Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mal5z
    Mine is a little slow, but I'm not sure if I want to do a hard reset. I did a good, but not perfect, job of starting this 700p fresh and not just importing all the crap from my 650. So I'm not sure a hard reset would do any good, but it might.

Could one of the folks who did a hard reset and now thinks their 700p is faster run a PBench benchmarking test and post the results? I've posted the link to the software. Once installed, it literally takes 5 seconds to run. It produces results in four categories, but the only one that seems to matter is the result for Data Access. I've run it on my 650 and my 700p and the other three categories were the same on both machines. Only the Data Access is worse on the 700p. It's down from about 900% on the 650 to about 575% on the 700p. (The number is the speed as compared to some older version of Palm. An m505, I think.) If people who have done a hard reset are getting better numbers than the 575%, then I might reset. If not, then I think we are all in the same boat. Thanks.

http://www.ive-software.com/download/pbench.zip
    Well, this is interesting and annoying. I did a hard reset and then tested with pBench. I got numbers into the upper 700's for data access. But as I was adding programs to see if any one program was making my 700p slower, I noticed that after every installation the percentage went down a little bit. By the time I installed everything I was back in the crappy 500 range-and yes, this thing is too darn slow.
    Then another weird thing happened. My phone was frozen on Blazer and eventually reset itself. Right after that I noticed that my 700p was much snappier so I tested it and found the scores in the 700's again. After about an hour it was back down to 500. Sucks.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    As long as you've done the one-at-a-time installation, any suggestions on which apps seemed to take the biggest bite out of your Data Access score?
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Have you tried the installing the latest version of PTunes?
    Of course. Look in the ptunes thread.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    As long as you've done the one-at-a-time installation, any suggestions on which apps seemed to take the biggest bite out of your Data Access score?
    Honestly, it was really pretty gradual. I noticed the biggest drop after I synced all my contacts/events/todos-I have a lot of data. Would love to figure this out, because after hard resetting the thing really is a lot faster.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Interesting. I went to Filez and found something useless to delete (a Ptunes skin I don't use). A 275k reduction in the internal memory brought my Pbench data acess score up from 566% to 570%. It looks like all this onboard memory slows the machine down if you actually fill it. Maybe it's time to go back to Power Run and run large applications off the card.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Yup. Just moved TCPMP over to run from the card (it can be done without Power Run, using just the 700p's native launcher) and gained another 10% in data access speed. The key to speed may be emptying the memory.
    Yup. Just moved TCPMP over to run from the card (it can be done without Power Run, using just the 700p's native launcher) and gained another 10% in data access speed. The key to speed may be emptying the memory.
    If that's the case, I hope Palm releases a firmware update soon.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Yeah, I didn't put pbench on, but after re-filling up most of my software, I noticed a gradual decline again

I have half a mind to go back and track with pbench, but after re-filling it up once, I don't have the patience to do it again today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    Then another weird thing happened. My phone was frozen on Blazer and eventually reset itself. Right after that I noticed that my 700p was much snappier so I tested it and found the scores in the 700's again. After about an hour it was back down to 500. Sucks.
    Sounds like a fragmentation problem in RAM. My understanding of the NVFS memory architecture is that as you start programs, garnet loads them from the flash chip (storage memory) onto the 32mb ram chip (program memory).

As you start/quit/change programs, the files on the ram chip accumulate and get fragmented by the memory manager of the OS (I'm assuming it breaks up the files when there's no longer a single block of memory large enough for the next file and thus results in fragmented files).

When the device resets, the RAM memory is flushed by a forced garbage clean-up process. (Zlauncher has a menu option to soft-reset) Should be an easy fix in the first ROM update to improve the memory manager/garbage cleanup process. In the meantime, I'll be happy to soft-reset my Treo from time to time to get better performance. It's still a huge upgrade from my old Z71
    HP95LX--->Palm m130--->Palm Zire71--->Treo 700P --->Palm Pré
    The problem is that a soft reset only partially helps the problem. The 700p is just plain slower than the 650 and can't be overclocked.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    The problem is that a soft reset only partially helps the problem. The 700p is just plain slower than the 650 and can't be overclocked.
    Hmmm, looks like I'll be waiting to upgrade.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    The problem is clearly not this simple, as many are experiencing a faster experience with the 700P. Clearly, it makes sense to do a clean install of any apps, and obviously, do NOT use system prefs from 650. That said, it seems there is something else going on with this variability....
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc
    The problem is clearly not this simple, as many are experiencing a faster experience with the 700P. Clearly, it makes sense to do a clean install of any apps, and obviously, do NOT use system prefs from 650. That said, it seems there is something else going on with this variability....
    The million dollar question is: is this hardware related or just a problem with 3rd party software? If tons of other people have great and fast experiences on their 700p's and they're installing whatever the heck they want then it wouldn't be idiotic to say that us suckers got slow treos and that we should return them now. I find it hard to believe that everyone's 700p would get this slow after installing 30mb of software-but that is exactly what pBench is reporting-everytime I added software, the machine got slower-RIDICULOUS.
    My data access was 1382% on my 650 and 581% on the 700p.
    hello all,

so is everyone basically saying not to "hot sync" the apps?

using my old 650 hot sync protocol...

thanks
    ~there is no spoon~
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    One of the problems is that we don't have a lot of data. Some people are saying that their 700p is "fast" while others are reporting that their 700p is "slow," but since fast and slow are subjective, they could all be running at the same speed. So far I have yet to hear anyone say that they've gotten a data access score on Pbench that is better than the 550 to 650 range. Given that, I'm not sure that I believe that these "fast" 700p's exist. I suspect we're all running at the same speed and some people simply have lower expectations.

For my part, I don't love the sluggishness, and I'd love my phone's sluggishness even less if I actually believed that other people's phones were doing better and mine was a lemon, but I haven't found it to be a huge deal in comparison with the new features.
    One of the problems is that we don't have a lot of data. Some people are saying that their 700p is "fast" while others are reporting that their 700p is "slow," but since fast and slow are subjective, they could all be running at the same speed. So far I have yet to hear anyone say that they've gotten a data access score on Pbench that is better than the 550 to 650 range. Given that, I'm not sure that I believe that these "fast" 700p's exist. I suspect we're all running at the same speed and some people simply have lower expectations.

For my part, I don't love the sluggishness, and I'd love my phone's sluggishness even less if I actually believed that other people's phones were doing better and mine was a lemon, but I haven't found it to be a huge deal in comparison with the new features.
    Considering that pbench is a free download at takes about 3 seconds to run, I find it surprising that none of the "fast" 700p owners have stepped up to the plate. I agree with you that it's probably just that people's subjective ratings aren't matching up with the objective results.
    Considering that pbench is a free download at takes about 3 seconds to run, I find it surprising that none of the "fast" 700p owners have stepped up to the plate. I agree with you that it's probably just that people's subjective ratings aren't matching up with the objective results.
    Another thing to consider is what programs are running in the background. Palm Internals will give you this information.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    hey let's just collectively rebel and return ALL OF OUR 700p's and see what the "retentions dept." will do for us now???
    he he he
    just kiddin
    ~there is no spoon~
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan
    Dude, I'm sorry, but if your 700p was as slow as mine you'd throw it out the window.
    Let me know which window you'll be tossing it from and I'll be sure to be under it when you throw...
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast