1.    #1  
    undefinedundefined
    I purchased a treo 650 on ebay and it it a GSM unlocked but it is Cingular branded. I can make calls with my T-Mobile sim card in it, but I am wondering what updater to use?
    Phone info states: Hardware:A
    Firmware: 01.05
    Software: 1.04-CNG

Please help...
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    You'll have to use the CiNG updater unless you "de-brand" it by installing an old beta unbranded update (1.23, I recall?) and then installing a current unbranded update.
    Just go with the latest CNG updater if you are not inclined to do messing around...
    (Subsidy Unlock status will not change)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    You'll have to use the CiNG updater unless you "de-brand" it by installing an old beta unbranded update (1.23, I recall?) and then installing a current unbranded update.
    forgive me, but I am still very new to the world of Treo 650 and all this update stuff. How do I locate the old beta unbranded update?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulig13
    forgive me, but I am still very new to the world of Treo 650 and all this update stuff. How do I locate the old beta unbranded update?
    Do a search on this forum and you should find something. However, I would STRONGLY suggest against it. The reason I say that is I killed a Cingular 650 doing this. It would not even power on, allow a zero reset or anything. I had to send it back to palm. I am not the only one who did this either based on other posts I have read.

I would keep the Cingular ROM and do the latest 1.17 upgrade. If you really want to unbrand it, refer to the thread below:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=unbrand
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I have a Cingular branded phone that I unbranded. I"ve done it several times. IF you follow the instructions, everything should be fine. I've since gone the custom rom route and I much prefer it to the Cingular setup. You really have nothing to fear if you are careful.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I would download the latest ENA 1.20 rom and install it using the rom tool. Once the new rom is in place, you'd never have to worry about Cingular again.
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    I would unbrand. No point in having features you are not going to use....
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  9.    #9  
    SO WHAT "INSTRUCTIONS" DO i NEED TO FOLLOW TO UNBRAND IT?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulig13
    SO WHAT "INSTRUCTIONS" DO i NEED TO FOLLOW TO UNBRAND IT?
    Please refer to the post I put earlier (#5 above). You may even want to go back to post http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=unbrand and look near the bottom.

Please note that typing in all caps means that you are yelling.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    So I've downloaded the Grack.com ROMTool and have access to my "ace-palms" folder on my desktop. I'd like to unbrand the Cingular phone (which is already unlocked) so that I may use the Updater 1.20 for Unlocked GSM phones. I'm hoping that this will give me better phone reception with T-mobile.

Before I start deleting any files on my own, would anyone be so kind as to tell me what steps to take? Specifically, which files to delete (i.e. NetworkPhl_CNGW.cprcw or all files with the "CINGW" in the file name)? Once I delete these will my phone software string have an ROW or ENA ending extension (if not where do I get this?), and do I use the standard updater from Palm (http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...lockedgsm.html)?

When I try to use this Palm updater w/o unbranding, I receive an error message that this is incompatible with the CING version. I know that the directions said this would happen, but I think I saw a post where someone with another brand was successful.

Any comments or links to other posts are appreciated. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Why are you taking this approach? Just load the old 1.23 firmware and then load the Palm unbranded version. You may need to do the latter twice.
    Will this overwrite the Cingular settings? (See my post #10 above.) Thanks.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Maybe. What if it does? You can reenter them.

I went this route once - switched to unbranded for a while from AT&T. I didn't have to reenter anything. I'm currently running the Cingular software.