Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I'm initially guessing Butler or Treoguard. Nothing to really back that up, but those are the programs on my palm that I've always worried about adding extra strain to the OS.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    OK. I did a hard reset and then installed programs one by one. After I installed a program I checked pBench for the data access %. The weird this is that the % went way down after I imported all my contacts/events/to-do's. I didn't do anything else in that sync. Anyone know why this would effect data access rates?
    I think the 700 kicks. I do not use any launcher and it runs snappy. I do not notice the drag dialing from contacts.

Personally IMO, I think that the launchers slow up the works. They do make it look better and add some functionality, but they're not for me.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    I think the 700 kicks. I do not use any launcher and it runs snappy. I do not notice the drag dialing from contacts.

Personally IMO, I think that the launchers slow up the works. They do make it look better and add some functionality, but they're not for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids

Launchers have nothing to do with it. Even after a hard reset, the 700p is slower than the 650.
    This sounds a lot like my first 650. I got the 650 when it first came out (pay-for-beta- tester) and the dial from contact list was so slow!! However, after returning it and getting a 650 a few months later, it was much better.

Maybe some 700's are bad and need to be sent back. Honestly, mine has been great.

If it means anything, I got it directly from Palm
    VFMark results using the exact same SD card on both devices:

-----------650w/FAT32----700p
    File Create---198%--------198%
    File Delete---985%--------957%
    File Write----265%--------263%
    File Read-----928%--------843%
    File Seek----5900%-------3933%
    DB Export----471%--------451%
    DB Import----641%--------124%
    Record Acs--1645%-------1064%
    Resource Acs1669%-------1066%
    VFSMark-----1411---------988
    I had the opposite effect on my VFSMark results. However, my 650 was faster switching between apps and did not have the "White Screen" delay my 700p is experiencing.

-----------------700p------650-w/FAT32
    File-Create:------291--------158
    File-Delete:------143---------88
    File-Write:-------139--------148
    File-Read:--------814--------703
    File-Seek:--------3933------2950
    DB-Export:--------93---------100
    DB-Import:--------191--------522
    Record-Access:----1034------1131
    Resource-Access:--1097------1097
    --
    VFSMark:----------859-------766

Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Sounds like I'm going to be doing a hard reset, because mine has been agonizingly slow. 1-2+ second whitescreens when moving between apps.
    Verizon 650 user here.
    Anyone compare speeds between the 700p vs. 700w?
    Launching the Phone app is definitely slower. I compared it side-by-side with my 650. You press the phone button and wait a fraction of a second, then the phone app launches, then you wait a fraction of a second while the word "Sprint" appears at the top and the favorite button on the top left gets highlighted. The difference isn't huge, but it's a noticeable and annoying lag.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Launching the Phone app is definitely slower. I compared it side-by-side with my 650. You press the phone button and wait a fraction of a second, then the phone app launches, then you wait a fraction of a second while the word "Sprint" appears at the top and the favorite button on the top left gets highlighted. The difference isn't huge, but it's a noticeable and annoying lag.
    That's exactly what I'm noticing on mine as well, even right after a hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Same here. That and the fact that ptunes is so choppy leads me to believe that the 700p is much slower than the 650. Whether it's the addition of more memory, the way the memory is configured/accessed or a combination of both, I don't know.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnieeve
    Verizon 650 user here.
    Anyone compare speeds between the 700p vs. 700w?
    My 700w is extremely quick when changing apps, no delay.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    When I REALLY notice it is when you have the phone app display wallpaper, then show 7 rows of links (when having the dial pad you can only have 2 rows, I went to "wallpaper" so I could have 7 rows and overlap the wallpaper). It can wait 2-3 seconds when I have it that way, compared to only 1 when I have it as a regular phone.

Also notice it slower (considerably, but not intolerably) going to 'home' and 'calendar' (2day) as well.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Well, I think that might have been my bad. When I did the initial synch yesterday, I didn't rename the Backup directory from my 650 data. Now, the first sync specifically asked you whether you wanted to restore just the contacts/memo/etc, but I'm thinking that's where it got messed up. I did a hard reset and it's noticably better, even able to play ptunes without a problem.

I wouldn't say it's as snappy as the 650, but it's not a problem anymore for me. Oops
    Even after a hard reset, ptunes was choppier than on the 650. Boo.
    Have you tried the installing the latest version of PTunes?
    is anyone elses phonebook/contacts really slow scrolling through? thats th eonly lag i can find but its really annoying its pretty lagging behind when scrolling through contacts
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Mine is a little slow, but I'm not sure if I want to do a hard reset. I did a good, but not perfect, job of starting this 700p fresh and not just importing all the crap from my 650. So I'm not sure a hard reset would do any good, but it might.

Could one of the folks who did a hard reset and now thinks their 700p is faster run a PBench benchmarking test and post the results? I've posted the link to the software. Once installed, it literally takes 5 seconds to run. It produces results in four categories, but the only one that seems to matter is the result for Data Access. I've run it on my 650 and my 700p and the other three categories were the same on both machines. Only the Data Access is worse on the 700p. It's down from about 900% on the 650 to about 575% on the 700p. (The number is the speed as compared to some older version of Palm. An m505, I think.) If people who have done a hard reset are getting better numbers than the 575%, then I might reset. If not, then I think we are all in the same boat. Thanks.

http://www.ive-software.com/download/pbench.zip
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast