1.    #1  
    Unbelievable. Palm broke the intelligent number / contact dialing on the 700p. If you configure the phone app to interpret keypresses as a name lookup (and why this still isn't the default setting continues to amaze me - they did that with the 650) it now *only* interprets the keypresses as a name search. Type all numbers and it doesn't care. More proof that Hawkins isn't calling the shots in their "usability" division anymore.

Fortunately, it's not the end of the world. If you know you're going to be dialing a number, press the Option key first and it will switch to numeric dialing mode. Still, it's an extra keypress.

Is Palm trying to level the playing field with the 700w by making the 700p *less* efficient to use?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    They already screwed this one up on the 650. Switching over to "number dialing" only worked about half the time on the 650, so it's better that they get rid of it than have an intermittently working feature.

You're right, I do miss the Treo 600's seamless switching between name lookup & number dialing, and have no idea why they killed that feature. Perhaps another job for LudusAdmin...
    It's only a workaround - but you can hit the option button first and then you can dial numbers from the keypad.
  4.    #4  
    mshaw, yes I mentioned that in my original post. It's better than nothing.

Doug, I think the I only problem I had with it on my 650 was when I typed fast and it missed some letters/numbers.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Anotehr workaround is to avoid it altogether and just say "Call Joe Schmoe" via VoiceSignal
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    You're right, I do miss the Treo 600's seamless switching between name lookup & number dialing, and have no idea why they killed that feature. Perhaps another job for LudusAdmin...
    Just wondering how you got your 600 to do this. I have mine set to "Typing starts contacts search" under Display preferences. if if it gets to a point where a contact no longer applies, it just beeps at me until i backspace and find the right contact. It has never defaulted to the #s instead. Sprint Treo600 ROM 1.20-SPR
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Anotehr workaround is to avoid it altogether and just say "Call Joe Schmoe" via VoiceSignal
    Heh. I'd love to, but still not supported over Bluetooth, even on the 700p. If it is, let me know and I'm an instant switcher...
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj
    Just wondering how you got your 600 to do this. I have mine set to "Typing starts contacts search" under Display preferences. if if it gets to a point where a contact no longer applies, it just beeps at me until i backspace and find the right contact. It has never defaulted to the #s instead. Sprint Treo600 ROM 1.20-SPR
    Don't know. It just worked that way for me by default. The 650 worked that way too, but as he noted, it often dropped numbers when you did that which made it hard to use (you had to dial very slowly).

Anyway, it's been years since I had the 600, so I don't remember the exact settings...sorry.
    Does anyone know if this can be fixed in a future firmware update? I am assuming it could.
    Yes, it could, if they consider it broken. (The problem is as you get huge address books, the feature performed worse and worse).

I like the new way: option + number. It's fast and simple.
    Could you not do the option trick before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Palm broke the intelligent number / contact dialing on the 700p. ... Type all numbers and it doesn't care. More proof that Hawkins isn't calling the shots in their "usability" division anymore.
    It was one of the factors that steered me to the Q over the 700P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    If you know you're going to be dialing a number, press the Option key first and it will switch to numeric dialing mode. Still, it's an extra keypress.
    Learn something new every day. Thanks.
    When you turn on Typing starts Contacts searc, a tip box pops up stating:

"Typing will now search your Contacts instead of dialing numbers.

If you want to dial a number manually, press the Option key before typing the first number."
    Quote Originally Posted by DougKoz
    Heh. I'd love to, but still not supported over Bluetooth, even on the 700p. If it is, let me know and I'm an instant switcher...
    It is supported in the sense that you can speak to the caller hands free via BT. If you use a car cradle, it's a non issue.....I won't use voice dial while holding the phone in my hand as I feel stoopid....if my hand is free, I just dial.

But with it sitting in the car cradle, with my hand clasped on the steering wheel at the 3 o'clock position, I just uncurl my forefinger to the Treo side button. The VoiceSignal babe says "Say a command" and I say "Call Joe Schmoe", VS babe says "Connectiong and it switches to BT headset on 1st ring.

With BT dialing, I'd have to move my arm all the way up to my ear and take my hand of wheel so I do find the side button method preferable. Before the card cradle, I treid a belt clip but w/ bucket seats, a belt clip is a PITA....since the cradle I have no interest in BT voice dialing