Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    The 650 loaded with programs is still faster than the 700p with nothing loaded. I just did a hard reset on my 700p and tranferred pbench via IR. I got a score of 844% which is much slower than my loaded 650 which was 1382%.

It seems like the OS changes and the additional memory are really slowing down the 700p. Palm will probably release an update in a couple of months like they did with the 650.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Yeah, this thing is really bothering me. Frankly, between this and the battery life (the battery life on the 650 was AMAZING), I wish I had kept my 650. I have half a mind to return it and buy a 650 again. evdo's nice, although I don't browse all that much (mainly use it for e-mail). camera's nice, although I've personally never used it. More storage is worthless if it runs this slow, and I already owned ptunes and docstogo. Really, really disappointed right now.

This weekend or sometimes next week I'll probably clear it and try it fresh again. But Palm's needs to fix this, quick.

I've owned a t300, 600, and 650. But I never got any of them within a year of their release, so I've never been a Palm beta tester before. And I don't think I'll be getting one immediately after a release again.
    My 650 and 700 have mostly the same apps, fairly fully loaded.
    pbench results (data access):

650 940
    700 524

soft reset

650 903
    700 536

I might try a hard reset as well to see what the system does clean.

That's alot of slow!
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    JUST REMEMBER GUYS: I mentioned previously that after a hang on Blazer and then a subsequent reset EVERYTHING was snappier on the 700p so I tested it on pbench again-what did I get? almost 800!!! After about an hour of using it though the score went down and down until it reached about 400. Well, this morning it did the same thing...I had a fast 700p for about an hour again (It felt f***ing awesome btw). This proves that the 700p CAN be fast with all the programs loaded into it. So there must be some screwiness with the treos data management system. I'd love to figure this out!!!!!!!
    My phone was slow also, but after a softreset it would be fast again(scrolling on the home page was studdering,data rate was 1kb/sec). I narrowed it down to the SMS application, even after purging all messages, simply going into that app and then back out to any other app would cause everthing to slow down. Only a reboot would speed things up. So I cleaned up my contacts and it seems to have solved my problem. everythings speedy!
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomas316
    My phone was slow also, but after a softreset it would be fast again(scrolling on the home page was studdering,data rate was 1kb/sec). I narrowed it down to the SMS application, even after purging all messages, simply going into that app and then back out to any other app would cause everthing to slow down. Only a reboot would speed things up. So I cleaned up my contacts and it seems to have solved my problem. everythings speedy!
    That's weird, cause a simple reboot doesn't seem to do it for me. I actually seem to need a CRASH to make it speedy again. How are you resetting your device?
    yeah, reboot does nothing for me either
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    That's weird, cause a simple reboot doesn't seem to do it for me. I actually seem to need a CRASH to make it speedy again. How are you resetting your device?
    RNS:softreset. http://www.palmgear.com/?xyz=50830
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Just made an interesting discovery. Resetting the device does nothing to improve my data access speed, but clearing the cache in Blazer made a big difference (from 480 to 610). Your crashes from blazer probably are clearing the cache automatically. I guess I'm going to set Blazer to clear the cache upon exit. I like having the cached pages, but I guess I only really want the pages cached for that individual session (so I can back through pages without reloading them). I probably don't need Blazer to save the pages from session to session.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    JUST REMEMBER GUYS: I mentioned previously that after a hang on Blazer and then a subsequent reset EVERYTHING was snappier on the 700p so I tested it on pbench again-what did I get? almost 800!!! After about an hour of using it though the score went down and down until it reached about 400. Well, this morning it did the same thing...I had a fast 700p for about an hour again (It felt f***ing awesome btw). This proves that the 700p CAN be fast with all the programs loaded into it. So there must be some screwiness with the treos data management system. I'd love to figure this out!!!!!!!
    No offense, but who cares about 800? My 650 gets nearly 1400!! Even if Palm fixes the memory management problems, the 700p will still be slower than the 650.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Just installed pbench. cleared browser cache, Data Access 661%. I'm not sure what it was when off a hard reset. And like I said I don't want to re-set everything up again right now, but that seems bad.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    No offense, but who cares about 800? My 650 gets nearly 1400!! Even if Palm fixes the memory management problems, the 700p will still be slower than the 650.
    That's a good point but when it was at 800 it was VERY responsive and seemed faster than my 650 at 1000
    when the 700w first came out the Verizon store manager let me play around with his for a half hour... it was overclocked and was blindingly fast.
    I've heard overclocking definately shortens the life of a treo... any input on that?
    Any chance OnDemand is a factor? Seems to store up a lot of data. I'm going to delete all of the on demand files.
    I wonder if it's a default application running that's causing all the issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jefferson
    I've heard overclocking definately shortens the life of a treo... any input on that?
    WOW where did you hear that. I have read every overclocking thread here and never heard that. My 650 was overclocked for 20 months and running strong.

Many people ASK if it shortens life but I challenge you to find one post where it has.
    I dont understand how palm can take the treo 650 which was basicly years worth of improvements and fixes and and then gives us this 700p with all these nice features BUT WORTHLESS PERFORMANCE. I mean this thing is SLOW. And why on earth did they change the button placement.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstorm92
    I dont understand how palm can take the treo 650 which was basicly years worth of improvements and fixes and and then gives us this 700p with all these nice features BUT WORTHLESS PERFORMANCE. I mean this thing is SLOW. And why on earth did they change the button placement.
    I have hung up a couple of times but am just not seeing HUGE slow downs. I have lots of apps installed and it seems quicker than the 650 to me. Especially turning on and off and accessing recent calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstorm92
    Hi Coolstorm92 !!

What precisely is slow or slower than the 650? Many people have said it is much snappier. Did you upgrade from a 600 or 650 by just syncing to your userid or did you do the clean install?

Cheers, Perry.
    I have an activated 700p, wife's activated 650, and my deactivated 650. I can run some tests side by side and post vids if that would help.

So far, running apps off the card, the 700p is slow as molasses when compared to the 650.

Internet apps-Xiino is faster downloading espn.com but not appreciably.

This 700p is on the verge of being returned. I WANT TO LOVE THIS PHONE, but I can't find anything to like.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.