1.    #1  
    Just a heads-up. I've been testing things with PalmInternals and have found that keyshades 1.2 works much better than 1.3b1.
    Does the 700p have the bug that makes the keyboard lights turn on when the screen brightness is changed?
    yep
    Oh well. Second question, then - does keyshades turn them back off again?

If it doesn't, I can look into fixing that, at least. I'm not sure what I can do to fix the slowdown it causes; I'm not calling anything that should take any significant amount of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsey
    Oh well. Second question, then - does keyshades turn them back off again?

If it doesn't, I can look into fixing that, at least. I'm not sure what I can do to fix the slowdown it causes; I'm not calling anything that should take any significant amount of time.
    I'm using KeyShades 1.3b1 on my 700p (haven't noticed the slowdown).

Yes. Changing brightness with the keyboard lights off does turn them on again, but KeyShades is turning them back off immediately as it should.

When I press function+right shift (menu button on the 700p) to cut the brightness in half, the keyboard lights come back on dimly and stay on...even if I want them off. If I try to turn the keyboard lights back off, I lose the extra dimming provided by the function+right shift combo.

In really dark environments (theater, symphony, opera, whatever), it's nice to be able to dim the screen to the lowest settings and then press function+right to take it down by another 50% (i.e., ultra-dim mode). Unfortunately, the keyboard lights pop on and -- even thought they're dimmed -- are brighter than the screen. I haven't been able to reach this ultra-dim mode with the keyboard lights still off. This applies to both the 650 and 700p. Can you fix that?
    Motorola Startac → Samsung SCH-8500 → SonyEricsson T608 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p
    You can adjust the screen brightness in finer steps than you can achieve using the 5way nav by tapping the bar on the screen with the stylus. You should be able to use this to achieve your 'ultra-dim' screen without using the night mode, which as you have discovered implicitly turns the keyboard lights on.
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by doomsey
    You can adjust the screen brightness in finer steps than you can achieve using the 5way nav by tapping the bar on the screen with the stylus. You should be able to use this to achieve your 'ultra-dim' screen without using the night mode, which as you have discovered implicitly turns the keyboard lights on.
    Good idea, but after playing with it, I find that that I still quite can't get the ultra dim screen using the stylus. Ultra-dim = bring up the brightness control, navigate left all the way (so the backlight is off), hit right once, then press function+right shift. It's dimmer than the best you can do with the stylus (you gotta be in a dark room to appreciate the difference, but it's significant if you're trying to read the screen in the dark without drawing attention)...but the keyboard lights come on when you press function+right shift.

If you can find a way to force the kb lights off after fn+rt shift, I'd be mighty appreciative.
    Last edited by 4spammers; 06/11/2006 at 10:30 PM.
    Motorola Startac &rarr; Samsung SCH-8500 &rarr; SonyEricsson T608 &rarr; Treo 650 &rarr; Treo 700p
    Well, I was playing with it some and it seems that if you turn the keyboard lights back off, it exits night mode and the brightness snaps back up to normal. So there really isn't any progress to be made in that direction.

On the other hand, on my 650 at least I had no problems getting to a brightness equal to one 5-way step right and then adding night mode with the stylus. Just drag the thumb of the bar slightly to the left when it's as low as you can get with the 5way. If you drag it up from off the screen won't light up right away and it won't be as dim.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    i just got my 700p and put keyshades 1.3.1b on here. everything works as advertised, but i noticed that when on a phone call, the keyboard illuminates after 28 seconds. i have to hit the side button to turn it off and all is well. i haven't been on a call longer than 3 minutes so far, so i don't know if it'll come back on if on a longer call. anyone else notice this? it's very consistent. 28 seconds, and it's back on. does this happen in 1.2? maybe this is an easy fix for the full 1.3 version?
    Quote Originally Posted by fishheads View Post
    i just got my 700p and put keyshades 1.3.1b on here. everything works as advertised, but i noticed that when on a phone call, the keyboard illuminates after 28 seconds. i have to hit the side button to turn it off and all is well. i haven't been on a call longer than 3 minutes so far, so i don't know if it'll come back on if on a longer call. anyone else notice this? it's very consistent. 28 seconds, and it's back on. does this happen in 1.2? maybe this is an easy fix for the full 1.3 version?

I've noticed the same bug on my 700p with keyshades 1.31b? If this doesnt happen in 1.2, then i'll gladly switch back to 1.2.