get HERE The original version is the link posted earlier in this thread post #5. I am currently using version 0.9.1.b1 BETA on my 650 would love to hear how it performs on a 700

Hope this helps everybody with the slow downs
    More on Keycaps in this thread...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=115895
    Regarding my carrier--I am on Sprint. I am running the faster version of Keycaps. Still not convinced Keycaps is the culprit, but when I disabled it I scored the fastest speed test via palm internals as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I was just using my Treo "real life" as physician for the Special Olympics and as soon as I turned it on to look up a drug the treo froze on the "dreaded white page" and required a soft reset. NOT COOL! So I think the probs are more than key caps. I still have only about 27 MB of memory avail and will work on reducing that later this weekend (but I shouldn't have to!!). Any other thoughts about On Demand causing problems? I have it set to update every 12hrs--though I JUST did that yesterday and have been running slower for several days now.
    D
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Well, PalmInternals has been very helpful and actually pointed to more problems than just data access speeds I got from pBench. Here's how: PalmInternals showed me all the 'hede' apps on my 700p, for me these were Uninstaller Manager, Butler, and Pref Doctor. I decided to delete all three of them and reboot. After doing so my 700p was immediately snappier so I tested the speed via PalmInternals: from 4 seconds to 1!!!! I was very pleased so I tried pBench's test and found that my data access percentage was still low around 500. Verdict? There are several ways that the phone can be slow but I haven't really figured out how to increase my data access percentage. Thoughts?
    Data access around 500? Yikes. Nearly 1400 on my loaded 650. Palm needs to patch whatever problem is causing the 700p's to run so incredibly slowly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jefferson
    when the 700w first came out the Verizon store manager let me play around with his for a half hour... it was overclocked and was blindingly fast.
    Ok, you have to stop the caffiene. There is no PDA/phone which is blindingly fast. That is just not the case. They are all slow.
    Versamail could be part of the problem.
    As soon as I add a versamail account to my device after a hard reset, I experience the "sprint" label appearance lag on the phone screen.
    Are any fast treos using versamail?

Edit: BizConn also gives me the same issue, but Chattermail works perfectly w/ no slowdown. Looks like I'm using Chatter until a firmware change comes down the pipe.
    Last edited by Miggy; 06/03/2006 at 08:19 PM.
    Slow 700p. Sprint. Palminternals shows 89 sec(!!!!!) but the 'notif' button doesn't work at all. 650 with same apps showed 13 seconds. 700p after a warm reset shows 1 second.

Here's a thought:

DTG running from ROM loads instantly. When loaded from RAM, it takes several seconds. Can others confirm? Does this mean pTunes from ROM wouldn't skip?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    It seems like Butler may be a serious culprit. Like I said, after I got rid of it (to my displeasure because I love it) my 700p was usable again.
    This is just not acceptable. The 700p is painfully slow switching between applications. I compared my 600 fully loaded (23 apps) alongside the 700 with no apps (default ones) and the 600 outperformed it by at least 2 times just switching apse. How on earth is this supposed to by the latest and the greatest of the Treo's. I can also confirm that the 700 p will continue to slow down even more as data builds up in its RAM. The more apps I add the worst it gets.
    I truly think we should some how formalize these reports and coordinate some communication process with Palm. Otherwise, it might be a waste of time complaining about it here and stopping there.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    WOW where did you hear that. I have read every overclocking thread here and never heard that. My 650 was overclocked for 20 months and running strong.

Many people ASK if it shortens life but I challenge you to find one post where it has.

Well, that's great news.. because if that's true I'm tempted to get a 700W and do that to it..

... but what I'd heard is that, in general, when you overclock any kind of processor, it really raises the operating temperature of it and I guess burns it up slowly... probably an extreme case of waaay overclocking.

.. but thanks for that input - I really think I'll try that.

I waited for the 700p but with all the BT problems I'm hearing about, no way.
    BT is way to important to struggle with it again.. and I DID pair my HBH-300 with his w, worked fantastically well.

-Hank
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    Versamail could be part of the problem.
    As soon as I add a versamail account to my device after a hard reset, I experience the "sprint" label appearance lag on the phone screen.
    Are any fast treos using versamail?

Edit: BizConn also gives me the same issue, but Chattermail works perfectly w/ no slowdown. Looks like I'm using Chatter until a firmware change comes down the pipe.
    Nope. VersaMail isn't the problem. The problem appears to be from using the memory. The 700p is still slower than the 650 after a hard reset, but it gets painfully slow after you start adding anything into memory, even non-hede hooking apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnewtonne
    the 600 outperformed it by at least 2 times just switching apse.
    The memory structure of the 600 is the old school type where applications were already in the same fast, volatile memory space where they execute, thus they switched very quickly. All Palm devices since 2004 have had a different structure where applications need to be loaded from slower flash memory (the 700p is slightly different), so I think you in particular might be experiencing what a lot of us did when we switched from the 600 to the 650, because this thing is on par with the 650 when loading apps.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    No, the 700p isn't "on par" with the 650 in terms of speed. Nearly 1400 on the pbench test with my 650 and no one has even gotten close to that with a 700p. Even the stock phone app takes forever to load on the 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    No, the 700p isn't "on par" with the 650 in terms of speed. Nearly 1400 on the pbench test with my 650 and no one has even gotten close to that with a 700p. Even the stock phone app takes forever to load on the 700p.
    ok, I was talking about my experiences with application loading, not benchmarks. My applications load at almost identical time intervals compared to my 650 (when loading applications from ROM/memory). for the record, palminternals measures my speed at 246 tics in 3 seconds.
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    ok, I was talking about my experiences with application loading, not benchmarks. My applications load at almost identical time intervals compared to my 650 (when loading applications from ROM/memory). for the record, palminternals measures my speed at 246 tics in 3 seconds.
    What's your pbench score?
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    I understand this. Even though my 700p has a much lower data access score than my 650, after removing "hepe" programs like Butler and Pref Doctor, my speed on PalmInternals went to 1 second, and half of my apps loaded FASTER than my 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    I understand this. Even though my 700p has a much lower data access score than my 650, after removing "hepe" programs like Butler and Pref Doctor, my speed on PalmInternals went to 1 second, and half of my apps loaded FASTER than my 650.
    hepe? What's your pbench score on your 700p?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    hepe? What's your pbench score on your 700p?
    2kman, you are behind the times here, the computer industry has long known that benchmarks do not tell the whole story. And by the way, this pBench program is from 2003... surely this is far from an accurate barometer of performance.

As I've said before, I run Bike or Die. It is a VERY CPU intensive program, and when you install a hede-heavy application such as profilecare (an old version), you instantly see slowdown. On the 700p, the program runs silky smooth except for every once in a while, there's a random skip, which is consistent with what others are finding with MP3s and Pocket Tunes. This appears to me to be an issue, as the white screen of doom seems to be only occuring (for me, at least) with applications like Blazer which have a bad history of being stupid.

Others like Chazzan are finding that 3rd party programs may be to blame. I take offense in being called a fanboy in another thread simply because I think the numbers from this benchmark program are rubbish. Goes to show, look at my scores:
    Arith: 450, Heap: 355%, Data: 540%, Graphics: 963%

And yet, my 700p is not anywhere near twice as slow as my 650, which some of the benchmarks seem to imply.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast